Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

Time to re-task forums for discussion of companies rather than their FF programs?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Time to re-task forums for discussion of companies rather than their FF programs?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2013, 7:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Sarfa33
With the change to follow the entity rather than the FFP (a change I support), should the Miles & More airlines (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss) each have a separate forum (or sub-forum)? In other words, now that the fora will not be based on FFP, what's the logic for grouping these airlines into a single forum?

-S
I know we discussed this in the private forum. I need to go back & check that.

Originally Posted by drewguy
This is a good point. I'll add to it that the "etc" is rather unhelpful. I suggest identifying all airlines covered within the group if the group approach is taken.

Perhaps given the scope of the program each airline should be covered with its own heading, as Sarfa33 suggests, with a separate subforum under Lufthansa for "Miles and More general" (or something to that effect).

Also, this list does not include either the "Other [region]" airlines or the "budget [region]" airlines. Those categories should be retained, IMO.
Etc won't be listed. I think when we were doing work in the private forum that was just short-hand.

"Others & Budget" are still included. I didn't list them above as I was showing how the entities would appear w/ the new nomenclature.

Originally Posted by tcook052
MHO would be to simply retitle the categories as "Airlines" and "Hotels".

Also while these changes are being considered I'd like to see further reorganizational steps taken, such as moving all hotel topics under a single "Hotel" banner. For example, why leave Luxury Hotels at one end of the FT spectrum and Hotel Deals at the other? MHO would be to bring these hotel topic forums under one banner for simplicity and continuity.
This proposal is to rename the current airline/hotel forums for the entity rather than the frequent flyer/stay program. Neither Luxury nor Deals is named for an entity.

Originally Posted by cblaisd
What happened to the Hawaii-based Airlines [and their programs]?
"Hawaii" is still included. I didn't list it above as I was showing how the entities would appear w/ the new nomenclature.

Originally Posted by lin821
And don't forget those in "Others" categories:

Perhaps the same reason as "India-based Airlines" & "Russia/CIS-based Airlines" since they are listed as "airlines" already?
"Others & Budget" are still included. I didn't list them above as I was showing how the entities would appear w/ the new nomenclature.

Cheers.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 7:32 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
"Hawaii" is still included. I didn't list it above as I was showing how the entities would appear w/ the new nomenclature.
Thanks. I thought it was an exhaustive list and somehow those airlines/programs had accidentally gotten left off.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 7:36 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
BTW, M&M is the native FFP of: Adria Airways, Austrian Airlines , Air Dolomiti, Brussels Airlines, Croatia Airlines, Germanwings, LOT Polish Airlines, Lufthansa, Luxair and SWISS. We already farm a lot of threads opened on LO/EN/OU/JP/OS from the OEFFP forum over to M&M today. Condor is another odd partner that has no FFP of its own, but allows credit to M&M.

Similar confusion exists for AF-KL:
Flying Blue is founded by AIR FRANCE KLM
Flying Blue is also the frequent traveller programme of Air Europa, Kenya Airways, Tarom, Aircalin, HOP!
...and Transavia. @:-)
Old Oct 29, 2013, 7:38 am

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
This proposal is to rename the current airline/hotel forums for the entity rather than the frequent flyer/stay program. Neither Luxury nor Deals is named for an entity.
I understand that but MHO on this proposal would be to not refer to the program at all and only title the headings as "Hotels" and "Airlines" which would allow for some consolidation of certain topics like hotels.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 12:54 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

I think it is important that forum titles continue to represent both the airline/hotel chain name and its respective loyalty programme to give equal weight to the core themes under discussion in each forum - product and loyalty aspects. Forum descriptions are so easily overlooked and I feel the proposed change, if implemented, will inevitably lead to a greater number of misposted threads. For example:
I want to redeem points from my Executive Club account for a night’s stay at the Berlin Hilton. Where do I post my booking question? British Airways or Hilton? With both entities covered by the forum title, the decision can be reached intuitively. Removal of the loyalty programme entity may cause new members to struggle
The forum jump list should continue to display both too.

Other pit falls:
The Flying Blue parent forum is dedicated towards discussion of FFP issues. Its sub forums specifically relate to product/service issues of 1) Air France and 2) KLM. How will this structure be reconciled in the proposed change?

Navigation using mobile devices:
Several forum names in the draft list are very short, e.g.. LAN, EL AL etc. While I currently have no problems navigating through the forum list using iPhone/Safari and Windows Phone/IE, sausage fingers here will have a problem with short title links. As for making more effective use of available “real estate” since this is largely dictated by the forum frame, any GUI improvement can only come from Internet Brands.

