Reload this Page >

Voting Over, Motion Passed: Create an Information Desk Forum

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Voting Over, Motion Passed: Create an Information Desk Forum

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2013, 10:20 am

I think it's a good idea, and should add to the value of FlyerTalk and help reduce confusion.

Also, it should be set up (if possible) as one of the links sent to new members in the welcoming e-mail (we do send welcoming e-mails, don't we)?
Old Sep 29, 2013, 1:50 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by lin821
If the subtitle had been worded as "Including New Member Q&A and Non-Program-Specific Award Travel Advice", members would have had a better idea:
1) Information Desk is NOT just for newbies;
2) NOT to ask program-specific questions here so MODs wouldn't be loaded with thread relocation tasks.

Just some food for thought.
I think we're on the same page here as I see some of this happening
  • Existing members might see it as "New Members" and nothing else and thus not post advice
  • New members will be directed here on their first logged in session but I fear that there might just be a bunch of posts like "hi, I'm xxx and I'm new here" and that's it so going back to the beginning, what do you want to/think should be included[in the info desk
I also think that if you're going to create a forum for award travel advice, do just that and not have it included with a new members advice forum as it implies that the award travel advice is only for new members. Now as to creating that forum, I'll leave that for another day-I just wanted to point out that I see confusion in the current vision
Old Sep 29, 2013, 2:13 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Originally Posted by goalie
I also think that if you're going to create a forum for award travel advice, do just that and not have it included with a new members advice forum as it implies that the award travel advice is only for new members.
I hear you! Unfortunately, that's not how this current motion was drafted.

I'll have no objection if TB is willing to go back to the "conference room" and rework on the motion to refine the vision, mission and purpose of an Information Desk Forum.
Old Sep 30, 2013, 8:02 pm
Moderator, Trip Reports

Programs: UA GS-2MM, Marriott Ambassador
I think this is an excellent idea...most excellent in fact. We've have a positive reaction to the Newbie Lounges in the forums I am associated with directly and I think creating an Info Desk as a place to start for new members (and existing if they wish) can only add value to the user experience.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 6:13 am
rkv

As someone who is a relatively new and novice user to this forum, I believe this would be helpful. I have visited the FAQ on a few occasions and could not find what I needed. This would be a helpful and I suspect superior alternative to the FAQ.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 6:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
HE!! NO

we have enough newbie forums

we don't need another forum
Old Oct 1, 2013, 6:40 am

Yes - good idea

This would take some of the tredpidation out of getting involved here. It is really fun but intimidating when you first arrive. I am a newbie when it comes to experience even though I have been lurking for a while. I know I would take advantage of such a place. Most folks here are very kind and gentle with novices but sometimes there are a few who can't wait to jump in and tell you that you are in the wrong place, etc. This is a very sophisticated crowd. Having a toned down place to learn your way around before jumping in to the deep end of the pool would be excellant.

Last edited by profpeabody; Oct 1, 2013 at 6:42 am Reason: clarification
Old Oct 1, 2013, 6:53 am

yes an information desk would be useful
Old Oct 1, 2013, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
we have enough newbie forums

we don't need another forum
We already have a newbie forum? Where?
Old Oct 1, 2013, 8:08 am

Programs: Alaska Gold, Kimpton IC, Alaska Boardroom, Avis Preferred, HH
Like the idea - maybe a link to a "white board" video FT Tour as part of the newbie ramp up...
Old Oct 1, 2013, 8:47 am

I vote yes...useful even for an old lurker like me.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 8:49 am

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
I also vote yes.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Speaking for myself, I think having a Information Desk forum can be quite helpful to FTers. I didn't come up w/ the sub-title & might have tweaked it a tad, but it was part of the motion.

I view the information desk forum to be a totally welcoming one, and might include such things (perhaps in a sticky) on how to do things as simple as explaining thread tools (subscriptions, MyFlyertalk) or other things for those that are truly new & don't know how to do such things. Heck, I'm an old-timer & there are still things I'm just learning!

There would also be other newbie (or old-timer) threads that would get posted in the ID forum - and some would get switched over to Info Desk from MilesBuzz. I view the Info Desk forum to be bigger than just MilesBuzz items. There are threads that currently in MB that could/would get shunted to the new ID, but I view the ID to be more than just siphoning off MB threads/clearing that up. I look at it as a chance to be even more helpful. I don't view the IF forum as just a method to clear up MB, although that will happen. It can be more.

Cheers.
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
As mentioned, I didn't come up with the subtitle but we wanted to get the vote going on an Information Desk forum to a) create a new forum that will be welcoming & helpful to all FTers, especially newer ones; b) help clean up MilesBuzz by having some of the threads moved to ID or new ones get started there.

The vote is for the forum itself. The subtitle can be tweaked a bit if the forum gets approved. That's been done before.

Cheers.
Good points on all counts, Sharon. So a big ^ from me for this idea.

Agreed that you might need to tweak the title and perhaps even the nature of the forum a bit as it evolves, but there's nothing wrong with that.

The benefits to new and inexperienced members of this kind of forum have already been discussed in previous threads, as have other advantages such as cleaning up MilesBuzz somewhat. But I'd add that it also would make life easier for experienced members who want to be helpful. If I have time to kill, I'll occasionally peruse MilesBuzz and other forums for questions I can help answer. This new forum would facilitate that process for members looking to lend a helping, informative hand.

All in all, a win-win addition that enhances the value and nature of FT as a community.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 3:16 pm

Programs: QF Gold, ANZ Silver
I reckon this is a great idea!
Old Oct 1, 2013, 3:47 pm

Info desk

This is a great idea. I hop0e to see it come to fruition.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.