Reload this Page >

Close the recently created Premium Deals Forum

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 11, 2014, 8:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost to update; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

BACKGROUND TO THIS DISCUSSION: The motion to establish a Premium Fare Deals subforum under the Mileage Run Deals forum was passed 23 October 2014.

The thread discussing TalkBoard's consideration and implementation of the new forum can be read here: Should Premium Fare deals get its own forum?

Extract from the Motion Passed: Creation of a Premium Fare Deals Subforum thread:

Motion Passed: Creation of a Premium Fare Deals subforum

Moved by kokonutz and seconded by jason8612:

"The TalkBoard recommends to the Community Director the creation of a subforum called 'Premium Fare Deals' in the Mileage Run Deals forum."

Forum description:

"Discuss specific premium fare code 'good deals' including fare deals that book into premium economy, business and first class cabins. Once any fare expires, the title should be changed to note '[fare expired]'."

The new forum can be visited here: Premium Fare Deals
Print Wikipost

Close the recently created Premium Deals Forum

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2014, 5:44 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by jackal
What does it mean to have your "email address" compromised?

Do you mean having your email account compromised? If so, I have no idea how IFTTT could possibly cause that, because AFAIK, IFTTT never asks for your email account log-in details.

Merely knowing your email address and even sharing it with spammers is meaningless. A spammer can try to forge an email from your address, but the email headers will indicate it was sent from an email server not affiliated with your address, and so any action would be directed against them, not you. (Example: my email is @gmail.com, but someone spoofs a message from me and the email server is mailout.lowrentprovider.in.)
I'm by no means tech savvy but what I'm saying is that, somehow, someway, my email address sent out spam. What I'm not saying is IFTTT is definitely the cause. However, my first ever compromise came four days after joining IFTTT and a Google search suggests IFTTT's privacy protocols may not be particularly stringent.

Originally Posted by Calchas
Many poor quality ISPs and other servers do not require SMTP authentication. This is a holdover from an earlier, more trusting internet.

As such a person with knowledge of [email protected] can simply contact smtp.lowcostisp.com and ask to send a bunch of emails on behalf of [email protected]. It does not enable that person to receive emails, because the sending and receiving of emails is actually handled by different processes.

Without authentication, this is impossible to discern from Outlook contacting smtp.lowcostisp.com and doing the same thing.

Obviously this open-access policy is now strongly discouraged.

I advise danger to confirm with her/his ISP that they have SMTP authentication in place. If yes, danger should also ask that SPF protection be enabled on the domain to prevent the email spoofing that jackal discusses.
I've seen this "require authentication" check box in the setting somewhere, I think.

My ISP is iinet which I understand to be quite a big player, at least in Australia.

I have changed my password and will enquire with them about this SMTP authentication, thank you.

I've also changed the email address I use for IFTTT.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Many poor quality ISPs and other servers do not require SMTP authentication. This is a holdover from an earlier, more trusting internet.

As such a person with knowledge of [email protected] can simply contact smtp.lowcostisp.com and ask to send a bunch of emails on behalf of [email protected]. It does not enable that person to receive emails, because the sending and receiving of emails is actually handled by different processes.

Without authentication, this is impossible to discern from Outlook contacting smtp.lowcostisp.com and doing the same thing.

Obviously this open-access policy is now strongly discouraged.

I advise danger to confirm with her/his ISP that they have SMTP authentication in place. If yes, danger should also ask that SPF protection be enabled on the domain to prevent the email spoofing that jackal discusses.

More pressingly, danger should change his or her email password immediately in case this has been compromised.
Quite true, but any mailserver admin worth his or her salt will check the headers in the complaint (especially with SPF authentication becoming the norm now, too) and see that the spoofed address is invalid.

In today's internet, a spoofed "from" email address should NEVER be grounds for account termination. Any ISP that is threatening to cancel an account because one of their users' email addresses was spoofed on a spam email should go out of business for incompetence.

If all IFTTT did was post your email address on a spammer's forum so spammers could find your email address out (as if they didn't already know it--ha), then boo on IFTTT, but that would NEVER cause anything to happen that would get your account shut down. (It's practically a given that your email address is floating around somewhere out there in the spam world.)

The only way you can be accused of sending spam is if someone hacked into your account and actually sent an email from your account. And since IFTTT never had access to your email credentials, there's no possible way on earth they could be responsible for someone doing that.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 6:11 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by jackal
Quite true, but any mailserver admin worth his or her salt will check the headers in the complaint (especially with SPF authentication becoming the norm now, too) and see that the spoofed address is invalid.

In today's internet, a spoofed "from" email address should NEVER be grounds for account termination. Any ISP that is threatening to cancel an account because one of their users' email addresses was spoofed on a spam email should go out of business for incompetence.

If all IFTTT did was post your email address on a spammer's forum so spammers could find your email address out (as if they didn't already know it--ha), then boo on IFTTT, but that would NEVER cause anything to happen that would get your account shut down. (It's practically a given that your email address is floating around somewhere out there in the spam world.)

