Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Suggestions for TalkBoard voting process - announcements and stand-down period

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2015, 8:36 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
We batted the language around a bit in the private forum and here's what I have at this point:

I move that:

Whereas the TalkBoard would like to ensure that all posters have an opportunity to review and provide input on TalkBoard proposals before voting on them begins;

and whereas the best practice identified to accomplish this goal is a process under which a motion is made and seconded in the private TalkBoard forum and then the Community Director (or her designee) posts a site-wide announcement that the motion has been made and will be voted on and then 2 days later a TalkBoard voting period of 2 weeks on that motion opens in the private TalkBoard forum;

The TalkBoard recommends the following amendments to the TalkBoard Guidelines (new language underlined, struck language to be deleted):

C. Voting Procedures
i. Once a motion has been made and seconded and all aspects of the Public Notice Procedures in Section D. below have been completed, not sooner than 48 hours later the President shall post a sticky poll thread in the TalkBoard forum calling the question and announcing the vote. The thread shall be titled "Vote: [summary of motion]". In the first post on the sticky poll thread the President shall post the maker and seconder of the motion as well as the voting deadline and then restate the motion that has been made and seconded.

and

D. Public Notice Procedures
i. Once a motion has been made and seconded put before TalkBoard for a vote the Vice President/Secretary shall post a new thread in the public TalkBoard Topics forum announcing the vote along with the voting end date as quickly as feasible. Once that thread is posted, the TalkBoard Vice President/Secretary will submit a request to the FlyerTalk Host or representative to create an site-wide announcement of the vote with a link to the discussion/voting thread in the TalkBoard Topics Forum. The Announcement will be available until either voting is completed and a decision is made or the voting period ends.

While I have formally made this motion, it motion has not been seconded (yet) so I thought I'd put it out to the posters for more input in case anyone has further improvements before it gets a second (but act fast, it could be seconded at any time! ).
Old Jan 13, 2015, 9:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Looks good to me. Cheers.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 11:07 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by kokonutz
(or her designee)
I would not be specific with gender...
Old Jan 13, 2015, 11:31 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by Canarsie
I would not be specific with gender...
I thought 'her' was generic/universal!
Old Jan 14, 2015, 6:21 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by CMK10
Guilty Conscience?
Of course not. I have nothing to feel guilty about.

For the record, I've posted more than twice as many times in this thread as you have to date. In the very active big thread about "likes", as of now you and I have exactly the same number of posts, 25.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Jan 14, 2015 at 6:51 am Reason: added data in second paragraph
Old Jan 14, 2015, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by kokonutz
I thought 'her' was generic/universal!

I thought I posted this earlier... use "their" for neutrality?
Old Jan 14, 2015, 6:35 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The problem with "their" as a solution is that it's plural and it would seem strange to speak of community Directors here when we only have one. What's wrong with "his/her"?
Old Jan 14, 2015, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The problem with "their" as a solution is that it's plural and it would seem strange to speak of community Directors here when we only have one. What's wrong with "his/her"?
"His/her" is fine although "their" has become increasingly acceptable as a gender-neutral pronoun.

Last edited by rwoman; Jan 14, 2015 at 7:00 am
Old Jan 14, 2015, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
No need for any pronoun. Just "or designee...."

Bruce

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.