Search

Suggestion: Move Frontier EarlyReturns forum into Budget NA/SA

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2014, 9:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Suggestion: Move Frontier EarlyReturns forum into Budget NA/SA

With today's Black Wednesday e-mail announcement from Frontier that the EarlyReturns program (Ascent/Summit) dies February 20, 2015 in favor of a zombie-like "Frontier Elite" program with virtually no benefits, I'd like to propose that we also kill off the Frontier EarlyReturns forum and place Frontier where it aspires to be: In Budget North and South American Airlines.

Budget NA/SA is already home to Spirit and Allegiant posts, and if there's ever been an airline that wants to out-ULCC Spirit, it's the "new" Frontier.

Since the 2015 FF program will be practically nothing, and there's every indication that Frontier will eliminate the dregs in a short time anyway, I say put the Frontier forum out of its misery.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 5:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
With today's Black Wednesday e-mail announcement from Frontier that the EarlyReturns program (Ascent/Summit) dies February 20, 2015 in favor of a zombie-like "Frontier Elite" program with virtually no benefits, I'd like to propose that we also kill off the Frontier EarlyReturns forum and place Frontier where it aspires to be: In Budget North and South American Airlines.

Budget NA/SA is already home to Spirit and Allegiant posts, and if there's ever been an airline that wants to out-ULCC Spirit, it's the "new" Frontier.

Since the 2015 FF program will be practically nothing, and there's every indication that Frontier will eliminate the dregs in a short time anyway, I say put the Frontier forum out of its misery.
While the Feb. 2015 changes may impact the Frontier forum's useage, it seems to still be pretty active after a cursory look. Perhaps, once the changes are implemented, traffic may fall and warrant moving the thread.

In the N/S America Budget forum, looking at the first two pages, 32 threads relate to Spirit and 4 related to Allegiant.

If anything, I'd wonder if Spirit warrants consideration for its own forum?
Old Aug 7, 2014, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by rwoman
I think Spirit needs its own forum. Especially now that more people will be shopping around due to not so good FF programs out there.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 7:04 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I'm the one who suggested bringing this subject up here. If you look in the thread about the elite program changes there are at least half a dozen FTers saying they're done with F9. I could see traffic falling off greatly. It's something I'd consider voting for.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 8:02 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
I don't think devaluing, or even eliminating, elite status is a reason to close a forum. Likewise, I don't think angry initial reactions are a meaningful indicator of future flying or posting behavior. Every program makes changes, and every change is perceived as a devaluation by some posters. The early outrage often evaporates as people realize that what matters is not this year's program versus last year's, but rather this year's program versus the competition.

I would revisit this in 2016.

Last edited by mia; Aug 7, 2014 at 8:16 pm
Old Aug 8, 2014, 8:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
While the Feb. 2015 changes may impact the Frontier forum's useage, it seems to still be pretty active after a cursory look. Perhaps, once the changes are implemented, traffic may fall and warrant moving the thread.
Originally Posted by mia
I don't think devaluing, or even eliminating, elite status is a reason to close a forum. Likewise, I don't think angry initial reactions are a meaningful indicator of future flying or posting behavior. Every program makes changes, and every change is perceived as a devaluation by some posters. The early outrage often evaporates as people realize that what matters is not this year's program versus last year's, but rather this year's program versus the competition.
I'm inclined to agree. There's certainly no need to close it even before the changes have taken effect.

Cheers.
Old Aug 8, 2014, 11:17 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by mia

I would revisit this in 2016.
I would agree.
Old Aug 9, 2014, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]

In the N/S America Budget forum, looking at the first two pages, 32 threads relate to Spirit and 4 related to Allegiant.

Well, it's certainly tradition at FT that the forums are not for airlines per se but for airline programs - and if Frontier is gutting/eliminating its airline program, then it would seem to make sense to fold it into another forum.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, it's certainly tradition at FT that the forums are not for airlines per se but for airline programs - and if Frontier is gutting/eliminating its airline program, then it would seem to make sense to fold it into another forum.
It will still have a program with earning/redemption and elite benefits. Far more of a FF program than Spirit and other discount North American airlines that dont have their own forums.

http://www.flyfrontier.com/frequent-.../Elite-Changes

Last edited by CDKing; Aug 12, 2014 at 8:06 am
Old Aug 12, 2014, 10:12 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Yes and no. I think this was true when FT was first started and this was reflected in having forums named after the FF programs for a long time.

However, over the years, FT evolved so that the airlines themselves (basically flying them) was also discussed in those forums.

We recognized this by changing all of the airline forum names to emphasize that discussion of the airline itself is certainly appropriate, in accordance with the forum descriptions.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 10:58 am

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by CDKing
It will still have a program with earning/redemption and elite benefits. Far more of a FF program than Spirit and other discount North American airlines that dont have their own forums.

http://www.flyfrontier.com/frequent-.../Elite-Changes
It's going to have about the same program as Porter and they don't have their own forum.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 1:19 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Yes and no. I think this was true when FT was first started and this was reflected in having forums named after the FF programs for a long time.

However, over the years, FT evolved so that the airlines themselves (basically flying them) was also discussed in those forums.

We recognized this by changing all of the airline forum names to emphasize that discussion of the airline itself is certainly appropriate, in accordance with the forum descriptions.
Agree.

But getting back to the suggestion. I think it's very premature to suggest closing the forum given the changes in the program don't take effect until next year & we have no idea how the forum will change (or not) until after they're implemented. Heck, if we went w/ that we would have closed down the United forum on 3/11/12

Cheers.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Agree.

But getting back to the suggestion. I think it's very premature to suggest closing the forum given the changes in the program don't take effect until next year & we have no idea how the forum will change (or not) until after they're implemented. Heck, if we went w/ that we would have closed down the United forum on 3/11/12

Cheers.
Which, in retrospect, might have been a good idea. Kidding...kind of.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CMK10
It's going to have about the same program as Porter and they don't have their own forum.
Looking at Other North American Carriers, Porter has 7 threads with comments since the year started. 66 threads since 2007

Looking in frontiers forum, 7 threads with new comments just in the last 2 days with over 100 threads with comments in 2014

Last edited by CDKing; Aug 12, 2014 at 7:19 pm Reason: corrected stats
Old Aug 12, 2014, 7:37 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Merging forums can create critical mass but it also dilutes program-specific information. I see more cost than benefit to this suggestion.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.