Wiki Posts
Search

New forum ? [for new member introductions]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2014, 5:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
New forum ? [for new member introductions]

I hope this is right spot. Is there any chance of having a new forum simply for introductions from new members ?

I know there is a very long thread 'Who we are" or something like that in Community Buzz. This thread is very long & quite frankly I can't stay with. Just kinda wondering if I'm the only one ?

Thanks for your time.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 10:01 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by coachrowsey
I hope this is right spot. Is there any chance of having a new forum simply for introductions from new members ?
A new forum or just a new thread in the existing Community forum? If you really mean forum, can you expand on why you want an entire forum for introductions?

. This thread is very long & quite frankly I can't stay with. Just kinda wondering if I'm the only one ?
It's one of many megathreads here on FT - the one you highlighted now has over 3,000 posts. I looked at two airline forums I post in and they have a combined eight threads on their front pages eight now with over 1,000 posts in each one. I don't find any value once they get past a couple hundred and think the material should be archived (and have made that suggestion on one of the airline forums). The Talk Board, though, does not exercise any control over that as it's a moderation issue.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 11:46 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Is there any chance of having a new forum simply for introductions from new members ?
Here it is, the sticky thread in the new Information Desk Forum:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/infor...roll-call.html
Old Nov 3, 2014, 11:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I've noticed that some new members start threads in the Info Desk forum to introduce themselves, but these threads get merged into the sticky (soon to be mega?) thread there.

I suspect that other new people introduce themselves in lounge threads of their primary fora.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 1:45 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I agree the current thread is someone unmanageable. I'd be in favor of doing what they do in the airline forums, maybe making a "2014 Who We Are" Thread and locking the thread at then end of the year and starting a new one next year.

But I can't imagine how an entire forum just for introductions would benefit Flyertalk.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 4:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
I was thinking of a forum like they do on one of the law enforcement forums I post on entitled " New Member Introductions ". Let each person intro. themselves as they join.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 6:22 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I was thinking of a forum like they do on one of the law enforcement forums I post on entitled " New Member Introductions ". Let each person intro. themselves as they join.
Flyertalk has over 500,000 members, of which approximately 10,000 log on regularly & are active. While I appreciate the idea, I don't think a forum just to say hello, here's who I am would really work given the numbers. I think the threads in CommunityBuzz, Information Desk, and the various airline and/or hotel forums are probably the best solution. Also, FT can't mandate that someone post info about themselves.

Cheers.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 11:31 pm

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by CMK10
I can't imagine how an entire forum just for introductions would benefit Flyertalk.
Agree. There are already far too many forums on FT so can't see why another should be added for introductions.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 7:45 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
We've ammended the thread title for specificity.

Members may wish to read this post specifying criteria usually used to assist determining the need for a new forum.

Thank you.

/Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.