So, on reflection I am seeing a great many more cons than pros. Apologies if this feedback isn’t more encouraging. Needless to say, this is an interesting discussion.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 1:00 pm

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by Prospero
I think it is important that forum titles continue to represent both the airline/hotel chain name and its respective loyalty programme to give equal weight to the core themes under discussion in each forum - product and loyalty aspects. Forum descriptions are so easily overlooked and I feel the proposed change, if implemented, will inevitably lead to a greater number of misposted threads. For example:
I want to redeem points from my Executive Club account for a night’s stay at the Berlin Hilton. Where do I post my booking question? British Airways or Hilton? With both entities covered by the forum title, the decision can be reached intuitively. Removal of the loyalty programme entity may cause new members to struggle
The forum jump list should continue to display both too.

Other pit falls:
The Flying Blue parent forum is dedicated towards discussion of FFP issues. Its sub forums specifically relate to product/service issues of 1) Air France and 2) KLM. How will this structure be reconciled in the proposed change?

Navigation using mobile devices:
Several forum names in the draft list are very short, e.g.. LAN, EL AL etc. While I currently have no problems navigating through the forum list using iPhone/Safari and Windows Phone/IE, sausage fingers here will have a problem with short title links. As for making more effective use of available “real estate” since this is largely dictated by the forum frame, any GUI improvement can only come from Internet Brands.

So, on reflection I am seeing a great many more cons than pros. Apologies if this feedback isn’t more encouraging. Needless to say, this is an interesting discussion.
So, would something like: American Airlines & American AAdvantage, Delta Airlines & Delta SkyMiles, etc. work?
Old Oct 29, 2013, 1:16 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by kipper
So, would something like: American Airlines & American AAdvantage, Delta Airlines & Delta SkyMiles, etc. work?
Possibly

The examples below are more what I had in mind:

American AAdvantage
Delta SkyMiles

or

American | AAdvantage
Delta | SkyMiles

or

American Airlines | AAdvantage
Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles

I'd suggest ampersands be avoided until which point the FT mobile app can display them.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 1:25 pm

Possibly

The examples below are more what I had in mind:

American AAdvantage
Delta SkyMiles

or

American | AAdvantage
Delta | SkyMiles

or

I'd suggest ampersands be avoided until which point the FT mobile app can display them.
I like the third option. I didn't realize about the mobile app. I tried it once, hated it, and haven't tried to use it since.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
American | AAdvantage
Delta | SkyMiles

or

I would not necessarily be opposed to something like this. (FWIW, it's exactly what MilePoint already does.)
Old Oct 29, 2013, 2:12 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
I like this format, but I don't see a problem using the word and:

American Airlines and AAdvantage
British Airways and Excutive Club
Delta Airlines and SkyMiles
Virgin Atlantic Airlines and Flying Club

American Express and Membership Rewards
Chase and Ultimate Rewards
Diners Club and Club Rewards
Old Oct 29, 2013, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by mia
I like this format, but I don't see a problem using the word and:

American Airlines and AAdvantage
British Airways and Excutive Club
Delta Airlines and SkyMiles
Virgin Atlantic Airlines and Flying Club

American Express and Membership Rewards
Chase and Ultimate Rewards
Diners Club and Club Rewards
I think that looks ugly and old-fashioned; a pipe character (|) looks much more modern. That's a big reason I'm supporting a change in the first place: we desperately need to get us un-stuck from 1998.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 2:42 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
.Other pit falls:
Interesting. I guess my question is - is this the only forum out of the many that does it (well, Swiss might be the other one) & do we not change things because of a single forum vs. the many that don't have it that way?

Originally Posted by jackal
That's a big reason I'm supporting a change in the first place: we desperately need to get us un-stuck from 1998.
The reason I'm supporting the change is that FT has evolved since 1998 & discussions in the forums (KLM/AF aside) encompass more than just the FF/stay program & the renaming would reflect that. Up until today there's pretty much been support for the new way of listing by FTers posting in this thread. We've had some post here (especially newbies) that they felt like they couldn't ask a non FF program question because the forum name had the FF program name in it.

Re: the mobile issue. Some have said they think it would be better for checking on mobile apps (probably phones vs tablets). Some think there might be a sausage finger issue. That one could go either way, although most of the forums have more than 3 letter names so I don't see it being a huge sausage finger issue. Of course it would be better if FT had a better mobile app, but that's something for another day & outside of TB control.

Cheers.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 6:51 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by kipper
I like the third option. I didn't realize about the mobile app. I tried it once, hated it, and haven't tried to use it since.
I like the third option as well, although I also like the entity names. The current problem is that someone sees the FF forum title and then isn't sure where to post a question about the airline (or the hotel chain or a particular hotel), often leading to very apologetic first posts and some misplaced threads.

BTW, I've given up on the mobile app and just use the regular FT website with Safari on my ipad.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 9:54 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by jackal
I think that looks ugly and old-fashioned; a pipe character (|) looks much more modern. That's a big reason I'm supporting a change in the first place: we desperately need to get us un-stuck from 1998.
Completely agree and me likey: American Airlines | AAdvantage
Old Oct 30, 2013, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by kokonutz
Completely agree and me likey: American Airlines | AAdvantage
It seems as though a motion like that would have some support on TalkBoard then, at least to have it considered, correct?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.