Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

Defining the mission of MilesBuzz; Adding a Flame Free Q&A Forum?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Defining the mission of MilesBuzz; Adding a Flame Free Q&A Forum?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2013, 8:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I've actually been following this thread with interest (can't speak for other TB members, but assuming they have as well). One reason is that I don't really go to MilesBuzz so I don't have the history or then & now, and look to others who are more involved for their input. The other is to see what is being suggested & would work/wouldn't work - and right now there are differences being suggested in this thread. It may be as simple as re-titling it & redoing the forum description, or perhaps not. FWIW - we try to avoid 'giving things & try & rolling it back', as it's easier (if maybe takes longer) to try & get it right/do it one time.

We're also now into summer so we might be running into a bit of TB & FT members on holidays or in my case injury. Having said that, I do think this is something that needs to be addressed because of the input in this thread, so perhaps we can move on it a bit sooner rather than later.

Cheers.
Old Jul 20, 2013, 5:47 pm

Programs: Work in progress.
Finally, we're getting somewhere.
Read through all 5 pages, and these are some of my thoughts/ideas/suggestions.

1. Question: Something that mostly everyone seems to have missed/ignored. WHO is going to help out in the "award booking forum" ?

2. Which brings me to my previous suggestion. We need a team of volunteers who are willing to do this. If you just leave it whoever wants to help out, can...we're really not going to get anywhere, and the number of these threads will grow and grow with fewer and fewer results.

3. The team of volunteers could be people proficient in their respective forums. Some really good with UA, some with the whole of Star Alliance, some with Delta and some with the whole of OneWorld.

4. While we're on that subject... How difficult would it be to create a GENERAL LIST of "mentors" that would oversee MilesBuzz and the Credit card forums? Or create a "Ask all your questions here FLAME-FREE. No question shall be ignored"... ?

5. I have (to my own surprise) noticed a lot of snarky members act a lot less snarky recently, and I don't know what's caused the change in behavior but this is a good trend.
Too often we forget that
A. We too were n00bs once.
B. Just because I know how to navigate an internet forum, doesn't mean
everyone does. That user who you're berating, could be a 72 year old
gentleman who after a lot of travelling over the years has realized that he has some miles accumulated and doesn't know what to do with them, and his only knowledge of the internet, is replying to email (true story!)

And we need to really bring an end to snarkiness. Make it punishable somehow. You act snarky, someone could report you. Get three reports and you're banned for X amount of time. I don't know...Something..!

6. If we do end up creating an "award booking" forum, could we create master threads inside? Like...
NYC-LHR, NYC-Schengen Zone, LAX-LHR, etc etc.

Say 10-15 of these. Everyone who's ever successfully redeemed miles for a trip like that, could post the routing they created, the number of miles they used, and how they went about doing it.

So tomorrow, if I'm looking to fly BOS-DUB, I'll see that Oh Wow! I can redeem Avios and fly that route for cheap! Or coming back from U.K to NYC, I'd see that I could redeem 4500 Avios and fly to CDG and route from there to avoid the LHR surchage etc etc.

Originally Posted by Mary2e
As an ambassador, I'm really not supposed to tell people to "go search & read." The point of the program is to help newbies, which I do, but only if after I search their posting history I see that they are truly trying to learn and not just posting to get that free vacation the bloggers promised.
I guess so

I'm not required to respond to anyone, and particularly newbies NOT in the Hyatt forum. Neither are you.
No offence Mary2e, but THIS is not what I (in my opinion) think how an ambassador is supposed to behave.

Originally Posted by Shuai Zeng
From my point of views on this, is one word "laziness". ...I swear that how many people just want answer, and don't want to do the work them self. There is so many blogger out there that will tell them how to use redeem for their trip. I would like to see Milesbuzz go back to the way it was, before all these newbies came and flood with advice asking questions.
Looking at your posts, I can see how helpful you've been and how you've never needed any help.

Originally Posted by UA Fan
I like this. I am against adding a new forum, because the regulars will not really step in to help. When I see these threads in forums I visit, I tend to open and read. But when I don't need help, I won't have an incentive to venture there.

I say we have a thread that helps people plan their trips. Also another thread along the lines of the one in the Star Alliance forum that helps people decide the FFP best for them.

Or move threads to the most suitable airline/hotel forum.
[emphasis mine] Finally someone addressed the issue. Who's going to help?

