Wiki Posts
Search

Kimpton In Touch Forum Request

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2014, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by tcook052
Please lean toward making it harder to create forums rather than easier though that's merely my input FWIW.
Originally Posted by CMK10
I'm an open-minded guy, why do you feel fewer forums are better than more?
tcook052,

Like CMK10, I'm curious as to why you think it should be more difficult.

Moderator requirements? Too many current forums?

I think an improved FT search function could alleviate some issues FTers face when looking for information.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 8:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by rwoman
Like CMK10, I'm curious as to why you think it should be more difficult.
In sharing my opinion I didn't mean to derail this thread but just feel the threshold for forum creation should be much higher so that only those proposed forums with both a demonstrated audience and traffic are opened after a lengthy review process.

As well I'd like to see more regular reviews to determine whether the new forums that are created are being used or not with those that aren't shuttered. IMHO it's been to easy to create new forums and too hard to close dead ones and would like to see more of a balance created as I don't feel hundreds of lightly trafficked forums is in FT's best interest though appreciate not every member may share that POV.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 9:07 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by tcook052
In sharing my opinion I didn't mean to derail this thread but just feel the threshold for forum creation should be much higher so that only those proposed forums with both a demonstrated audience and traffic are opened after a lengthy review process.

As well I'd like to see more regular reviews to determine whether the new forums that are created are being used or not with those that aren't shuttered. IMHO it's been to easy to create new forums and too hard to close dead ones and would like to see more of a balance created as I don't feel hundreds of lightly trafficked forums is in FT's best interest though appreciate not every member may share that POV.
I don't think you've derailed it at all, in fact I appreciate your input. You're always welcome to submit in this thread a suggestion for a forum closure you think is important (in fact, we just closed the Group Travel forum). I think the standards for new forum are still pretty stringent though, over the years I've suggested several that were rejected and the Talk Board was right to reject them. I like your regular review idea, maybe we could appoint something to handle that for us.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 7:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I'd like the OP or other Kimpton-ites (sorry, for some reason Klingons just popped into my mind ) to come back & answer some of the questions/provide input (see post #7) for why there should be a forum for Kimpton.

As SFOPhD mentions, there are less than 100 hotels worldwide & fewer threads so I don't see a need for a dedicated forum at this point.

Re: new forums. "Is a critical mass of posts and readers anticipated or existing? We need adequate traffic to keep everyone visiting frequently. One living forum is more valuable than two mostly dead ones."

Re: reviews. In 2010 the guidelines were amended to include regular reviews in Feb & since then it's been done mostly once/year by nsx. There was even a recent thread about it in the public forum We'll do an update in Feb.

Cheers (from the freezing & snowy Midwest ).
Old Jan 7, 2014, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Re: new forums. "Is a critical mass of posts and readers anticipated or existing? We need adequate traffic to keep everyone visiting frequently. One living forum is more valuable than two mostly dead ones."
This. So totally this. Have you ever posted a question in one of the almost-dead forums on FT? If so, you'll know why dead forums are bad--you probably didn't get an answer (and your thread probably only got 5 views, 4 of which were from the Google bot).

A vibrant forum that isn't dedicated to your topic is far, far better than a dead forum that is. I used to subscribe to the "everything needs to be kept nicely organized in its own file cabinet drawer" mantra, but after seeing people's threads go unanswered because no one ever saw them, I've come around to realize that it's better to put them where they'll be seen and commented on.

I like Kimpton--well, at least the couple I've stayed in--and don't have anything against them, but I can't help but agree with the other posters above: the level of activity is likely to be so low as to render the forum useless and unhelpful. And if the majority of Kimpton members here are saying the same thing, you can bet they'll likely never check the forum, meaning people's questions will go unanswered, resulting in a net negative for FlyerTalk.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.