Suggestion: Implement Entry Requirement for Manufactured Spending Forum

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Suggestion: Implement Entry Requirement for Manufactured Spending Forum

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2014, 11:10 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

As a moderator in the MS forum, I have observed that it's often actually the better established members of the community that make snarky posts. Unlike the rest of Flyertalk, there is the potential for an MS deal to be "killed" if too many people participate. Therefore, some of the experienced users are upset that too many "newbies" are causing deals to be killed, and respond to inquiries that they consider to be too basic with snark or attacks. Of course, this rapidly degenerates until the moderators intervene.

I don't think that restricting access to the forum will protect deals from being killed, because information on MS is readily available elsewhere on the internet. It will simply cause people to turn away from FlyerTalk and go to other forums.

The recent 100,000 mile AAdvantage Citibank offer resulted in a large increase of people participating in MS. There was an influx of new posters asking basic questions. In response, we have created several Wikis and tried to lay things out on the threads in a clear manner, further upsetting experienced people who are upset about making things too obvious like the blogs. If this level of activity keeps up, then additional moderators would help, but my guess is that it will die down as soon as Citi ends this deal.

I do not support restricting access based on some arbitrary criteria like post count, which has little to do with attitude. If there is a way to stop the MS forum from being indexed by Google and Yahoo, that might be worth considering.
Old Jul 7, 2014, 11:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by CMK10
After reading the first 15 posts in this thread (since moved to OMNI) I am convinced something has to be done about the MS Forum. When I heard "snark" I figured on the level of the DL/UA forums but this seems worse.
In reading through this thread again today, it seems many complain new FTers and/or snark is the issue.

Perhaps I'm missing something?

In addition, it seems there's concern about "deals getting killed" - isn't this always the "risk"? To me, it implies some sort of abuse of the system...
Old Jul 8, 2014, 6:59 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Again speaking only for myself as a TB member, I am not supportive of restricting the MS forum, am not supportive of shutting down the MS forum, am not supportive of creating a beginner & advanced MS sub-forum (because people will always miscategorize themselves) & am not supportive of moving MS back into MilesBuzz. I think that pretty much covers it for me.
While I'm not opposed to moving MS threads into Milesbuzz, I am largely of the same mind as the above.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 8:32 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by cbn42
As a moderator in the MS forum, I have observed that it's often actually the better established members of the community that make snarky posts. Unlike the rest of Flyertalk, there is the potential for an MS deal to be "killed" if too many people participate. Therefore, some of the experienced users are upset that too many "newbies" are causing deals to be killed, and respond to inquiries that they consider to be too basic with snark or attacks. Of course, this rapidly degenerates until the moderators intervene.

I don't think that restricting access to the forum will protect deals from being killed, because information on MS is readily available elsewhere on the internet. It will simply cause people to turn away from FlyerTalk and go to other forums.

The recent 100,000 mile AAdvantage Citibank offer resulted in a large increase of people participating in MS. There was an influx of new posters asking basic questions. In response, we have created several Wikis and tried to lay things out on the threads in a clear manner, further upsetting experienced people who are upset about making things too obvious like the blogs. If this level of activity keeps up, then additional moderators would help, but my guess is that it will die down as soon as Citi ends this deal.

I do not support restricting access based on some arbitrary criteria like post count, which has little to do with attitude. If there is a way to stop the MS forum from being indexed by Google and Yahoo, that might be worth considering.
Speaking for myself, this is pretty much my view.

The Moderators of different fora have different levels of snark and different levels of tolerance, and ways of dealing with it.

The AA forum was the king of snAArk for some time, but some guidance and careful moderation has stanched the flow of the truly vicious snark that occurred there. But, it takes time - changing a culture, even a forum culture, takes time, strategy and consistency. Even then, a very few will refuse to believe change is coming and may have to get swept out with the change if they are adamant about not participating.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 8:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by CMK10
After reading the first 15 posts in this thread (since moved to OMNI) I am convinced something has to be done about the MS Forum. When I heard "snark" I figured on the level of the DL/UA forums but this seems worse.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/omni/...mber-here.html
That thread was more an Omni thread to begin with, and the MS folk were saying the first few posts it should get switched to Omni. In looking at the MS forum that's not the norm in terms of content for threads located there.