The only way you can be accused of sending spam is if someone hacked into your account and actually sent an email from your account. And since IFTTT never had access to your email credentials, there's no possible way on earth they could be responsible for someone doing that.
Good to know, thank you. I'll take this up with the ISP when I return to Australia at the end of the year.

And, yes obviously, the password I use for my email is not the same as the one I use for IFTTT. In fact, the only people that know my email password is the ISP. In a procedure I find strange and somewhat disconcerting, my password is apparently visible to the ISP and am I often asked for it when I call for tech support. But, again, this has been the process for more than a decade without issue.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 6:17 pm

if you aren't opposed to gmail, you can set up an account there (multiples if you want) with 2-step authentication. gmail is fairly secure on the sending side and the 2-step authentication help prevent account hijacks etc.

It's good to use gmail or other throw-away accounts for these things anyway.

Anyway, that's what I do.

-David
Old Dec 12, 2014, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by danger
In a procedure I find strange and somewhat disconcerting, my password is apparently visible to the ISP and am I often asked for it when I call for tech support. But, again, this has been the process for more than a decade without issue.
Your ISP doesn't sound very good.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 6:43 pm

Your ISP doesn't sound very good.
+1
Old Jan 13, 2016, 10:27 am

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
This is a bit of a necro, but I have to say, looking back, having a separate for premium deals has been spectacular. I love it.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 10:30 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by keitherson
This is a bit of a necro, but I have to say, looking back, having a separate for premium deals has been spectacular. I love it.
I do, too. More and more airlines want to monetize their front cabins. There are lots of legitimate discounted fares to promote travel when business travel is down. I love having a place to find and discuss each fare.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 11:04 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I do, too. More and more airlines want to monetize their front cabins. There are lots of legitimate discounted fares to promote travel when business travel is down. I love having a place to find and discuss each fare.
I'm glad to hear this, it's nice knowing some of our decisions are appreciated and also correct. Thank you for taking the time to post.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 12:47 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by CMK10
I'm glad to hear this, it's nice knowing some of our decisions are appreciated and also correct. Thank you for taking the time to post.
Please accept my appreciation and gratitude as well — even though I was not involved in that vote.

Although I do not visit it very often, the Premium Deals sub-forum appears to be quite popular and definitely serves a specific purpose.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 8:27 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
It's funny, my wife was just patting me on the back a couple days ago for helping to lead the charge for this forum. It's the one FT forum she still checks at least once a day (myself, I use IFTTT).

I said it before and I'll say it again: reasonable business class fares are the new elite status level (he said with an A-fare boarding pass in pocket for use later today). ^

This forum is the go-to place for that, used by FlyerTalkers, bloggers and, I suspect, even airline marketing teams.
Old Jan 15, 2016, 4:47 am

Originally Posted by kokonutz
It's funny, my wife was just patting me on the back a couple days ago for helping to lead the charge for this forum. It's the one FT forum she still checks at least once a day (myself, I use IFTTT).

I said it before and I'll say it again: reasonable business class fares are the new elite status level (he said with an A-fare boarding pass in pocket for use later today). ^

This forum is the go-to place for that, used by FlyerTalkers, bloggers and, I suspect, even airline marketing teams.
When it changed, I strongly preferred the former forum, but, I have to admit, give the plethora of deals out there in the last year, this works much better. (The old way could not have kept up.)

As for the loyalty aspect, I am still liking AA's program, I think you will be right in the very near future... simply buying the best value business class on any airline/alliance will be the best program of the future.
Old Jan 15, 2016, 4:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by 110pgl
When it changed, I strongly preferred the former forum, but, I have to admit, give the plethora of deals out there in the last year, this works much better. (The old way could not have kept up.)
Thanks for your feedback 110pgl.
Old Jan 15, 2016, 10:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by 110pgl
I completely agree and am happy to see if succeed despite my original misgivings which weren't helped by TB's warp speed of 17 hours from motion made and seconded to receiving enough votes to ensure new forum motion being passed. That was one of the cases that helped convince enough on TB to slow down and adopt a minimum wait time before balloting begins. Alls well that ends well.
Old Jan 15, 2016, 12:29 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by tcook052
I completely agree and am happy to see if succeed despite my original misgivings which weren't helped by TB's warp speed of 17 hours from motion made and seconded to receiving enough votes to ensure new forum motion being passed. That was one of the cases that helped convince enough on TB to slow down and adopt a minimum wait time before balloting begins. Alls well that ends well.
This is the main reason why I usually prefer trying things out instead of speculating what might happen.

With everything to which you referred, we can now look back and cite precedence and provide definitive proof of not only the success of creating a sub-forum of which there was initially significant trepidation; but also the revision of a process which contributed to the continuous improvement of TalkBoard.

If something fails — well, we learn from that, too. It is better to have tried and failed than to have never tried at all.

I have always appreciated your honesty and being forthright with how you feel — for what that is worth...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.