Reload this Page >

Close the recently created Premium Deals Forum

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 11, 2014, 8:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost to update; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

BACKGROUND TO THIS DISCUSSION: The motion to establish a Premium Fare Deals subforum under the Mileage Run Deals forum was passed 23 October 2014.

The thread discussing TalkBoard's consideration and implementation of the new forum can be read here: Should Premium Fare deals get its own forum?

Extract from the Motion Passed: Creation of a Premium Fare Deals Subforum thread:

Motion Passed: Creation of a Premium Fare Deals subforum

Moved by kokonutz and seconded by jason8612:

"The TalkBoard recommends to the Community Director the creation of a subforum called 'Premium Fare Deals' in the Mileage Run Deals forum."

Forum description:

"Discuss specific premium fare code 'good deals' including fare deals that book into premium economy, business and first class cabins. Once any fare expires, the title should be changed to note '[fare expired]'."

The new forum can be visited here: Premium Fare Deals
Print Wikipost

Close the recently created Premium Deals Forum

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2014, 11:56 pm

Originally Posted by tcook052
Yes voting did happen rapidly and IMHO too rapidly as had TB taken it's time on this matter a site-wide announcement might've draw more users into the debate and given some on TB cause to reconsider their planned vote. As it was barely 17 hours elapsed between motion being posted publicly and results of the unanimous vote being announced, far too short a time frame and something I hope the new TB would avoid in future.
Thank you, that's very relevant.

-David
Old Nov 16, 2014, 2:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by merrickdb
It's a lot easier to find relevant fares--and whether those fares are even still valid--just by looking at thread titles than by having to wade through a massive thread with a bunch of fare rules and replies about other fares. The OP notes that premium deals should be treated like other MR threads. I agree. Other MR fares have their own threads and these should too.
I agree, which is why I much prefer the new forum to the old thread. With the old thread, I found I had to waste time searching or scanning back through pages of posts to find relevant information, details, questions, answers, etc. about a given deal...if that information was available at all. The alternative was to reinvent the wheel by asking about a matter that was already asked and answered...assuming the new question was even answered at all.

Thus, under the old thread there were necessarily numerous discussions going on a once, making it tough to track any updates or additional information on a given deal.

Under the new forum, that information is packaged in a relatively concise, accessible manner. It's much easier to find out what information has already been provided and thus whether it's necessary to pose a new question, expand on a previous answer, etc.

Having said this, I understand that some folks have a problem with the process by which the new forum was launched. I respect that, but to me it's water under the bridge.

I also understand the old thread's advantage of instant notification. It wasn't important to me, but I can see how others can value it more. Which brings me to...

Originally Posted by kokonutz
One of the biggest complaints about the thread was that people were subscribed to it, and anytime anyone posted ANYTHING that was not a new fare, the subscribers complained that they were getting needless notifications (I got yelled at for this myself on several occasions by subscribers).

Frankly, other than the notification issue, I don't see much wrong with the new forum. It could use a fare post format requirement and perhaps (just perhaps) some more aggressive merging.

Here's a thought: posters could agree to a convention where when they post a new fare thread they also voluntarily post the thread title (in a format proscribed by the mods) in the a sticky thread titled 'Notification thread' so that subscribers to that thread could get notification and then pop over to FlyerTalk and see what the fare is all about. There is more than one way to skin a cat. We could have our cake and eat it too. Insert more hoary cliches here.
In the spirit of hoary cliches, let's not let the perfect be the enemy of the good. While this approach is far from ideal, I don't think there's an ideal solution out there. This might be worth trying.
Old Nov 16, 2014, 9:19 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Voting happened pretty rapidly, so a decision was known before the CD had time to post the site wide announcement.
The Talk Board needs to come up with something better. If a member doesn't regularly follow the Talk Board forum, and the site-wide announcements aren't getting out before the voting concludes, maybe there should be a period of time that you can't vote so members can participate in the discussion. For instance, introduce a motion and require at least 5 days before the voting can commence so members can give feedback.
Old Nov 16, 2014, 10:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by tom911
The Talk Board needs to come up with something better. If a member doesn't regularly follow the Talk Board forum, and the site-wide announcements aren't getting out before the voting concludes, maybe there should be a period of time that you can't vote so members can participate in the discussion. For instance, introduce a motion and require at least 5 days before the voting can commence so members can give feedback.
I like that idea!
Old Nov 16, 2014, 11:07 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
I totally agree.

