Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

Defining the mission of MilesBuzz; Adding a Flame Free Q&A Forum?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Defining the mission of MilesBuzz; Adding a Flame Free Q&A Forum?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2013, 1:45 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
If the default is elsewhere, why repost in MBuzz?

Shouldn't the 'training' be, if looking for hotel deals see hotel deal forum, if looking for mileage run deals, see mileage run deals forum, etc etc.
-
I'll admit to being lazy and liking it quite a lot when an interesting opportunity pops up in one centralized area because I don't want to have to dig through every single other subforum to turn it up. Example- there's a Jet Blue promo right now that lets you rack up 1000 free points in their loyalty program for about 10-15 minutes of effort. I normally have no reason to pay attention to Jet Blue; the nearest they come to my house is about a four hour's drive away in New Orleans. But you can swap those points at Points.com into any number of other programs because you can pull points out of True Blue in 1000 point chunks there. Which could get me 630 PC points or 230 Skypesos, that would actually be relevant for my travel purposes.

This is the kind of stuff I'd love to see in MilesBuzz- places to pick up a bit of loyalty currency where you wouldn't necessarily expect it. If it's buried in the Jet Blue forum where it's currently getting some discussion, I never see it; instead I was just lucky to find out about the promo while glancing through Slick Deals.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 2:15 pm

Please please create the "Help me find awards" subforum. Milesbuzz is just dying with all these "help me" posts.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Actually, we should send all of them to the bloggers. After all, it is they who held their hand, step-by-step and showed them how to earn the miles.

They didn't bother telling them how to even begin looking at redeeming them - much less some of the hoops they have to jump through to redeem certain awards.

Miles Buzz is a total waste now. I fully support a new forum where people can ask for help redeeming their miles/points.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by lin821
Agree 10000000000%!

Unfortunately that's the current de facto state of MilesBuzz! Forum today, which is very disappointing and frustrating for those of us who visit for milesbuzzing purpose. We have a significant number of people that lay out their requests and take over MilesBuzz! Forum and MilesBuzz! isn't milesbuzzing no more!

Chase UR Forum was created for a reason: traffic & demand. IMHO, same thing has been happening to award redemption/planning that floods MilesBuzz! Forum, due to the "ripple effect" from years of cc churning and/or signup bonuses. Folks got help and earned tons of miles/points, but they don't know what or how to use them now.

Maybe it's time to think about a dedicated forum for this line of member requests. When folks need assistance to use their points/miles, either as a novice or savvy FTer, I would think a separate forum for the purpose of award planning or redemption should be more helpful and useful. I don't think a thread-oriented approach will adequately address this specific type of need.

With a dedicated forum, folks who need help would know where exactly to ask for assistance. For those who are willing to help out, they would certainly frequent such forum. When a request turned out to be a simple FFP redemption, MOD could easily relocate such thread to the airline forum, thus no worries for cross-posting. Everybody would be happier!

So what about a new Award Planning Forum?

My idea for an Award Planning Forum is different from a Q&A Forum. A general Q&A Forum is certainly not milesbuzzing but would do good for those who:

1. are clueless newbies;
2. want to travel (for free) but don't have miles/points at bay;
3. need basic FT education;
4. don't know how and/or where to start their research for FFPs;
5. don't know where to ask their questions or which forum their questions belong;
6. have questions that involve multi-FFP or alliance;
7. have many more general Qs.

I do think separating award planning from general Qs will be a more clean-cut restructuring for FT. Award Planning Forum would still belong to Miles&Points Section but a general catchall Q&A Forum shall be less fitting.
^ Makes sense to me.

As others have suggested, add an "Read This First" explanatory note at the top of the forum, explaining that it not for questions about specific hotel or airline awards, or about the use of specific cc point. (Or, if it might save the Mods some hassles of moving many newbie/lazy hotel/airline-specific questions to other forums, more explicitly say "Read This First to Get Your Questions Addressed").

And perhaps tweak the suggested title a bit if a title like "General Award Advice Forum" might convey that the new forum is not for airline/hotel-specific questions and that it includes award advice (such as re points/miles accrual) that might extend beyond planning specific trips.

But these are just details that I'm sure the Mods' collective wisdom can sort out.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 8:47 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler (Gold), Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by beachmouse
I'll admit to being lazy and liking it quite a lot when an interesting opportunity pops up in one centralized area because I don't want to have to dig through every single other subforum to turn it up. ...

