Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Motion Failed: Recommend new post thresholds and titles

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2014, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I'm OK with all the titles except for the last one ... Legendary Member is right up there with Evangelist. It implies something more that a post count. My gripe with the existing titles has always been that it confuses people.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Mary2e
I'm OK with all the titles except for the last one ... Legendary Member is right up there with Evangelist. It implies something more that a post count....
I disagree. Just look up the definitions of the words:
Originally Posted by Dictionary.com
e·van·ge·list
1. a Protestant minister or layperson who serves as an itinerant or special preacher, especially a revivalist.
2. a preacher of the gospel.
3. ( initial capital letter ) any of the writers (Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John) of the four Gospels.
4. (in the primitive church) a person who first brought the gospel to a city or region.
5. ( initial capital letter ) Mormon Church . a patriarch.

leg·end·ar·y
1. of, pertaining to, or of the nature of a legend.
2. celebrated or described in legend: a legendary hero.
noun, plural leg·end·ar·ies.
3. a collection of legends.
Those definitions are pretty different, wouldn't you say? An evangelist is an activist, essentially, which many of our most frequent posters are not. Being legendary is much more passive, more of a creation of the audience.

Bruce
Old Jun 10, 2014, 6:19 pm

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to imply they meant the same thing... it's that they carry a different definition that means more than someone who posts a alot (or has no life )
Old Jun 10, 2014, 6:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
I'm with Bruce though have a very obvious bias.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 6:26 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Frankly as there are fewer than 20 people with enough posts to be "Legendary" I think we could call it "Flyertalk God" and there still wouldn't be enough people for the term to be harmful but I take your point.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 6:59 pm

Comments Welcome/Voting Underway: Recommend new post thresholds and titles

Or, legendary should be given by the community director as an honorary title. Arturo comes to mind as legendary. The rest simply have no life
Old Jun 10, 2014, 7:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by philemer
I'm voting no on titles. We already know everyone's post count. No more elitism needed.
I would agree, it is not needed, cheers ^
Old Jun 10, 2014, 8:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
I urge Talkboard members to vote no on the changes. Don't fix what ain't broke.

Really, why change an old tradition when post counts are so obvious to everyone?

Safe Travels,

Doc
Old Jun 10, 2014, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
I support title changes but not the ones as written. As there is no line item veto the proposal should be voted down.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 10:44 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
It's a bit confusing having the different titles, but...

I really like that there is separation between 10k, 25k and 40k. I get the impression that there are quite a few on the board that are chasing 10k evangelist status for the sake of it by cluttering up the board with one sentence posts, or +1's, or negative comments without any real solutions offered. There is a large enough gap between 10 and the next tier of status, so I feel that there will be less people chasing Flyer Talk status.

I know that there is no way around this, but I appreciate those that offer comment and valid commentary more than stuff that just ends up getting scrolled through. We all know who these contributors are that we follow and their contributions to the board are more greatly valued than being recognized via a post count.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 11:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Originally Posted by jackal

The TalkBoard was recently criticized pretty severely by another former TalkBoard member for showing no action on this or other issues.

That would be me, and I simply pointed out the sad reality that the current Talkboard had made no motions WHATEVER or voted on ANYTHING, for 6 months since the new elected members took their positions.

This VERY simple matter had been drop kicked around for YEARS in this Forum, with total inertia and obfuscation overcoming it.

To the point he current President last week posted paraphrased - "It is all too hard, lets start a whole new thread on it"! For crying out loud.

I urged last week that a motion of some kind be made, and a vote undertaken, and glad to see the impasse of this matter, and on the Talkboard inaction in general, has been broken.

More titles are a very good idea, and there could well have been more levels with more creative names, but hey some progress is better than the total void that had been occurring.

This is 2014, and the current system had been in place for way over a decade, and the title "Evangelist" was plain DUMB.

It was dumb whenever I got it automatically a very long time ago, and it is a dumb name even now, as most agreed, from the TB President down.

And if the vote fails, well we are stuck with just 2 levels, that 99% of FT'ers will never attain and THAT is also dumb!

My hunch is I'll stay an "Evangelist" as the thread proposer voted against it for his own weird reasons, but far stranger things have occurred on TB.

That is WHY voting is often instructive. Never assume you know the outcome when 9 great minds are at work.

Glen
Old Jun 10, 2014, 11:08 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
So I went ahead and did what you asked and you can't even say thank you, you just have to spew more of your vitriol don't you?
Old Jun 10, 2014, 11:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
CMK10 -- you must be reading a different post than the one I made - which totally unedited is -

Originally Posted by ozstamps

I urged last week that a motion of some kind be made, and a vote undertaken, and glad to see the impasse of this matter, and on the Talkboard inaction in general, has been broken.

More titles are a very good idea, and there could well have been more levels with more creative names, but hey some progress is better than the total void that had been occurring.
Great to see a vote finally took place - and some progress is occurring at last on TB in 2014.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 11:59 pm

Programs: AA Bonsai EXP (2.9 MM), AS MVPG
Originally Posted by bdschobel

500: Active Member
1,000: Contributing Member
2,500: Involved Member
5,000: Dedicated Member
10,000: Committed Member
25,000: Distinguished Member
40,000: Legendary Member
A member's contributions, involvement, dedication, and commitment to Flyertalk should -absolutely- not be judged by post count, particularly since all posts were most definitely not created equally. 500 meaningful posts with real and helpful information provides vastly more value than 10,000 posts of snark, me too posts, "do a search", etc, etc.
Old Jun 11, 2014, 3:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Of course, you are correct. It almost goes without saying (but you took the time to say it!). The problem, quite obviously, is that we don't have post judges who can assign value to each post and sum up each poster's contributions accordingly. And if we did -- God forbid! -- then we would have endless arguments over those judgments. At least post count is objective and, in most cases, a reasonable proxy for level of contribution. No measure will satisfy everyone, but at least we have one measure that can be determined with certainty.

Bruce

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.