As to the other part..I'd rather NOT have a thread for one reason...It'll very soon grow into a mega thread and everything will be lost in it. Atleast having a forum would help in that, if I'm looking to get from ABC to XYZ, I can see if someone else has posted something similar and that would help me out.

Also, a lack of this technology on FT would mean that in one thread, I'd have to keep browsing the pages to see who all have replied to me.
Old Jul 20, 2013, 6:29 pm

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
It may be as simple as re-titling it & redoing the forum description
FWIW I'd favor this option over adding more forums but that's just MHO.
Old Jul 21, 2013, 8:32 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by tcook052
FWIW I'd favor this option over adding more forums but that's just MHO.
I tend to agree, but I also suspect that any forum that appears at the top of the list is going to attract a lot of newbie traffic. If we want to protect MilesBuzz from all of the help me get a free ticket first posts, we might want to reorder the forum list.
Old Jul 21, 2013, 10:03 am

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
Whatever is done, I hope it is soon. There are an average of about 15 personal "Advice" threads per page in Miles Buzz. There is an average of about 1-2 threads with interesting ideas of earning or redeeming miles.
Old Jul 21, 2013, 12:31 pm

I like how so many people are coming here to complain about how MilesBuzz should be fixed but only 10% of them are willing to figure out a solution...

Give me my deals.
Newbies? Who cares about them...Shove them into a different forum.
Old Jul 21, 2013, 5:14 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
Originally Posted by jatink129
I like how so many people are coming here to complain about how MilesBuzz should be fixed but only 10% of them are willing to figure out a solution...

Give me my deals.
Newbies? Who cares about them...Shove them into a different forum.
It has been suggested by numerous people, including myself, to create a new forum or sub-forum devoted exclusively to "advice" threads. That would solve 90% of the problem - seems simple enough.
Old Jul 21, 2013, 8:53 pm

Create an advice forum and get rid of all the Advice threads in Milezbuzz. It is useless to even read MB anymore with all the Advice threads littering it.
Old Jul 22, 2013, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Originally Posted by jatink129
No offence Mary2e, but THIS is not what I (in my opinion) think how an ambassador is supposed to behave.
None taken.

But I'm confused... lack of responding in a forum for which I'm NOT the ambassador isn't how I'm supposed to behave?
Old Jul 22, 2013, 9:44 am

None taken.

But I'm confused... lack of responding in a forum for which I'm NOT the ambassador isn't how I'm supposed to behave?
The point wasn't that you're not replying because you're not the ambassador to that forum. Rather it was the attitude towards the problem.

"I'm not required to respond to anyone"

"but only if after I search their posting history..."

I'd expect an ambassador to be less judgmental. That's all.
Old Jul 22, 2013, 10:00 am

Yes, in miles buzz, I simply can't be bothered to respond the the endless questions from newbies who want information handed to them.

That is not a behavior. I'm not impolite nor unhelpful. I just don't respond. Do you respond to every question asked in every forum?

As evidenced by the posts in this thread, as well as comments in miles buzz, it IS a problem that I think would be solved by having an advice forum.

Since the explosion of credit card bonuses over the last two years, Miles Buzz has become completely useless for it's intended purpose. Before it was the credit card churning forum, now it's the advice forum. Neither of which is it's stated mission.

Last edited by Mary2e; Jul 22, 2013 at 10:38 am
Old Jul 22, 2013, 11:48 am

That is not a behavior. I'm not impolite nor unhelpful. I just don't respond. Do you respond to every question asked in every forum?
That's not a fair analogy is it?
If someone asked ME a question, then yes, I do my best to reply.

The inference from what you said was that you ignore people if you feel they are always asking for help to get free rides. Or if someone asks you a question that's not related to your forum.
The second is excusable, the first (IMO) is not.
Old Jul 22, 2013, 12:10 pm

Please don't infer anything about my motives or what I do or do not do on FT.

It seems that I came out and said what others are already doing, and have ended up defending NOT doing anything in Miles Buzz, all because I'm an ambassador.

If someone asks ME a question, either online, via email, or via PM, I always respond. But I never get those questions outside of Hyatt, well, because that's what it says below my name.

Now, apparently to some, it is required to respond to all questions in all forums just for the honor of volunteering to be an ambassador. Sheesh.
Old Jul 22, 2013, 1:01 pm

I didn't mean any offence Mary2e. And obviously, I misunderstood what you meant when you said that you didn't reply to some.
I thought you meant that you ignored PMs...whereas that's (apparently ) not true.

Apologies.
Old Jul 22, 2013, 1:21 pm

Accepted ^^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.