FWIW - I've noticed in some threads I see in the hotel/airline forums that it's established members who are being snarky more than newbies. Not exactly welcoming

I was thinking about the beginner/advanced split again & besides the cons I related above, it occurred to me that it would be a bit hard to figure out the split. Let's say on the Citibank thing (using that as an example; have no idea if it fits). Since both newbies & oldtimers might be trying to take advantage of the promo, the topic would technically be in both forums. So do you have something that says well up to this point we'll provide info in the newbie one, but you won't have access to the more advanced part of it until you get to the other. How logistically would that even work?

I did look at another thread when on the MS forum that I thought might be of interest to me, & being a good FTer decided to read the wiki first before asking any questions. I didn't understand 95% of the wiki So I can see where some might ask beginner questions in the threads.

Cheers.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 11:45 am

Programs: HH Silver

Completely agree with my fellow moderator.

Yes, newcomers are targets of some of the snark but IMHO the majority comes when other more veteran forum participants seek to stop MS avenues being exposed and IMHO that really wouldn't change with enacting access restrictions.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by tcook052
Completely agree with my fellow moderator.

Yes, newcomers are targets of some of the snark but IMHO the majority comes when other more veteran forum participants seek to stop MS avenues being exposed IMHO that really wouldn't change with enacting access restrictions.
many people have the impression that those who just signed up are newbies to the game. they don't realize some may be new to FT but not new to the MS/AoR game. I just noticed that there are those who are so possessive of some strategies/tactics that they castigate others (via posts or PMs) who blurt out their well kept secrets/strategies. IMO, those are the leeches that need to be busted.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by Mamibear
many people have the impression that those who just signed up are newbies to the game. they don't realize some may be new to FT but not new to the MS/AoR game.
This is something I've often said & not specific to MS forum. People may be new to FT, but that doesn't mean they're new to hotel/airline programs, MileageRuns, travel in general, and can't offer good information.

Cheers.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 2:26 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by JDiver
Speaking for myself, this is pretty much my view.

The Moderators of different fora have different levels of snark and different levels of tolerance, and ways of dealing with it.
Is that a confession?

Some people perceive "snark" where there isn't any; and others ignore "snark" where it is.

Personally, I don't find "snark" in the MS forum to be disruptive to my utility for the forum; the notion that newbies need coddling or need to be excluded or that asking a question is best dealt with a non-answer response is more problematic in making the MS and "trick it" type threads useful for me. But that's just me.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jul 8, 2014 at 2:31 pm
Old Jul 8, 2014, 3:24 pm

Deleted.

Last edited by MsArbi; Oct 30, 2014 at 12:37 am
Old Jul 8, 2014, 3:42 pm

Thanks for your input & for finally registering on FT

Cheers.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 5:15 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC

Thank you for your post, nice to here from someone familiar with the situation there.

Is there anything TalkBoard can do for you and your fellow Mods?
Old Jul 9, 2014, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
While I have never visited the MS section as I earn all my miles BIS, if you cannot allow MR forum to have entry requirements you cannot allow the same for MS either.

OMNI makes sense to block as its completely OT anyways and just leads to post padding

CC obviously needs access requirements to decrease the chance of fraud, brokers, etc
Old Jul 9, 2014, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by caljr
i am not sure this read before posting rule is enforced enough. if it was, maybe other members who are allegedly valued by IB and flyertalk wouldnt be so openly trying to destroy the MS forum. (not saying you are)

i'm also not saying what you listed out as the problems arent true. i am just suggesting that the solution is more active moderation and enforcing the existing rules, not creating a new barrier to entry that wont stop the same problem from existing once the new wall is created.
So, it is OK for people to continue to ask the same questions over and over that have been answered, without taking 5 minutes to do a search of the thread to see if the question has been answered? I have seen threads turn into a super thread because people aren't willing to take time and educate themselves by reading the thread.

It is OK for people to come onto FT get into MS and when they get into debt for it, come back to FT and blame people who spoon feed them info? I have been personally accused of ruining someone life because I spoon feed them information about MSing. This is why I push the newbies to READ the threads to see where the game of MS was at and where it is today.

My biggest concern is the newbie not taking the time to educate themselves in the art of MSing.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
This is a perfect example of the newbies NOT reading the thread... I stopped going to this thread because the newbies kept asking about the $200 statement credit, 150-200 post just about that and the misinformation they had on it. IF they only read the thread they would have seen the correct info. Also the newbies were getting excited because the 100K didn't post the day after the statement closed. Again, this was answered by many and went on blind eye but the same questions were being asked over and over again. I remember one day I didn't log into FT, the following day the Citi 100K thread had 50 new pages!! Most where people asking the same question... I'm all for helping people, but at the same time people need to help themselves. Threads have a wealth of information and if people would take time to read them they would be better off.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.