Wiki Posts
Search

Suggestion: a general USA forum in the Destinations section

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2014, 6:40 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
A few comments, realizing that the forum will likely go forward

The USA forum seems like it may shape up like the Info Desk forum - questions start there, but some are funnelled into region or city specific fora. That seems fine if there's moderators willing to take that on.

However I am concerned that the USA forum will wind up with lots of posters who don't think much about what they are asking, want impossible answers or do not consider even for a moment what GENERAL forum the post might belong to. This in turn , to me, paves the way for FT becoming more and more of the one hit wonders....

I think the speeding ticket is a good example. Every state is different, so having those questions asked in a general USA forum seem to be less helpful than not.
Just my 2 cents.
Old May 29, 2014, 7:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by squeakr

1. The USA forum seems like it may shape up like the Info Desk forum - questions start there, but some are funnelled into region or city specific fora. That seems fine if there's moderators willing to take that on.

2. However I am concerned that the USA forum will wind up with lots of posters who don't think much about what they are asking, want impossible answers or do not consider even for a moment what GENERAL forum the post might belong to. This in turn , to me, paves the way for FT becoming more and more of the one hit wonders....
1. What's wrong with that? Some may be funneled and some will stay. That's true of all of FT btw. I've seen many threads in forums get switched to a different forum.

2. Again, how is this dif from other forums? We get many who post w/o thinking or searching and/or who may or may not be one hit wonders in many forums.

Cheers.
Old May 29, 2014, 9:52 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by exilencfc
But I thought that Americans only had such ridiculous plans for travelling in Europe because that was how travelling in America works
Another great place to try this kind of itinerary is Australia... but I do get gobsmacked by some of the questions people ask when I am travelling. From the "two weeks to tour the US" to "My cousin Giovanni lives not far from you, in San Francisco! Perhaps you know him?" (Latter was just a few days ago.)
Old May 30, 2014, 8:24 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
In a like vein, many years ago an uncle was changing planes in El Paso. He called and wanted to know if we wanted to visit with him during his two-hour layover since "he'd be in the area."

Not so much....
Old May 30, 2014, 8:29 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Reminds me when I used to tell people I was attending Arizona State. They'd say "oh! I know someone there, do you know First Name Last Name?" At a school of 65,000? What do you think the odds are?
Old May 31, 2014, 6:31 am

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Originally Posted by CMK10
Reminds me when I used to tell people I was attending Arizona State. They'd say "oh! I know someone there, do you know First Name Last Name?" At a school of 65,000? What do you think the odds are?
You should try being Scottish. Population of 5 million and I'm asked the same question if someone knows someone else Scottish Irish friends have the same experience.....
Old May 31, 2014, 6:50 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by Jenbel
You should try being Scottish. Population of 5 million and I'm asked the same question if someone knows someone else Scottish Irish friends have the same experience.....
and kiwis
Old May 31, 2014, 7:30 am

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Asked by Americans or all others?

If the former, that might be a very interesting (culture) discussion in the general USA Forum if created.

Originally Posted by squeakr
I think the speeding ticket is a good example. Every state is different, so having those questions asked in a general USA forum seem to be less helpful than not.
If they were about how each state would handle speeding tickets, then the regional/state-specific fora may serve the purpose.

However, when posters were asking what would happen to their unpaid tickets upon entering USA like those threads I'd read, I would think that's definitely not a state-specific discussion. YMMV.
Old May 31, 2014, 11:12 am

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
Or Welsh (i'm not but Welsh friends have complained baout this - and it's everyone whp asks not just Americans)
Old Jun 2, 2014, 10:11 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I'll be making a motion on this later this week. Trying to think of what the forum description would be, so thought I'd post here to see if FTers have suggestions.

Here's what's listed for the general Europe forum:

Europe: For discussion of Schengen Visa questions, pan-european matters, cross country travels, and countries without their own dedicated section including Turkey.

Here's what's listed for the general Asia forum:

Asia is the favorite destination of FlyerTalkers. So it should come as no surprise that they have asked and talked about golden palaces, ancient temples, jungle treks, garden bistros, seaside cafés, classic noodle stands and where the best hawker centers are. And don’t forget the threads about Angkor Wat, smoldering volcanoes and of course, where the best pristine beaches are.

I'm thinking the general USA forum would be more along the lines of the Europe one? (although we can toss something in there about from sea to shining sea ).

Cheers.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Originally Posted by goalie
I'm not sure if this is what you are for or against but this is how I see it panning out.....

Main Forum: USA
Sub-Forums (i.e. NY, LAS, TX, New England, CA [with sub-forums of SF & LA] and etc)

And with that, the main forum is a catch all for posts not directly related to one of the sub forums and the sub-forums speak for themselves where if I'm interested in one of the sub forums, I simply subscribe to that forum (similar to the California forum where I only subscribe to the San Francisco forum)
How about if there is a sub-forum of the main forum that says something like: Post general questions here, that can't be answered in a specific forum?

ie What's the best wine region in the 50 states?

dh
Old Jun 4, 2014, 2:54 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by dhammer53
How about if there is a sub-forum of the main forum that says something like: Post general questions here, that can't be answered in a specific forum?

ie What's the best wine region in the 50 states?

dh
What? No push for a Brooklyn Forum?
Old Jun 4, 2014, 4:05 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by goalie
What? No push for a Brooklyn Forum?
That's not enough, we need to spin off a website...BrookylnTalk!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.