Wiki Posts
Search

Suggestions for TalkBoard voting process - announcements and stand-down period

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2014, 11:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by tcook052
Let's imagine it was made it still would've left members a few scant hours at most to offer their opinions on the matter which I'm glad TB has finally agreed is simply not enough and is seeking to avoid these snap ballots in future.
As mentioned before, it is not the norm for voting to finish in 24 hours. Nor is it the norm for whether a motion will pass/not pass to be done in the first 24 hours. Please don't imply that it is. As someone who voted 49 times I know it's not.

Because it is not the norm, TB technically doesn't need to change anything. However, to make sure there isn't an issue* moving forward TB is pro-actively looking at amending the guidelines.

* Even with a time lag implemented, that still won't necessarily mean that people will notice the site wide announcement or care enough about something that's being voted on to come to the forum to participate. Nor will it change folk posting their unhappiness if a decision is made that they don't like even if others do.

Cheers.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by lin821
That still doesn't address the hot issues the last motion ran into when voting concluded before interested members could voice their opinions and be properly heard publicly.

+10000

I would even go further to mandate a say 5-day window (after the sitewide public announcement is made) before any voting takes place.
koko's potential motion isn't a final one & as I mentioned, we know where he wants to go with it but the wording isn't really going to get him there. It will get changed.

Let's also clarify something. There was discussion in 2012, 2013, & 2014 re: the premium fare forum. The motion wasn't created out of thin air*, and it was even tweaked based on input in the 2014 discussion thread before it was formally made into a motion. If the sitewide announcement had gone up there may or may not have been additional input before voting concluded.

It figures with Murphy's Law that the one time something got decided so quickly that it would turn out to be a hot issue.

* Motions in general (for those not familiar with TB) are not done out of thin air or because TB has nothing better to do. Usually they come about from discussions in the public forum & are discussed both in the public & private forum.

Cheers.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 11:28 am

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
* Even with a time lag implemented, that still won't necessarily mean that people will notice the site wide announcement or care enough about something that's being voted on to come to the forum to participate. Nor will it change folk posting their unhappiness if a decision is made that they don't like even if others do.
True, but with implemented time lag, at least TB could justify the final decisions because members were given the opportunities to have their say.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 11:36 am

Programs: HH Silver
Nor is it the norm for whether a motion will pass/not pass to be done in the first 24 hours. Please don't imply that it is. As someone who voted 49 times I know it's not.
I don't need to imply anything as the public record shows that when you include this vote to create the Citibank | ThankYou Rewards forum there actually have been 3 occasions this year of 24 hours or less between formal motion posting and close of balloting. Three times is hardly an outlier and is to me a clear trend of snap voting than seems to becoming the norm.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 11:45 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I don't need to imply anything as the public record shows that when you include this vote to create the Citibank | ThankYou Rewards forum there actually have been 3 occasions this year of 24 hours or less between formal motion posting and close of balloting. Three times is hardly an outlier and is to me a clear trend of snap voting than seems to becoming the norm.
Please be more careful in the words you use. That vote, on the Citi/ThankYou forum, got the requisite six yes votes to PASS within 24 hours, specifically August 20-21 a period of about twenty hours, but the VOTE did not close until September 2, roughly thirteen days.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 11:55 am

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Please be more careful in the words you use. That vote, on the Citi/ThankYou forum, got the requisite six yes votes to PASS within 24 hours, specifically August 20-21 a period of about twenty hours, but the VOTE did not close until September 2, roughly thirteen days.
Yes an oversight however doesn't change the fact that despite voting not closing TB still announced a motion and passed it within 24 hours, something that it did 3 times this year according to public record and to me that's a trend and not not the one-off as is being implied happened in the creation of the Premium Fare deals forum.

Last edited by tcook052; Nov 25, 2014 at 12:01 pm
Old Nov 25, 2014, 12:08 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Outliners shouldn't be ignored either, especially in TB Guidelines...

As mentioned before, it is not the norm for voting to finish in 24 hours.
It figures with Murphy's Law that the one time something got decided so quickly that it would turn out to be a hot issue.
Protocols are mostly challenged when the least unexpected and/or outliers happen, which gives us the opportunities to checks and balances then improve.

On top of my head, I can think of 2 things in the past that were not the norm but made us reconsider status quo and later implement in a newer TB Guidelines:

1. Eligibility of TB candidates;
2. Abstain votes.

Neither issue was the norm, but that didn't make it any less important. The most recent Premium Fare Deals Forum motion just highlighted another neglected aspect of current TB Guidelines that indeed calls for attention in 2015 TBers. YMMV.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 12:28 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Yes an oversight however doesn't change the fact that despite voting not closing TB still announced a motion and passed it within 24 hours, something that it did 3 times this year according to public record and to me that's a trend and not not the one-off as is being implied happened in the creation of the Premium Fare deals forum.
I agree with you. I'm just saying that not everyone on TB has been rushing to vote as quickly as possible. In the three examples, the evidence just says that (at least) six TB members voted almost instantly (within approximately the first 24 hours), not that everyone on TB does this.

