Search

"Informative" button options for reader feedback

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2014, 11:48 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
"Informative" button options for reader feedback

As most of you know, the focus of my recent campaign for TalkBoard was promotion of some sort of "Like" button feature on FlyerTalk. This thread is intended to gather any and all ideas so that we overlook nothing and settle on the most promising of many alternatives.

I would like to discuss our wish list first, waiting a while to bring in any implementation constraints. As I've written before, Internet Brands has impressed me with their ability to implement features we want at or above the level of functionality we hoped for. So let's play sky's the limit for now.

As my fellow TalkBoard member CMK10 and I discussed on the earlier Like button thread, CMK10 is concerned that FT members could abuse a feedback button to inappropriately up-vote snarky posts. If that became the predominant use of the feedback button, any feedback numbers would become useless to readers other than these game-players. This soft of abuse did happen before on FlyerTalk many years ago with standard like/dislike voting, so the concern is valid.

My current favorite version of this proposal is a feedback button labeled "Informative", whereby readers can up-vote a post they find particularly helpful. I can think of several issues we need to discuss before settling on a recommendation and having a vote of TalkBoard on it:

1. Should there be a negative feedback button? (My opinion: History shows that abuse of such a button is too big a risk.)

2. Is there a better name than "Informative" button? "Helpful"? "Useful"? "Valuable"? "Thanks"?

3. Should we consider any other positive feedback buttons, such as "Funny"? (My opinion: Allowing this feedback could feed snark wars. OTOH, it reduces the risk that "Informative" votes will be abused to reward snark.)

4. Should the vote totals be visible to all or only to the poster? (My opinion: That's crucial to rewarding the poster.)

5. Should the handles of voters be visible to all? Visible only to moderators? Visible only to the voter? Visible to nobody? (My opinion: Start with visible to all and change it if any problems arise.)

6. Should readers be required to be logged in before the feedback button is enabled? (My opinion: I doubt that people will create an FT login just so they can vote. Having newbies be able to vote as Anonymous will build engagement so they may eventually decide to register and post.)

7. In order to reduce the risk of a disaster, we are likely recommend trying out this feature in selected forums before rolling it out site-wide. What forums would you choose for a trial? (My opinion: The acid test would be OMNI/PR, but an Informative button doesn't really belong there at all. So I'm thinking the prime targets are Information Desk, MilesBuzz, and TravelBuzz. Starting in a quiet forum won't reveal any problems, so that would be kind of pointless. So I'd say we should start in just one of the prime targets, like TravelBuzz or maybe Trip Reports.)

Reader feedback is a (minor) structural change to FlyerTalk which will have some effect on moderation workload. I think it's perfectly fine to discuss those issues in general terms here. I welcome the perspective of both non-moderators and moderators.

One positive change for both moderators and readers will be reduction of "+1" posts that mostly clutter FT's forums. Another will be (I hope) improved average quality of posts. The latter is the reason I am promoting this change.

Please let your TalkBoard know your opinions and preferences on the issues I listed, along with any other perspectives you have. Post here, early and often. We want to get this as right as possible the first time.
Old Dec 7, 2014, 12:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
I don't think there should be any sort of button. Too many of us visit FT on mobile devices due to travel. Also, some of us have satellite internet, and we have daily or monthly limits on downloads, and graphics count towards that.

However, if TB is bound and determined to implement something, here are my answers:
  1. No
  2. Thanks
  3. No
  4. Only poster
  5. Visible to none--it's yet more "clutter"
  6. Yes--otherwise, you may have people who will stay logged out to "vote" anonymously
  7. Information Desk

The +1 posts don't bother me. I highly doubt you are going to see the "quality" of posts improve due to something like this, nor will it affect the level of snark that permeates some forums. If anything, it will turn things into a popularity contest.
Old Dec 7, 2014, 12:51 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by kipper
if TB is bound and determined to implement something, here are my answers
The “jury is still out” with me on this topic, as I have no preference either way...

...so I am reading what FlyerTalk members think about this proposal.
Old Dec 7, 2014, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
We are not "bound and determined" to do anything in this regard. We're trying to gather input on the pros and cons of the idea. Many of us are completely undecided right now.

Bruce
Old Dec 7, 2014, 1:27 pm

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by bdschobel
We are not "bound and determined" to do anything in this regard. We're trying to gather input on the pros and cons of the idea. Many of us are completely undecided right now.

Bruce
Per the OP's post, they at least campaigned on it.
Old Dec 7, 2014, 1:38 pm

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
As I said on the other thread, I post on another forum that has a full range of these buttons and it works great - but that forum is rather less turbulent than FT. So my opinion is/are:

1. Should there be a negative feedback button? No - I agree that it will be misused

2. Is there a better name than "Informative" button? "Helpful"? "Useful"? "Valuable"? "Thanks"? Informative is a good bet. The aforementioned other forum has informative/useful. It also has a thanks button

3. Should we consider any other positive feedback buttons, such as "Funny"?
Yes - I'd suggest informative, thanks, and a good skills button for nice pics etc, maybe a sympathy button too?

