Wiki Posts
Search

TalkBoard voting outcomes

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2014, 2:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by bdschobel
Obviously, that's not what I had in mind. I was suggesting that if the nine TalkBoard members sat down in a room together to brainstorm for a day that we might discover some worthwhile things to do. It's easier than posting a proposal, especially if your idea isn't very well fleshed out.

Bruce
Bruce, my objections are not with this TalkBoard or, for that matter, any particular TalkBoard (remember, I served on two of them).

My objections are based on the fact that the whole concept of TalkBoard, as representatives of the membership, is, and always has been, a farce. TB is restricted to making non-binding recommendations on the establishment of forums and setting its own rules.

To carry this to what may seem to be a ridiculous extreme, but has actually happened in one case, TalkBoard is not even allowed to decide what may or may not be discussed in a forum.

TalkBoard could, tomorrow, decide to establish a TAP Forum and refuse to establish one for Czech Airlines. As the moderators of a forum have sole power to determine what is acceptable on that forum, the new TAP forum mods could ban all discussion of TAP and allow only Czech Airlines posts.

Given its lack of any real authority, I think that TalkBoard should be abolished -- and at least there would be no more pretense that the ordinary members have elected representatives who make important decisions which impact them.
Old Jun 8, 2014, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
I get your point, but after all, FlyerTalk itself is a website owned by a private-sector company with ultimate authority over just about everything. If the owners want to have a TalkBoard as a pipeline to the membership, that's fine with me. I never had any illusions about our power -- or lack thereof.

Bruce
Old Jun 8, 2014, 2:43 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by Dovster
CONCLUSION:

FT is doing fine and there is very little that TalkBoard needs to do, so therefore it is necessary to arrange phone meetings and have IB (KKR?) pay to bring TB members together from wherever they might be in the world in order to not do very much.
Yes, it is quite critical that IB pay for TB members to gather to discuss the burning issues of the day. In Pars. In first class. At the George V.

^
Old Jun 8, 2014, 3:40 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by kokonutz
Yes, it is quite critical that IB pay for TB members to gather to discuss the burning issues of the day. In Pars. In first class. At the George V.

^
Do we get points at the George V?

AFAIK TB has only met one time as a group & that was in Phoenix back in '08 (think that was it) when TB was doing a big overhaul of the guidelines (aided by our own koko) & a # of folk were in town for the Freddies and/or Mod Do the next day.

Cheers.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 3:21 am

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
Originally Posted by kokonutz

^
I feel it would be most unreasonable for this discussion to take place without the presence of some normal members to see fair play/tidy up the carcasses of the slain.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 3:58 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Code:
Usual case = 9 Talkboard members
Yes\No | 0     1     2     3     4     5     6     7     8     9
    \--+--------------------------------------------------------------
9      | Pass  Not applicable >
8      | Pass  Pass  Not applicable >
7      | Pass  Pass  Pass  Not applicable >
6      | Pass  Pass  Pass  Pass  Not applicable >
5      | Pass  Pass  Pass  Fail  Fail  Not applicable >
4      | Fail  Fail  Fail  Fail  Fail  Fail  Not applicable >
3      | Fail  Fail  Fail  Fail  Fail  Fail  Fail  Not applicable >
2      | Fail  Fail  Fail  Fail  Fail  Fail  Fail  Fail  Not applicable >
1      | Fail  Fail  Fail  Fail  Fail  Fail  Fail  Fail  Fail  Not applicable
0      | Fail  Fail  Fail  Fail  Fail  Fail  Fail  Fail  Fail  Fail

Special case = 8 Talkboard members
Yes\No | 0     1     2     3     4     5     6     7     8
    \--+--------------------------------------------------------
8      | Pass  Not applicable >
7      | Pass  Pass  Not applicable >
6      | Pass  Pass  Pass  Not applicable >
5      | Pass  Pass  Pass  Fail  Not applicable >
4      | Fail  Fail  Fail  Fail  Fail  Not applicable >
3      | Fail  Fail  Fail  Fail  Fail  Fail  Not applicable >
2      | Fail  Fail  Fail  Fail  Fail  Fail  Fail  Not applicable >
1      | Fail  Fail  Fail  Fail  Fail  Fail  Fail  Fail  Not applicable
0      | Fail  Fail  Fail  Fail  Fail  Fail  Fail  Fail  Fail
Therefore there is no practical difference for the requirement to pass a motion if there are 8 or 9 Talkboard members - 6 yes votes will always pass if 5 yes votes there must be no more than 2 no votes to pass, and 4 or less yes votes will always fail.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 5:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Dovster
IB (KKR?) pay to bring TB members together from wherever they might be in the world in order to not do very much.
Yep, KKR ! The same that owns parts of and invests in many businesses all around the world ! The former owners of IB sold for over 1 billion USD. That would make posting legends contribution worth at least $10.99 !
Old Jun 9, 2014, 6:44 am

Originally Posted by Q Shoe Guy
Yep, KKR ! The same that owns parts of and invests in many businesses all around the world ! The former owners of IB sold for over 1 billion USD. That would make posting legends contribution worth at least $10.99 !

Cheers.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 9:41 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Obviously, that's not what I had in mind. I was suggesting that if the nine TalkBoard members sat down in a room together to brainstorm for a day that we might discover some worthwhile things to do. It's easier than posting a proposal, especially if your idea isn't very well fleshed out.

Bruce
We did this once in the 'Randy days' on the day before a Mods meeting. I seem to remember we paid our own way.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 11:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold

No ordinary motion can pass without 5 yes votes.
Bruce you are the actuary not me, but don't I recall that if say 2 or 3 members did NOT vote by choice, a motion could win on less than 5 votes?

I recall that at one point 2 TB members were suspended from FT and clearly could not vote, and that made for one interesting results as both were against the motion.

Or maybe the wording of the 66% vote was tweaked due to that. Long time back and cannot recall the exact details.
Old Jun 11, 2014, 3:27 am
Ambassador, New England

Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice
I'm not Bruce, but a motion cannot pass without a 2/3 majority of the TB members voting on it and a majority of the sitting TB, which means nothing less than 5 votes wins if there is a full 9-person (or even an 8-person) TB in place.
Old Jun 11, 2014, 3:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Yes, that's exactly right -- and I said "assuming no vacancies." Even with eight members (i.e., one vacancy), a majority is still 5.

Bruce
Old Jun 11, 2014, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Thanks Bruce .. no one would ever give me a job handling Math or figures as I have clearly proven.

I do recall these was a TB rule once where 66% of the members needed to vote yes on something for it to pass, and when any were suspended or forget etc, shoe-in motions did not pass, so wording was fine tuned.
Old Jun 11, 2014, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by ozstamps
Thanks Bruce .. no one would ever give me a job handling Math or figures as I have clearly proven.
I'm right there with you oz!

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.