In fact, I've been annoyed this year at the pressure to vote quickly versus taking the time to go back and carefully reread the entire thread about the issue and think about it (sometimes printing out the thread in order to facilitate seeing whether the positive and negative comments are from a small group of people repeatedly stating their opinion in the thread versus many different people expressing their opinions) in addition to participating and reading posts as they appear.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by lin821
Protocols are mostly challenged when the least unexpected and/or outliers happen, which gives us the opportunities to checks and balances then improve.

Neither issue was the norm, but that didn't make it any less important. The most recent Premium Fare Deals Forum motion just highlighted another neglected aspect of current TB Guidelines that indeed calls for attention in 2015 TBers.
You do realize that we're in agreement, right? My stating that it's not the norm doesn't mean I don't agree the process can't be tweaked/improved & have said that in both the premium forum closed thread, in this one, and in the private TB forum (even before this thread got started).

Cheers.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 12:58 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Actually, this may have happened a LOT in the past (a motion getting the requisite 6 votes yes or 4 votes no LONG before the voting closed and the final announcement was made).

But relatively recently a new policy was put in place by the TB to announce when the requisite votes were achieved even if the final vote had not yet been cast (the reasoning being that it was cruel to have people continue to bang away debating an issue when the matter had already been settled and we were just waiting for the last votes to trickle in).

So this phenomenon has only been measurable for a relatively short period of time.

Which is interesting. But also moot, as it seems to me that the TB now realizes there is a problem, and the only question left is how exactly to fix it. ^
Old Nov 25, 2014, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by kokonutz
Actually, this may have happened a LOT in the past (a motion getting the requisite 6 votes yes or 4 votes no LONG before the voting closed and the final announcement was made).

But relatively recently a new policy was put in place by the TB to announce when the requisite votes were achieved even if the final vote had not yet been cast (the reasoning being that it was cruel to have people continue to bang away debating an issue when the matter had already been settled and we were just waiting for the last votes to trickle in).

So this phenomenon has only been measurable for a relatively short period of time.

Which is interesting. But also moot, as it seems to me that the TB now realizes there is a problem, and the only question left is how exactly to fix it. ^
You're more optimistic than I am. I don't think that everyone on TB appreciates the problem.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
You're more optimistic than I am. I don't think that everyone on TB appreciates the problem.
Then I will MAKE them!!! BWWWWAAAAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!
Old Nov 25, 2014, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by kokonutz
Then I will MAKE them!!! BWWWWAAAAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!
Speaking of which, koko I started the thread in the private forum so that we could tweak your potential motion. As I mentioned I know where you want to go with it, but the way it's worded won't get us to it. Since it's your post I can't copy it in the private forum, so if you would be kind enough to copy/paste it into that thread we can work on it. Don't head off for that turkey & pumpkin pie just yet.

Cheers.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 1:42 pm

Speaking of which, koko I started the thread in the private forum so that we could tweak your potential motion. As I mentioned I know where you want to go with it, but the way it's worded won't get us to it. Since it's your post I can't copy it in the private forum, so if you would be kind enough to copy/paste it into that thread we can work on it. Don't head off for that turkey & pumpkin pie just yet.

Cheers.
As posted in the private TB forum:

Here's the issue: our voting procedures and the public notice procedures are two separate sections of the guidelines.

So the idea of my proposal is:

Someone makes a motion and it gets a second. The President does not post the poll and call for the vote for at least 72 hours. After that, the Pres posts the poll and off we go.

Meanwhile, at the Legion of Doom...

As immediately as possible after the motion is made and seconded, the Vice President/Secretary starts a new thread in the public TB Topics forum with the motion and notes that voting will commence in 72 hours, and at the same time pings Carol to ask her to please do a site-wide announcement.

That leaves 2-3 days between the public and site-wide announcement and the start of voting.

Another option is to rewrite both sections to be a single section that includes all of the steps.

But I think I may be too lazy to draft that.

And here is the coded proposed amendment in case anyone wants to cut and paste and monkey around with it:

And here is how that motion might look:

The TB recommends that the TB Guidelines be amended thus:

PHP Code:
CVoting Procedures
i
. [U]Not less than 72 hours after[/U] [strike]Once[/strikea motion has been made and seconded the President shall post a sticky poll thread in the TalkBoard forum calling the question and announcing the voteThe thread shall be titled "Vote: [summary of motion]"In the first post on the sticky poll thread the President shall post the maker and seconder of the motion as well as the voting deadline and then restate the motion that has been made and seconded.

[
B]and[/B]

D. Public Notice Procedures
i
Once a motion has been [U]made and seconded[/U] [strike]put before TalkBoard for a vote[/strikethe Vice President/Secretary shall post a new thread in the public TalkBoard Topics forum announcing the vote along with the voting end date as quickly as feasibleOnce that thread is postedthe TalkBoard Vice President/Secretary will submit a request to the FlyerTalk Host or representative to create an site-wide announcment of the vote with a link to the discussion/voting thread in the TalkBoard Topics ForumThe Announcement will be available until either voting is completed and a decision is made or the voting period ends
Old Nov 25, 2014, 2:03 pm

As I mentioned in the private & public forum, I've got some edits/tweaks as I know where you're going but with wording we're not quite getting there.

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.