Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

Should TB consider the limited possibility of changing only the Evangelist title?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Should TB consider the limited possibility of changing only the Evangelist title?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2014, 10:57 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by dhammer53
As one of the elite 300 , I'd prefer Big shot instead of my current title. Nice guy works too.
Now now. Let's not turn titles into a pack of lies!

<ducking!>

Old Jun 19, 2014, 11:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by kokonutz
Now now. Let's not turn titles into a pack of lies!

<ducking!>

Old Jun 20, 2014, 2:22 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
I have to tell you that as an oldtimer, you wonder why nobody votes in the TB elections. It's threads like this where newer members come to make fun of TB.

Can some of these conversations get any sillier.

Please send me a PM when there's a serious topic in this forum.

Just my 2 cents; and yes, I'm feeling fine today.

dh
dhammer53 I couldn't have said it better!

Why not just ask the 300 Evangelists their preference? It shouldn't be that difficult. Alternatively, just advise them if they want the title removed they can, since some don't know that is possible. That is what I would have done rather than be labeled "Committed."
Old Jun 20, 2014, 6:24 am

Programs: AS MVP, Hhonors Gold, National Executive, Identity Gold, MLife Gold
My feedback from a parallel thread:

I've been a member here for 7yrs, and I think today was the first time I learned that "Evangelist" was a title related to post count. I was under the impression that it was bestowed upon members that had made a significant contribution to FT. I was getting frustrated to see so many folks with the "Evangelist" label representing FT in a poor manner. I only learned this when trying to find the right forum to complain about these folks.
There's probably no perfect set of titles that everyone will agree on. But let's at least change the ones that are confusing.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 11:22 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by Pat89339
I have to tell you that as an oldtimer, you wonder why nobody votes in the TB elections. It's threads like this where newer members come to make fun of TB.

Can some of these conversations get any sillier.

Please send me a PM when there's a serious topic in this forum.

Just my 2 cents; and yes, I'm feeling fine today.

dh
dhammer53 I couldn't have said it better!

Why not just ask the 300 Evangelists their preference? It shouldn't be that difficult. Alternatively, just advise them if they want the title removed they can, since some don't know that is possible. That is what I would have done rather than be labeled "Committed."
I agree with my esteemed numerical colleague as well as with M. Hammer (and as to the latter, if you can have rabid Boston & New York sports fans agree on the same thing , think about what could be done here on FT )
Old Jun 20, 2014, 1:52 pm

Programs: HH Silver
Why not just ask the 300 Evangelists their preference? It shouldn't be that difficult.
Because you're likely to get 300 different answers and still wouldn't have a decision about what to do for further posters who break the 10K barrier. Do you want to ask each once as they're minted what their preference is? Seems awfully labour intensive unless you're volunteering to do it?
Old Jun 20, 2014, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I'd love to see the evangelist title changed to something/anything else
Old Jun 20, 2014, 4:09 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
Why not just create a field for "TITLE" in the profile and let people put whatever they want if they want a title....

Leave the space directly under the FT handle for official titles.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by wharvey
Why not just create a field for "TITLE" in the profile and let people put whatever they want if they want a title....

^^^
Old Jun 21, 2014, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by wharvey

Perhaps achieving a particular # of posts could faciiltate this option or the number of characters available?
Old Jun 21, 2014, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I'm against self-selected titles. It will just open a can of worms and/or give the mods something else to police.

Signatures became an issue and I suspect titles will as well.

I can already see the "PMmeforreferrallinks" titles
Old Jun 21, 2014, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by rwoman
Perhaps achieving a particular # of posts could faciiltate this option or the number of characters available?
I believe other boards use # of posts as the trigger to unlock this option. Disagree on # of characters, seems like a level of complexity that's not needed.
Old Jun 21, 2014, 12:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by OverThereTooMuch
I believe other boards use # of posts as the trigger to unlock this option. Disagree on # of characters, seems like a level of complexity that's not needed.
I interpreted the comment as suggesting that the number of characters being limited if people create their own titles so that someone's "title" can't be a description taking up thirty lines under the username.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 6:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There are only 300 Evangelists ?
Old Aug 5, 2014, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I poke my head in here from time to time for amusement, and once again am not disappointed. On boards that I serve (real boards, not internet forums), I try to evaluate what's best for the organization and reflect the underlying desires and beliefs of the members. There seems to be an "I don't like it, and I'm important, so I'm going to change it, I don't care what anyone thinks" attitude floating around.

Originally Posted by kokonutz
Actually, perhaps if everyone who feels like I do simply PM'd Carol and asked to have that stupid, stupid title take off of their profile as I did, then there would be no need for TB action at all. Because those who like the stupid title could still strive for it. Those who don't want to be associated with it would not be subjected to it.

Win-win?
Isn't that the status quo?

And perhaps they have. Perhaps the numbers are reflective. Or do you believe that 299 others aren't smart enough to figure out they can do it?

Personally, I was going to ask to have it removed until I reached the requisite number through real posts, not OMNI* cr@p. But I never got around to it and believe I've reached that threshold.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.