Reload this Page >

Voting Over, Motion Passed: Create Four Budget Airline Forums

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 24, 2015, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock

On October 7, 2013, Talkboard passed 6-3:

"The Talkboard recommends the creation of Four Budget Airlines forums"

Budget Asian, Australian and South Pacific Airlines
Budget European Airlines
Budget Middle East and Africa Airlines
Budget North and South America Airlines

Voting Yes: Cholula, HansGolden, MSPeconomist, nsx, RichMSN, SkiAdcock
Voting No: goalie, jackal, kokonutz
Print Wikipost

Voting Over, Motion Passed: Create Four Budget Airline Forums

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2013, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by DeaconFlyer
The TB has shown multiple times that they are not good at being consistent. Why they refuse to release public drafts of motions before they officially put them to vote, continues to baffle me. Errors like this are usually spotted very quickly, but at this point, it's too late.

I'm pretty sure most motions have been posted publicly prior to voting. Those threads, though, get very few comments and views. It's not until it's put up for a vote and the site-wide announcement gets posted by the Community Director that people even bother to pay attention to what's going on.
Old Sep 30, 2013, 2:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by jackal

I'm pretty sure most motions have been posted publicly prior to voting. Those threads, though, get very few comments and views. It's not until it's put up for a vote and the site-wide announcement gets posted by the Community Director that people even bother to pay attention to what's going on.
Feel free to point out where this motion was posted publically prior to this thread.
Old Sep 30, 2013, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DeaconFlyer
Feel free to point out where this motion was posted publically prior to this thread.
It appears you might be right in this case. I think that was an error/oversight on the part of all of us rather than anything intentional.

We're in the midst of discussing (both publicly and among ourselves) several different issues, and IIRC, this was something that was incorporated into a larger motion that was going to be posted for public comment but then one or two TB members preferred to have this voted on separately, and so it probably got split off and moved/seconded before anyone really thought about it.

I think this is much more the exception than the rule. It's certainly not our desire to ignore public comment on any issue before going forward with it.
Old Sep 30, 2013, 4:22 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by sfo
Definition of your word "budget?"
This is mostly in the hands of FT members. If I were subtitling these, I'd make the following explicit inclusions and let members extrapolate:

for North and South America, (Spirit, Allegiant)
for Europe, (RyanAir, EasyJet)

To me, the defining feature of a budget airline is an unusually large variety of add-on fees and unusually restrictive policies, some of which might unpleasantly surprise a newbie.

More precision will probably come in a sticky thread in each forum, but I don't believe the TalkBoard needs to constrain these forums. They should evolve organically for a while until we see where our members want to take them.
Old Sep 30, 2013, 8:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by nsx
More precision will probably come in a sticky thread in each forum, but I don't believe the TalkBoard needs to constrain these forums.
FWIW I'd rather see TB not even create these forums at all as I'm unconvinced four new forums are really what's needed.

Has TB given any thought to renaming & retasking the geographic "Other" FFP forums to include LCC as several members have suggested? If not why not as wouldn't it be better to utilize the forums we already have before creating new ones?
Old Oct 1, 2013, 3:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would like to see a forum dedicated to Ryanair/Easyjet/etc- how the best way to do that is I don't know- but it would be appreciated.

If we can all keep each other up to date on how to minimize the complex charges of the budget airlines particularly in Europe- this would be wonderful.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 4:00 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by jackal
No.
Why wouldn't it work? It seems to have worked just fine in the existing forums, as there are lots of discussions about non-FFP aspects of airlines in the existing forums.

Can't say I am really surprised that the inclination is to create more and more forums for little to no good reason and play games with re-purposing existing forums. I just don't expect that it will be for all the better if the objective is to have enough critical mass to be very useful for those with questions and those with answers. Diluted forum traffic might be what some want, but it doesn't necessarily benefit users of FT in terms of seeking information in a timely way or in assisting users in getting assistance in a timely, better way.

Last edited by GUWonder; Oct 1, 2013 at 4:10 am
Old Oct 1, 2013, 5:26 am
uwr

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K
i'd vote "no."
Old Oct 1, 2013, 6:11 am
rkv

I would like for FT to cover additional airlines. While a regional low cost would be helpful, I think that it would be a good idea to cover airlines such as EasyJet or RyanAir as airlines. You might base the decision on whether an airline should be in the other category or have its own category based on passenger miles flown in a year. I'm assuming that information would be readily available.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 6:18 am

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
NO

this place is too cluttered as it is, another forum or ten will make it worse

for those of you who tried to read FT on a smart phone you know what I mean

I vote

NO
Old Oct 1, 2013, 6:21 am

I tend to lean toward both.....Is it possible to have those 4 categories integrated into FT instead of actually creating new forums. That way you could search on everything from within FT. I sort of think it makes things more complex for management and the end users to create 4 new forums. Just my 2 cents....YMMV
Old Oct 1, 2013, 6:51 am

Vote

Yes to all 4
Old Oct 1, 2013, 6:52 am

Yes to all 4
Old Oct 1, 2013, 7:36 am

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by RichMSN
Except that FT is not only a "miles and points" destination. Hasn't been for ages.
If I may does that mean you are leaning for or against this motion? What about other TB members we haven't heard from?
Old Oct 1, 2013, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Why wouldn't it work? It seems to have worked just fine in the existing forums, as there are lots of discussions about non-FFP aspects of airlines in the existing forums.

Can't say I am really surprised that the inclination is to create more and more forums for little to no good reason and play games with re-purposing existing forums. I just don't expect that it will be for all the better if the objective is to have enough critical mass to be very useful for those with questions and those with answers. Diluted forum traffic might be what some want, but it doesn't necessarily benefit users of FT in terms of seeking information in a timely way or in assisting users in getting assistance in a timely, better way.
Your question wasn't about adding forums. Your question (at least it seemed to me) was about changing the names of the forums across FT (a separate proposal that hasn't been fully fleshed out yet, so I don't think there's a thread about it yet, hence we're touching on it here) versus changing only the description of the forums. I was responding to your question about names vs. descriptions, not about adding forums.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.