Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Motion Failed: Recommend new post thresholds and titles

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2014, 6:33 am

Programs: (PM)AA SPG (Marriott), Hilton
Originally Posted by Markie
The trouble is though that if you're going to turn this in to a popularity contest there must be a way to recall an individual. Any title that bestows superiority, credibility etc. surely must be able to be removed?
Having the nomination come from the "floor", with the approval by TB, was intended to help keep a pure popularity contest in check as well as not a) put TB in an awkward place, b) keep workloads manageable.

The title was intended address the issue of post count <> value of posts.

The proposal, which at this point is not official in any form, could be amended to remove a title after it's given. What process would you suggest?
Old Jun 30, 2014, 5:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by reft
Having the nomination come from the "floor", with the approval by TB, was intended to help keep a pure popularity contest in check as well as not a) put TB in an awkward place, b) keep workloads manageable.

The title was intended address the issue of post count <> value of posts.

The proposal, which at this point is not official in any form, could be amended to remove a title after it's given. What process would you suggest?
Any time you have things coming from "the floor" it will always be a popularity contest of some sort.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by kipper
Any time you have things coming from "the floor" it will always be a popularity contest of some sort.
Which is why the TB piece was in there as a check and balance.

There hasn't been enough discussion about this to suggest serious interest, at least in this thread, it doesn't seem to be going anywhere anyway.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 9:46 pm

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by reft
Which is why the TB piece was in there as a check and balance.

There hasn't been enough discussion about this to suggest serious interest, at least in this thread, it doesn't seem to be going anywhere anyway.
TB is, in part, a popularity contest during elections...
Old Jul 1, 2014, 6:21 am

Originally Posted by kipper
TB is, in part, a popularity contest during elections...
Technically, so are all elections. TB seems to work ok.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 3:38 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Motion Failed: Recommend new post thresholds and titles

I really don't want TB as one of my branches of govt
Old Jul 6, 2014, 7:42 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
I really don't want TB as one of my branches of govt
Well in the FT world it is one of the branches of gov't.

But seriously why do you actually care? You drop by this forum occasionally to say you never vote on TB elections, you hate new forums being created, you have little respect for TB, etc, but if by chance we do something you don't agree with this is going to be the time that you actually vote (which obviously we can't confirm since voting is anonymous, but my money is on you don't bother)

Your latest comment had nothing to do with the actual thread topic, but in fairness to you the thread went off topic before you decided to come back from the last time you posted.

Re: the thread topic. Like the other thread that existed for a few years FTers were still almost 50/50 split on whether to have new titles or not, and the TB voting was similar.

Cheers

Last edited by SkiAdcock; Jul 7, 2014 at 11:44 am
Old Jul 9, 2014, 8:29 pm

The model of measuring a member's value by post count will change just as measuring a customer's worth by miles flown is.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 10:56 am

Programs: MileagePlus Club, Amex Platinum, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by NauticalWheeler
The model of measuring a member's value by post count will change just as measuring a customer's worth by miles flown is.
Huh?

What's the price of tea in China?
Old Jul 22, 2014, 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by dnwaldmann
Huh?

What's the price of tea in China?
Quality versus quantity. I could become an evangelist in a few months if I wanted to.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 6:05 am

Originally Posted by NauticalWheeler
Quality versus quantity. I could become an evangelist in a few months if I wanted to.
But a million miles flown in the cheapest coach seat has some value to the airline, whereas a million posts of meaningless drivel is just meaningless drivel.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
+1

Bruce (on my way to a million!)
Old Jul 23, 2014, 7:40 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I find it interesting that some people attribute many posts to meaningless drivel as opposed to contributing. Does a bit of a disservice to others. There might be a few who post m.d. but I think many more who actually contribute to FT & to others.

Cheers.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
I don't see why anyone would take the time to post meaningless drivel, when it takes about the same amount of time to post meaningfully. (Note that my "+1" above was meant as a joke!)

Bruce
Old Jul 23, 2014, 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
I find it interesting that some people attribute many posts to meaningless drivel as opposed to contributing.
Nowhere did I suggest that mere volume necessarily meant that it was all meaningless drivel.

I'm just saying that IF one posted gobs of meaningless drivel, the quantity means nothing. Whereas gobs of miles are gobs of miles and certainly mean something. I see no correlation between number of posts and number of miles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.