Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

Should TB consider the limited possibility of changing only the Evangelist title?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Should TB consider the limited possibility of changing only the Evangelist title?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2014, 8:10 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
An evangelist is someone who talks about something with great enthusiasm, which seems accurate for those of us with 10,000+ posts. If you want to avoid the religious connotations of evangelist here are some possibilities:

Enthusiast, fan, devotee, aficionado, lover, admirer, follower; expert, connoisseur, authority, pundit; buff, bum, freak, fanatic, nut, fiend, addict, maniac; geek,
Old Jun 18, 2014, 8:55 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
No. If titles are going to be changed, then I'd rather see something along the lines of what was proposed in CMK10's motion (which voting has not concluded on btw) re: adding different titles at different post counts, not changing just a single title.

Cheers.
Agreed ^

[QUOTE=MSPeconomist]
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
No. If titles are going to be changed, then I'd rather see something along the lines of what was proposed in CMK10's motion (which voting has not concluded on btw) re: adding different titles at different post counts, not changing just a single title. OK, but then we'll need to reach agreement on not only the levels but the associated titles. Maybe it's better to try baby steps and at least try to fix one little thing first.
No. And even if you did, say take a baby step and change one member title, what if when it comes down to taking a future baby step, the title change in the first baby step is now not a good/well fitting title? Now you'll need a motion to change that newly passed member title or combine that change into a new motion and all that did was create a waste of time

Last edited by goalie; Jun 18, 2014 at 9:02 pm
Old Jun 18, 2014, 8:58 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
I will vote for anything, anything that gets rid of the stupid Evangelist title.

Among them:

Change that title.

Change all titles.

Eliminate all titles except those assigned by the CD.

I personally felt strongly enough about this to ask Carol to take that stupid title off of my handle.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 9:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
I have to tell you that as an oldtimer, you wonder why nobody votes in the TB elections. It's threads like this where newer members come to make fun of TB.

Can some of these conversations get any sillier.

Please send me a PM when there's a serious topic in this forum.

Just my 2 cents; and yes, I'm feeling fine today.

dh
Old Jun 18, 2014, 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by dhammer53
I have to tell you that as an oldtimer, you wonder why nobody votes in the TB elections. It's threads like this where newer members come to make fun of TB.

Can some of these conversations get any sillier.

Please send me a PM when there's a serious topic in this forum.

Just my 2 cents; and yes, I'm feeling fine today.

dh
Oh Danny boy, the pipes, the pipes are calling
From glen to glen, and down the mountain side
The summer's gone, and all the roses falling
It's you, it's you must go and I must bide.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 10:05 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Frankly, I want some time before we consider anything. I want to caucus with the other TB members to find out who voted for what and why. I want time to get some input from other Flyertalkers, especially ones whose voices were not heard in the first two threads, and I want to get a new count of who's in favor of this and who isn't. This is a serious, contentious issue and I think this time it requires more time and careful planning. The vote was not nearly the slam dunk some people thought it would be.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 10:05 pm

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by kokonutz
I will vote for anything, anything that gets rid of the stupid Evangelist title.

Among them:

Change that title.

Change all titles.

Eliminate all titles except those assigned by the CD.

I personally felt strongly enough about this to ask Carol to take that stupid title off of my handle.
And it's an attitude like that brings about bad motions and does not serve the members at all (and not to mention that it doesn't make TalkBoard look good in the eyes of those very same members either).
Old Jun 18, 2014, 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by goalie
And it's an attitude like that brings about bad motions and does not serve the members at all (and not to mention that it doesn't make TalkBoard look good in the eyes of those very same members either).
Actually, perhaps if everyone who feels like I do simply PM'd Carol and asked to have that stupid, stupid title take off of their profile as I did, then there would be no need for TB action at all. Because those who like the stupid title could still strive for it. Those who don't want to be associated with it would not be subjected to it.

Win-win?
Old Jun 18, 2014, 10:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Actually, perhaps if everyone who feels like I do simply PM'd Carol and asked to have that stupid, stupid title take off of their profile as I did, then there would be no need for TB action at all. Because those who like the stupid title could still strive for it. Those who don't want to be associated with it would not be subjected to it.

Win-win?

^

This would likely please almost everyone.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 10:23 pm

[QUOTE=kokonutz]
Originally Posted by goalieAnd it's an attitude like that brings about bad motions and does not serve the members at all (and not to mention that it doesn't make TalkBoard look good in the eyes of those very same members either).[/quote

Win-win?
Members are free to have their title removed by PM'ing the CD but that's not what I'm referring to-it's the willy-nilly "I'll vote for anything" attitude which does a dis-service to the members. What if I proposed a motion to change the evangelist title to "chief cook and miles junkie" (or dare I say even something offensive) and the motion was seconded? That gets rid of the evangelist title so based on what you say, you'd vote in favor of the motion, right? So going back to what I said, your attitude is not a good thing for Flyertalk
Old Jun 18, 2014, 10:31 pm

Members are free to have their title removed by PM'ing the CD but that's not what I'm referring to-it's the willy-nilly "I'll vote for anything" attitude which does a dis-service to the members. What if I proposed a motion to change the evangelist title to "chief cook and miles junkie" (or dare I say even something offensive) and the motion was seconded? That gets rid of the evangelist title so based on what you say, you'd vote in favor of the motion, right? So going back to what I said, your attitude is not a good thing for Flyertalk
That's pretty funny. So sure, I'd vote for that! ^

Beats stupid 'evangelist'.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 3:22 am

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
Originally Posted by mia
An evangelist is someone who talks about something with great enthusiasm, which seems accurate for those of us with 10,000+ posts. If you want to avoid the religious connotations of evangelist here are some possibilities:

Enthusiast, fan, devotee, aficionado, lover, admirer, follower; expert, connoisseur, authority, pundit; buff, bum, freak, fanatic, nut, fiend, addict, maniac; geek,
Several of those would be far more appropriate/less dividing than Evangelist. And Flyertalk Freak does have a certain ring to it...

Win-win?
Well i'm not a that which must not be mentioned yet (though the way this discussion is going it won't be long before I am ) but I don't actually think this is a solution. Those of us who dislike the title would still have to read it as other people's CMT and the title would also continue to confuse new members. Not that I'm not saying for a moment that the title should be removed just because a minority of members find it offensive - FT doesn't work that way thank goodness.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 7:33 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by exilencfc
...title would also continue to confuse new members.
If there is confusion it arises because the titles are rare, very few members have one. Changing the name won't fix that unless the new title makes it clear that it is based on message volume. If that's the primary concern I think dieuwer2's suggestion of Flyertalk 10K is worth consideration. However, we already display message count. Would the title change to 20k when I reach 20,000 posts?
Old Jun 19, 2014, 7:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Speaking (only for myself) as a TB member I too feel that it's inappropriate to start a public thread re: changing a single title when we still have an open vote. Also, again speaking only for myself, it's something that I think should have been brought up first in the private TB forum.

I do find it a bit ironic that MSP voted down the CMK10 motion saying she didn't want us to vote for something that might be tweaked later, then proceeds to focus on a single title & then when challenged on that says perhaps we can do a new set of post counts/titles & says baby steps

Cheers.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Originally Posted by CMK10
This is a serious, contentious issue
Only to a few.

Because those who like the stupid title could still strive for it.
As one of the elite 300 , I'd prefer Big shot instead of my current title. Nice guy works too.

Last edited by dhammer53; Jun 19, 2014 at 10:41 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.