Wiki Posts
Search

Motion Failed: Recommend new post thresholds and titles

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2014, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Mary2e

Anything that is a subjective judgment of a post, even if only good is permitted, is going to be abused. You'll have people "gang up" by liking posts by certain posters making them appear more valuable than they really are.

Many of us still have not forgotten the reputation fiasco.
Exactly.

And abused by some Senior FT'ers who SHOULD have known a lot better. @:-)
Old Jun 18, 2014, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Originally Posted by wharvey
I remember suggesting a few years ago in a thread that we do away with all "non-official" titles other than moderator, administration, company reps, ambassadors and Talkboard. We can see post counts... and I hope that people do more than just accept the post count or a title when "researching" a member... as we ask people to do in Coupon Connection.

At the end of the day, anyone can put a title in their own profile.
If IIRC, I supported this and still do.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 1:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Mary2e
If IIRC, I supported this and still do.
If we're worried about titles and post counts appearing to convey knowledge or authority, perhaps we should also eliminate the yellow and blue "FT talks" icons of those who have been interviewed by a particular blogger. I'm not picking on you but these things are very prominent on the screen and seem to indicate some sort of official stamp of approval for those FT members that display them above the profile to the left of all posts by the person.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 2:05 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I just voted NO on the motion. I certainly don't like the Evangelist title but I also don't like "Committed" which can be viewed by some as offensive. I don't think it's good practice to vote for a motion while hoping that it will immediately be partially undone/corrected/fixed. Maybe we won't be able to find six TB members to commit to getting rid of "Committed". After all, despite all the evangelists in favor of changing the Evangelist title, it's remained so on FT for many years.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If we're worried about titles and post counts appearing to convey knowledge or authority, perhaps we should also eliminate the yellow and blue "FT talks" icons of those who have been interviewed by a particular blogger. I'm not picking on you but these things are very prominent on the screen and seem to indicate some sort of official stamp of approval for those FT members that display them above the profile to the left of all posts by the person.
You know, until you mentioned it, I never even noticed it was there, nor that it was FT talks that takes you to FTGuy. I'm very serious about that. I did an interview about 4 years ago and don't even remember what it was about

But I don't take them, obviously, as a stamp of approval, or even knowledge about anything in particular. The only knowledge I claim is Hyatt
Old Jun 18, 2014, 2:37 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by bdschobel
I'm starting to think that the post counts speak for themselves and don't need to be labelled at all. ... ...

This really was opening Pandora's box, wasn't it?
bdschobel - I certainly agree with your assessments here. Best not to open Pandora's box.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Well, we closed it again!

Bruce
Old Jun 18, 2014, 2:49 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
Best not to open Pandora's box.
Puhleeze. This is hardly a Pandora's box. This topic has been discussed off/on for a # of years. It will come up again in the future . FTers on both sides of the topic feel strongly. Discussion & disagreement are healthy things. Just because something is discussed somewhat strongly doesn't make it a Pandora's box.

Cheers.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 2:50 pm

New post thresholds & titles will fail...

In accordance with the guidelines that means we'll announce if a motion has passed or failed once enough yes or no votes have been recorded by TB members, this is the public notice that this motion will fail as it has not secured 6 yes votes.

Please note that not all TB members have voted yet, and so a final announcement with who voted yes/no will not be posted until all 9 have voted or the voting period ends.

Cheers.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 2:50 pm
In Memoriam

I had different thoughts

Under 500 - New Lurker
More than 500 - Traveling Fool
More than 10,000 - I need to get a friend
More than 25,000 - I need to get a life
More than 40,000 - I have no life or friends
Old Jun 18, 2014, 3:19 pm

Programs: HH Silver
Too bas as I thought these titles were okay but that's MHO.

Now it's been defeated I'd prefer fewer titles, say 5 max. and space them further out at 1K, 5K, 10K, 25K and 40K. I'm sure suitable names could be found to please absolutely everyone, eventually.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by tcook052
Too bas as I thought these titles were okay but that's MHO.

Now it's been defeated I'd prefer fewer titles, say 5 max. and space them further out at 1K, 5K, 10K, 25K and 40K. I'm sure suitable names could be found to please absolutely everyone, eventually.
Other than keeping existing Legends happy, what's the logic of 40,000 rather than 50,000 for the top title? Maybe when it started, Randy didn't think anyone would hit 40,000 on FT, at least not for a very long time.

To me, a thousand feels like a good beginning elite level as it's not an easy goal but it still would seem to newbies to look like it would eventually within reach.

When everyone has a title no one does. Titles should seem a bit special and for this purpose, starting at one hundred posts seems too low despite the arguments about using this as a means to engage members.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 3:42 pm

Other than keeping existing Legends happy, what's the logic of 40,000 rather than 50,000 for the top title? Maybe when it started, Randy didn't think anyone would hit 40,000 on FT, at least not for a very long time.

To me, a thousand feels like a good beginning elite level as it's not an easy goal but it still would seem to newbies to look like it would eventually within reach.

When everyone has a title no one does. Titles should seem a bit special and for this purpose, starting at one hundred posts seems too low despite the arguments about using this as a means to engage members.
Given there are only 14 Legends (soon to be 15) since 1998 out of the approximately 10,000 active FTers, I don't see the point of raising the level to attain Legend to something higher.

I was fine w/ the post count breaks that we had in CMK10's proposal & overall with the titles, although 2 of them could have been tweaked (and probably would have garnered more support for the change if they had been).

Cheers.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 3:48 pm

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
I just voted NO on the motion. I certainly don't like the Evangelist title but I also don't like "Committed" which can be viewed by some as offensive. I don't think it's good practice to vote for a motion while hoping that it will immediately be partially undone/corrected/fixed. Maybe we won't be able to find six TB members to commit to getting rid of "Committed". After all, despite all the evangelists in favor of changing the Evangelist title, it's remained so on FT for many years.
Personally I find Committed less offensive than Evangelist. However I accept that I may be in a minority there.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by exilencfc
Personally I find Committed less offensive than Evangelist. However I accept that I may be in a minority there.
FTers have different perceptions of the terms. When I think of committed I think of committed to frequent flyer programs, committed to a process, etc - not mental institutions. When I think of Evangelist I think of the religious guys on telly trying to part their congregation from their hard-earned $$. Others, however, look at the words & think differently.

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.