Old Nov 16, 2014, 11:07 am

Programs: CO one pass gold
Premium Deals Forum

I'm not a poster, because I've never found a premium deal. But I have been a reader for some years.

I like the recently created forum. I find it much easier to read than the old one, which often had too much information for my purposes. We fly on our own dime, for visiting our family and as tourists, so to maintain our silver or gold status, we have to confine ourselves to Star Alliance flights (UA has good connections from Cleveland to San Diego and Miami, where our grandkids live) and I find it easier to pick out the Star Alliance flights in the new forum. In fact, I would like it even more if a logo showing the alliance was put in each posting, since I don't keep a list of all member airlines.

Since I don't post, I probably won't vote if this comes to a head, since I think the posters are doing the work, and should decide how and where to post.
Old Nov 16, 2014, 11:39 am

Programs: QF QR Silver, DJ,TG,MH
Originally Posted by LIH Prem
We can agree to disagree. I will say that IMHO the important thing is to solve the notification issue now, reasonably.

-David
Why is this instant notice so important ?

Are some FTer's so gluttonous that if they miss "one goodun", it's the end of the world.
I suspect we are not talking about Good Premium Deals, as in Sale Day. We are inferring to that once in while (as they do), this gem of a mistake fare will land.

We are a compulsively greedy mob, are we not ?
As long as I get in first ........
Old Nov 16, 2014, 12:45 pm
Original Poster

Some history on the GDPT (Good Deal Premium Thread):

From 2006-2009 the single thread existed (*this is before my time on FT): http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milea...ium-fares.html
In 2010 the thread became an annual thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milea...es-2010-a.html
2011: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milea...es-2011-a.html
2012: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milea...es-2012-a.html
2013: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milea...es-2013-a.html
2014: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/premi...es-2014-a.html

Some of the metrics of those threads

2006-09: 4,000+ posts, 980k+ views
2010: 1300+ posts, 270k+ views
2011: 1900+ posts, 520K+ views
2012: 2400+ posts, 820K+ views
2013: 2300+ posts, 1.2 million views
2014: 3200+ posts, 1.5 million+ views (and the year was still not over).

*These numbers are not perfect (for numerous reasons) but hopefully they have demonstrated the growing popularity/interest in the thread.

What made the existing thread so popular in the MR deals forum? I my opinion:
1) It was the place to post and find “above average to great” airfares that book into premium cabins.
2) Instant notification would be sent out to members interested in the thread.
3) High signal (posted fares) and low noise (all other posts).
4) Ease of posting. Single posts only, no need to be concerned creating a thread with certain title guidelines.
5) Numerous fares that got posted were great Mileage Runs (the best ones certainly were).
6) The hard work of all actively participating FT members in the MR Deals Forum to post deals, help manage the thread with minimal posting, and cleaning up the thread when needed (for example: breaking out popular fares (mini-jumbos/jumbos) into there own thread).

The thread has effectively been killed with the creation of this new forum. This fact is unacceptable to me. At mod request, no new fares have been posted into the thread as of 10/25/2014: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23735837-post3272.html

If closing the new Forum brings back this very popular thread in the Mileage Run Deals forum, then I am for closure.
Old Nov 16, 2014, 12:54 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
But whose responsibility is it to alert the members of any particular forum? I've posted links before when I've seen a topic being discussed in the Talk Board forum that might be of interest to users in an individual forum, and I've seen other members do the same thing when OMNI changes were afoot, alerting members in that forum. I don't think FT has any rule spelling out "who" has to alert the members in a specific forum. In this case, you could have been the member to alert others in the existing thread when you saw the discussion here. There's just nothing in the rules that requires the forum moderators or Talk Board members to bear that responsibility. Any member can take on that task on and post the message. Maybe it's something the new Talk Board would want to create policy on.