4. Should the vote totals be visible to all or only to the poster? Visible to all

5. Should the handles of voters be visible to all? Visible only to moderators? Visible only to the voter? Visible to nobody? Visible to all - that way it becomes clear who is abusing it

6. Should readers be required to be logged in before the feedback button is enabled?
Yes

7. In order to reduce the risk of a disaster, we are likely recommend trying out this feature in selected forums before rolling it out site-wide. What forums would you choose for a trial? Good idea - maybe start in destination forums and trip reports
Old Dec 7, 2014, 2:26 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
websites I've used today that offer feEdback

TB Topics Forum Moderator hat OFF (though my moderator experience does tinge my suggestions).

Sites I've used today that include feedback:

Amazon offers:

5 Comments | (Link to comments made)
Was this review helpful to you? Yes | No
The comments can be useful, but can be politicized - as can be the "No" option. And I notice the "Comments" often go off-topic and sometimes get personal.

Trip Advisor offers:

Was this review helpful? Yes
There's no "No"; you choose to reply affirmatively or move. Simple, effective, no opportunity for snark abuse or personalization.

WebMD offers:

7 people found this review helpful.
Was this review helpful? Yes | No Report This Post[
Good place for RBP, "No" gives power to disruptive folks if it works; on WebMD it apparently has no purpose other to allow venting, because it has NO effect on "Was this review helpful?" nor the count which apparently only reports "Yes" votes, not bad!

The post report is quite limited "Report" an abusive or offensive post without comment possibility or "Cancel", inadequate, IMO.

None of these sites allow one to see who posted an affirmative or negative vote from what I've seen.

I personally prefer "Was this post helpful?" with the number who clicked on "Yes". Not much chance for abuse or deviltry here, but it can help members find the nuggets of gold among the sands of discussion and many posts.

I like simplicity, and programming in who voted, comments, etc. fails, IMO, the "KISS" principle.

Good idea to trial in one forum or more, such as product reviews like Travel Products or reports such as Trip Reports, or perhaps a busier destination forum. And like all functions other than reading FT, only available to logged in members.

I don't believe we should have minimum criteria (e.g. post or tenure) for responses if we use a simple "Was this post helpful?"

Last edited by JDiver; Dec 7, 2014 at 2:44 pm
Old Dec 7, 2014, 3:11 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by bdschobel

Bruce
Originally Posted by kipper
Per the OP's post, they at least campaigned on it.
I know I was mentioned in the OP's post, but I can attest to us not being "bound and determined" to do so as well, especially as right now I am against the implementation of any such button.

I do like Kipper's argument though, "Was This Post Helpful?" is something I hadn't really thought much about so I'll keep an open mind on it.
Old Dec 7, 2014, 4:04 pm
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
In another forum I'm active in you can rate posts in a variety of ways, over there I personally like "useful" and "thanks" (the former being a mini spanner and the latter just a capital "T" symbol).

The plug-in allows members to see who "rated" the post.

Personally, any negative comments (as in thumps down etc) would not be helpful on FT.
Old Dec 7, 2014, 4:29 pm

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by JDiver
Trip Advisor offers:

Was this review helpful? Yes

There's no "No"; you choose to reply affirmatively or move. Simple, effective, no opportunity for snark abuse or personalization.
While I'm not sold on the whole concept if it has to be I'd favor something like this for the reasons JDiver summarized.
Old Dec 7, 2014, 7:26 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
I apologize for any implication that other TalkBoard members were on board with the rough outline I posted on TalkBoard Topics. I wrote that post under time pressure and I didn't consider the possibility that readers might infer that we had counted votes or anything like that.

As I wrote in my campaign statement, I am well aware that getting 6 votes for anything will be quite a challenge. That's exactly why I want to find the best proposal before asking anyone to support it.
Old Dec 7, 2014, 7:40 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
I say no to any type of preference button ...

Last edited by JDiver; Dec 8, 2014 at 7:40 am Reason: to discuss moderation, please contact the moderators by RBP / AMP
Old Dec 8, 2014, 11:20 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Back when I was on TB (oh wait, that was only a few days ago )...

My understanding from IB is that something like this would require a major change to the site. They didn't say they couldn't do it, just how many FTers are actually clamoring for it, and if there are many, then TB & CD signing off to push it up in terms of priority.

If you look at the other thread re: the Like button, FTers were approximately 50/50 on yes they wanted it/no they didn't. I'm not sure an even split is enough to ask IB to make this a top priority. I know it is for nsx , but is it for everyone else?

Speaking as a former TBer & as a current FTer, personally I'd rather see them devote resources to coming up with a good mobile app.

Cheers.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Originally Posted by goalie
I say no to any type of preference button ...
Without some really compelling rationale why this is necessary (and I haven't seen any yet), I agree with goalie.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 5:59 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by dchristiva
Without some really compelling rationale why this is necessary (and I haven't seen any yet), I agree with goalie.
Agree with you and Goalie.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.