Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Suggestion : Flyertalk corporate rate for major hotel chains

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2014, 11:51 am
Original Poster

Suggestion : Flyertalk corporate rate for major hotel chains

Since there are so many flyertalkers, would it be possible to negotiate some sort of preferential rate from major hotel chains?

The access to the flyertalk corporate rate code could have similar requirements to CC.

Just floating this idea around.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 5:01 pm
Original Member

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Gold & MM; DL & AA credit card dirt status; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold
Most hotel chains expect a solid commitment of room nights, in order to rationalize a "corporate rate program" allowing cross the board discounting. While there would clearly be use of something like this, would it truly direct traffic to the properties that it wouldn't already get? Affinity discounts that chains offer AARP and AAA members are plentiful, and avoid discounting very profitable "last rooms availability".

An interesting metric that I've observed. If you compare a hiltonfamilymvp.com rate to the Hilton discount given General Electric employees on business (assuming the property is running "normal" 70% occupancy), the general price difference is only 7%.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 1:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
I think it's an interesting idea, and given Craig6z's comments, it sounds like hotel chains want some sort of quantifiable (right term?!) population (corporation, government, AARP, etc.) to provide the discount...would a frequent traveler forum be too broad?
Old Jan 31, 2014, 7:46 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by rwoman
I think it's an interesting idea, and given Craig6z's comments, it sounds like hotel chains want some sort of quantifiable (right term?!) population (corporation, government, AARP, etc.) to provide the discount...would a frequent traveler forum be too broad?
Too broad? Not necessarily. Some other forums that have some kind of focus on travel have managed to land deals for their members with at least some small chains and/or some individual properties. When the people are considered paid members then they seem to become more attractive and/or the forum operators become more interested in getting deals; however, even that isn't necessary.

The bigger issue may be the resource allocation willingness to pursue such a thing and whether or not the thing would get enough use to be sustainable. Given the tiny proportion of FTers who are highly engaged with FT and the likelihood that such highly engaged persons may use other negotiated rates/discounts, a hypothetical FT "negotiated" "deal" might not even be worth that much to use; it may even be a relatively poor value for the hotel guest.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 3:30 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
My own guess is such a rate would not be any better than what's already available to many (AAA, Senior, AARP/CARP, and other rates FTers know about).

OTOH or those who do not have access to any code, it might be a useful 5-10% discount and a way of showing a chain how many (how few?) FTers actually take advantage of such a rate). (I use Hilton most, Starwood second with some Marriott, Carlson, etc. and I doubt I would have much use for an FT-specific 5-10% discounted rate - YMMV, of course.)
Old Feb 2, 2014, 3:19 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I'll support this, but only if the code is DYKWIA
Old May 20, 2014, 8:18 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
Originally Posted by CMK10
I'll support this, but only if the code is DYKWIA
With suite upgrades of course!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.