Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

Should Premium Fare deals get its own forum?

Old Oct 25, 2014, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost to update; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

The motion to establish a Premium Fare Deals subforum under the Mileage Run Deals forum was passed 23 October 2014. The new forum can be visited here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/premium-fare-deals-740/

Extract from the "Motion Passed: Creation of a Premium Fare Deals subforum" thread:

Motion Passed: Creation of a Premium Fare Deals subforum

Moved by kokonutz and seconded by jason8612:

"The TalkBoard recommends to the Community Director the creation of a subforum called 'Premium Fare Deals' in the Mileage Run Deals forum."

Forum description:

"Discuss specific premium fare code 'good deals' including fare deals that book into premium economy, business and first class cabins. Once any fare expires, the title should be changed to note '[fare expired]'."
Print Wikipost

Should Premium Fare deals get its own forum?

Old Oct 17, 2014, 5:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by kokonutz
How's this:

The TalkBoard recommends that a subforum of Mileage Run Deals be created called 'Premium Fare Deals' for the posting of threads about specific premium fare code 'good deals' including fare deals that book into premium economy cabins, business and first class and that once that fare expires the title be changed to note "[fare expired]."
Sounds good to me.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 11:52 am

How's this:

The TalkBoard recommends that a subforum of Mileage Run Deals be created called 'Premium Fare Deals' for the posting of threads about specific premium fare code 'good deals' including fare deals that book into premium economy cabins, business and first class and that once that fare expires the title be changed to note "[fare expired]."
I like this!
Old Oct 17, 2014, 12:45 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU

I made this formal motion in the private TB forum this afternoon.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 7:10 am
Moderator: Avianca, Travel Photography, Travel Technology & USA

Programs: Emeritus VIP Fromins Deli Encino grandfathered successor program - UA MM & HH Diamond
See: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkb...-subforum.html
Old Oct 23, 2014, 7:49 am
Suspended

When will we see the subforum?
Old Oct 23, 2014, 8:13 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by dieuwer2
When will we see the subforum?
The motion just passed a few hours ago. Might be a day or two or it might be today. Depends on the CommunityDirector's schedule & her/the mods potentially moving over new threads.

Cheers.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 9:04 am
Community Director Emerita

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/premium-fare-deals-740/
Old Oct 23, 2014, 11:09 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Thank you. Forum is subscribed.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 2:12 pm

Yay! ^
Old Oct 25, 2014, 12:50 am

By my count: 24 total posts in this thread were made by TB member kokonutz, out of 99 total posts in this thread.

Only one (out of 4 total, rcs85551/jpdx/BiziBB/tcook052) forum Moderators (of the forum being discussed) contributed to this current thread. I feel a total disregard to past discussions (there are a number linked/mentioned in this thread) of this topic has occurred. No announcement in the existing thread was given. The existing Mods opinions/ideas/suggestions have been completely ignored. Not one TB member disagreed with the creation of a new forum.http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/town-...l#post23721617

I am personally disappointed with the FT board.

Of course I will move on....but wanted to voice my opinions in this thread.

I again thank tcook052 for his efforts in this discussion. He is an asset to FT and has a very good understanding of the airfares discussed on this board.

I really feel this new forum creation was pushed upon the general members. Past discussion was much more balanced and/or fair.

Last edited by CokeandTaco; Oct 25, 2014 at 1:21 am Reason: add link and information
Old Oct 25, 2014, 9:35 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Yet there are FTers who do participate in Premium Deals who do like the new forum.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/premi...thank-you.html

From what I can tell, those that are against it are concerned that by having the threads detailed vs. hidden in the mega-thread that the deals will be found out sooner & killed However, some refute it by saying most aren't mistake fares & the new format is easier.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23732686-post3347.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23732754-post3350.html

Cheers.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by CokeandTaco
By my count: 24 total posts in this thread were made by TB member kokonutz, out of 99 total posts in this thread.

Only one (out of 4 total, rcs85551/jpdx/BiziBB/tcook052) forum Moderators (of the forum being discussed) contributed to this current thread. I feel a total disregard to past discussions (there are a number linked/mentioned in this thread) of this topic has occurred. No announcement in the existing thread was given. The existing Mods opinions/ideas/suggestions have been completely ignored. Not one TB member disagreed with the creation of a new forum.http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/town-...l#post23721617

I again thank tcook052 for his efforts in this discussion. He is an asset to FT and has a very good understanding of the airfares discussed on this board.

I really feel this new forum creation was pushed upon the general members. Past discussion was much more balanced and/or fair.
(1) Moderators are moderators. In their capacity as moderators, they shouldn't be proponents, nor opponents.

(2) "Balanced and/or fair" discussion just because it appears lopsided, doesn't mean it isn't balanced and/or fair. For example, if there's a topic that 99% of global scientists support, and 1% thinks it is hooey, and the "fair and balanced" debate on TV consists of 1 scientist from each side, it is NOT a "balanced and/or fair" debate.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 10:33 am

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
(1) Moderators are moderators. In their capacity as moderators, they shouldn't be proponents, nor opponents.
I believe I said several times my comments were my own as a member, not a moderator. I've been on the MR forum(s) since signing on, far longer than being a moderator.

Last edited by tcook052; Oct 25, 2014 at 10:43 am
Old Oct 25, 2014, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by tcook052
I believe I said several times my comments were my own as a member, not a moderator. I've been on the MR forum(s) since signing on, far longer than being a moderator.
I wasn't making any particular comment related to your occasionally-malbec-influenced comments.

I was making comment re: moderators not commenting shouldn't reflect on moderators, generally. Your comments are worth their weight in loonies.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by CokeandTaco

We engaged in a collaborative, consensus process and it resulted in a consensus. That's a best practice as far as the Talkboard is concerned.

I have heard two concerns about the new subforum:

1) People will see mistake fares too easily and they will get used and shut down.
The Subforum was not created for mistake fares. It was created for legitimately offered good deals. The new airline paradigm is fewer elites upgrading and more discounted premium fares. The new subforum responds to this new paradigm by helping Flyertalkers identify those discounted premium fares.

And in any case, bloggers regularly post (and therefore kill) mistake fares anyway. Having them posted in this new forum will not kill them any faster.

2) People want immediate notification by email when a new post is made regarding premium fares.
Subscribe to the subforum's RSS feed for immediate notification of new fares: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/exter...2&forumids=740

As for moderator input, imho, it is always welcome and often very helpful. But moderators can sometimes be trapped in their own paradigm so it's also good consider the input of posters who have a broader perspective. We're all flyertalkers first and foremost and while imho the Talkboard process is not a perfect marketplace of ideas, it's better than some boards that are run like an administrator/moderator dictatorship. YMMV.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.