Wasn't there a decision a few years ago that all Talk Board motions/votes-in-progress would display as a banner across all the forums of FT, much like the election banner I've seen this week (mine doesn't appear today but I have seen it a few times this week)? Did that banner not appear to alert all members they were considering a motion and voting on a new forum? Wouldn't that be adequate notice if it appeared?

edited to add: Here's the motion the Talk Board passed in 2011 requiring the notification across all forums:
It never happened. In addition to no post in the premium thread that a discussion was taking place; no site wide alert to the motion was made. The vast majority of users didn't know a discussion even took place until after the new forum was created. Even a moderator used the term "dropped into our laps."
Old Nov 16, 2014, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by seacarl
I agree with CokeAndTaco

The old thread provided a single place that one could check once or twice a day for any fares of noteworthy interest. It provided instant notifications of new messages. It allowed for the needed discussion or clarification of questions without getting cluttered (sometimes some clean-up). It minimized duplication of fares. It also made the fares visible to those who cared enough to keep up with the thread without waving red flags that might get fares closed down, and therefore encourage posting interesting fares.

The new forum isn't working.
+1
Old Nov 16, 2014, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by CokeandTaco

From 2006-2009 the single thread existed (*this is before my time on FT): http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milea...ium-fares.html
In 2010 the thread became an annual thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milea...es-2010-a.html

*These numbers are not perfect (for numerous reasons) but hopefully they have demonstrated the growing popularity/interest in the thread.

1) It was the place to post and find “above average to great” airfares that book into premium cabins.
4) Ease of posting. Single posts only, no need to be concerned creating a thread with certain title guidelines.
5) Numerous fares that got posted were great Mileage Runs (the best ones certainly were).
6) The hard work of all actively participating FT members in the MR Deals Forum to post deals, help manage the thread with minimal posting, and cleaning up the thread when needed (for example: breaking out popular fares (mini-jumbos/jumbos) into there own thread).

The thread has effectively been killed with the creation of this new forum. This fact is unacceptable to me. At mod request, no new fares have been posted into the thread as of 10/25/2014: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23735837-post3272.html

If closing the new Forum brings back this very popular thread in the Mileage Run Deals forum, then I am for closure.
+1
and +1 for the data points

Why kill something that was working so well?!?!
Old Nov 16, 2014, 2:24 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by skunker
The vast majority of users didn't know a discussion even took place until after the new forum was created.
I guess that just proves how few read the Talk Board forum. We have discussed, in the past, how the Talk Board can better communicate with the members, and the banner ad across all forums was meant to address that to some extent, but clearly it doesn't work when the vote is concluded in 17 hours and the banner never gets posted to alert members there's a motion being discussed and voted on.

Maybe some of the new Talk Board members coming on board can come up with creative ideas on how to keep the membership updated on what they're doing in this forum, or how they're going to gather input from members who don't even know there is a Talk Board forum. I've had to explain to a number of members on one of our newer forums that moderators don't create forums or implement access restrictions. Some there seem to have no idea about the Talk Board's involvement in those types of issues.
Old Nov 16, 2014, 2:28 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
This is excellent, and I hope some member of the future talkboard will motion this.

Setting a time limit before voting can begin is not optimal, but clearly TB needs a cool off period.
Old Nov 16, 2014, 2:41 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU

I know you disagree, but the thing is, these are also arguments for replacing the single thread with a full forum. With that many posts and views, it's too unwieldy for a single thread.
Old Nov 16, 2014, 2:58 pm
Suspended

made the existing thread so popular in the MR deals forum? I my opinion:
My gripe with the single thread was the pace of posting. Yes you get the instant notification, but by the time I had time to actually check the thread, the fare I was interested in was already buried several pages down.
Now however, I can check the forum and see in an instant if there is a fare I might be interested in by just scanning the titles.
I prefer the forum structure of the thread structure, with the caveat that thread titles MUST BE UNIFORM and mods must AGGRESSIVELY ENFORCE the rules.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.