This is the kind of stuff I'd love to see in MilesBuzz- places to pick up a bit of loyalty currency where you wouldn't necessarily expect it. If it's buried in the Jet Blue forum where it's currently getting some discussion, I never see it; instead I was just lucky to find out about the promo while glancing through Slick Deals.
I concur. The purpose of MB has been hijacked by advice threads. It seems like there have been enough of them lately to create a new forum--and it should be the first one visitors see.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 9:15 pm

Second the motion

I like the idea of an awards planning forum.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 9:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by Mary2e
Miles Buzz is a total waste now. I fully support a new forum where people can ask for help redeeming their miles/points.
I agree the forum isn't what it used to be but it's changed because IMHO we're not proactively encouraging members, especially newer ones, to invest the time to research their questions in the individual forums that already exist and that are outstanding resources. Creating a brand new forum merely enables that behavior which ultimately I think makes FT harder not easier to use with added layers of duplication.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 12:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by wharvey
I have to say that I actually find those posts valuable... and I learn much from the responses members make when helping other members.
Indeed. How about one thread that is meant to help people with their award planning? Something like the US Star award thread?
Old Jul 19, 2013, 8:14 am

Originally Posted by tcook052
I agree the forum isn't what it used to be but it's changed because IMHO we're not proactively encouraging members, especially newer ones, to invest the time to research their questions in the individual forums that already exist and that are outstanding resources. Creating a brand new forum merely enables that behavior which ultimately I think makes FT harder not easier to use with added layers of duplication.
I agree. But most of these people don't want to be bothered to learn. As an ambassador, I'm really not supposed to tell people to "go search & read." The point of the program is to help newbies, which I do, but only if after I search their posting history I see that they are truly trying to learn and not just posting to get that free vacation the bloggers promised.

FWIW - in the individual program forums, at least those I look at, these newbies are mostly being ignored by the regulars.

I think we need a place to send them and those who want to help can go to that forum. Part of that help could and should include, the information/means to find the information themselves.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 8:14 am

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Originally Posted by philemer
Then they are not trying.
I am aware of it. I know it's features. I don't like it.

Can we please not keep assuming that there is a one size fits all (which - of course - happens to be the way you like to do things!) and that if someone doesn't like it/finds it awkward/doesn't use it then it is their fault for not being willing to do what you do? Thinking like that is how we get monstrous mega threads running to thousands of posts across years and years and years that become more and more inaccessible as time goes on...

Thanks.

When I run training, I have to bear in mind that people learn in different ways. That's what we are doing here - learning. And to assume there is only one way to do it is to ignore a lot of research into behaviours associated with learning. One size does not fit all when it comes to learning.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 8:19 am

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
I agree. But most of these people don't want to be bothered to learn. As an ambassador, I'm really not supposed to tell people to "go search & read." The point of the program is to help newbies, which I do, but only if after I search their posting history I see that they are truly trying to learn and not just posting to get that free vacation the bloggers promised.

FWIW - in the individual program forums, at least those I look at, these newbies are mostly being ignored by the regulars.

I think we need a place to send them and those who want to help can go to that forum. Part of that help could and should include, the information/means to find the information themselves.
So the ambassador program isn't to help newbies, but rather only those newbies who meet an ambassador's personal standards?
Old Jul 19, 2013, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by kipper
So the ambassador program isn't to help newbies, but rather only those newbies who meet an ambassador's personal standards?
I guess so

I'm not required to respond to anyone, and particularly newbies NOT in the Hyatt forum. Neither are you.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by restonva
I like the idea of an awards planning forum.
I agree. The entire miles buzz forum seems to be filled with advice requests. Why can't they research on their own like others have?
Old Jul 19, 2013, 8:44 am

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
I guess so

I'm not required to respond to anyone, and particularly newbies NOT in the Hyatt forum. Neither are you.
So then, if the point isn't to help all newbies in said program, what is the point of the ambassador program?
Old Jul 19, 2013, 9:04 am

Originally Posted by kipper
So then, if the point isn't to help all newbies in said program, what is the point of the ambassador program?
Who said I don't help them?

Any reason why you are so combative today?

If you think that I'm not adhering to the program, my suggestion is to complain to the Hyatt mods and the community director. As well, this topic isn't about the ambassador program. Let's stay on topic please.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.