Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

What good is MilesBuzz! if .... [Legacy card threads moved to Credit Card Programs]

What good is MilesBuzz! if .... [Legacy card threads moved to Credit Card Programs]

Old May 19, 2013, 12:02 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Originally Posted by PaulMSN
So I went to the Credit Card Programs forum. It is really boring with just the various credit card threads to view.
So in your opinion, what threads should be viewed in the Credit Card Programs Forum, if not the "various credit cards threads?"

If credit card threads really bore you, probably CC Programs Forum is not for you?
Old May 19, 2013, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lin821
So in your opinion, what threads should be viewed in the Credit Card Programs Forum, if not the "various credit cards threads?"

If credit card threads really bore you, probably CC Programs Forum is not for you?
I didn't decide to create a credit cards forum and I didn't decide to move all the threads out of Milesbuzz into it, so you're asking the wrong person.

The credit card threads are occasionally interesting, along with all the other point-earning possibilities I might not have known of, but once I'd gotten the card I only checked each thread occasionally to see if some new wrinkle had popped up. These threads together with all the other threads, including what is now in the Spend forum, made Milesbuzz a place I checked every day along with the S.P.A.M. forum. Now I have to check multiple places for what used to be conveniently in one place, and each place alone is less interesting.
Old May 19, 2013, 3:28 pm

It's great that some mods are deleting posts to this thread that try to rationally explain the reason many newish people like me don't like the change. Well done faceless mod, well done. To recap what I had said previously: MB is great because new folks can go to one spot to see some really compelling threads...threads that get people hooked on FT. This is what happened to me, and now I read it several times a day. Making it more difficult to get people hooked won't help FT be profitable and ultimately hurts the community. People that have been here 10+ years with 10k+ posts may know how to find everything easily, use MyFT to subscribe to everything, and want to take the time to deal with all of that - but for "regular" folks, this is a bad move.
Old May 19, 2013, 4:37 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
garkman and others: Be assured that several TalkBoard members are reading this thread with great interest. Any and all constructive suggestions will be appreciated.
Old May 19, 2013, 5:20 pm
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

Originally Posted by nsx
garkman and others: Be assured that several TalkBoard members are reading this thread with great interest. Any and all constructive suggestions will be appreciated.
On that note, I'm going to relocate this thread to TalkBoard Topics as it pertains to Flyertalk structure and management.
Old May 19, 2013, 5:30 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by nsx
Be assured that several TalkBoard members are reading this thread with great interest.
Also keeping in mind that the Talk Board has nothing to do with moderation or decisions of moderators. About the only option available to you would be to create a new forum or subforum, close an existing one, or merge two of them together. As a Talk Board member, are you leaning towards one of those options or do you have something else in mind?
Old May 19, 2013, 6:26 pm

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by nsx
I'd suggest the first thing would be to stop having all the posts being deleted by your fellow moderators. So far this thread has had something of a North Korean feel to it.
Old May 19, 2013, 6:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA PLAT, TK GLD, Hilton Diamond, IC PLAT, SPG GLD, Marriott GLD
Bottom line:

Being exposed to multiple airline/hotel offers in one forum is easier and more convenient than going to multiple sub-forums and hunting for the content, which adds readers and page views.

the CC section is full of cash back cards & spending schemes, not necessarily a TRAVEL oriented section of FT, which is why I rarely visited that sub-forum before.

Let's talk about those who post the deals. Will we see less deals posted because everything is now scattered? Especially when the CC forum is geared to cash back and not travel?

I believe a Gaussian curve applies to all societies, where 17.5% of readers will follow, 17.5% of readers will lose interest and leave, and 65% are undecided.

By moving popular threads from MB to other sub-forums, you think you are swelling the 17.5% of readers that will follow, but all you will end up doing is alienating a majority of the 65% undecided that have to go through unnecessary effort to get the same information that kept bringing them back here.

The bloggers do a fine job of scraping FT for content and have an easier setup to get scraped info with simple searches or tags on their articles.

So, I ask, what is your intention with eradicating so much from the MB forum?

Take a stroll through the first 2 pages of topics in that forum. I challenge any Mod or whoever else is in charge to list **ANY** buzz-worthy topic in the first 2 pages

all i see are 'help me fly to XXX' or 'i have XX points, how do I spend them' or 'get a whopping 1k miles by jumping through this fire on one leg' type offers
Old May 19, 2013, 6:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by nsx
Indeed: I'm present and paying attention, as are several of my colleagues. There's also a thread in our private TalkBoard forum that draws attention to this thread and the issues raised here.
Old May 19, 2013, 6:46 pm

MilesBuzz is so irrelevant that they moved a thread about "MilesBuzz" to another forum.

Einsteinian!
Old May 19, 2013, 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
There's also a thread in our private TalkBoard forum that draws attention to this thread and the issues raised here.
Can you identify what, if any issues, the Talk Board has the authority to resolve here? The Talk Board has no say in moderation, and that includes the placement and relocation of threads and posts. That seems to be the focus of this thread.

Aside from adding or deleting forums, what can the Talk Board do when it comes down to an issue of moderator performance?

To me this is clearly an issue between the moderators and the Community Director in regards to policing forums. They need to work it out between themselves as to what belongs where.
Old May 19, 2013, 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by stupidzbu
So, I ask, what is your intention with eradicating so much from the MB forum?

Take a stroll through the first 2 pages of topics in that forum. I challenge any Mod or whoever else is in charge to list **ANY** buzz-worthy topic in the first 2 pages
Now that we're in the Talk Board forum, the Talk Board does not have any authority over any of these issues you have raised.
Old May 19, 2013, 8:06 pm

I guess this is about the "power" of Moderators than a "good management" of the forum based on the "customer wants". This is probably the "idea of the week"!! Can anyone justify the rational of these changes?? Why don't they just remove "Milesbuzz" altogether??

I guess I will be depending more on BLOGGERS for "Milesbuzz" than flyertalk.com now on.
Old May 19, 2013, 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by koolr
Why don't they just remove "Milesbuzz" altogether??
The moderators have no control over forum creation and deletion. That is handled by the Talk Board. If you want the Talk Board to consider such a motion, probably best to start a new thread on it so that it gets the attention it deserves.
Old May 19, 2013, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by ma91pmh
I'd suggest the first thing would be to stop having all the posts being deleted by your fellow moderators. So far this thread has had something of a North Korean feel to it.
North Korean? A sum of three posts have been deleted. I am not a moderator of MilesBuzz or the TalkBoard Topics forum, so I cannot see the actual posts now, but my recollection from earlier reading is that those three posts were in specific violation of the prohibition (in the FlyerTalk Rules) on discussing specific acts of moderation.

Be careful when using hyperbole. It can weaken your point if not used effectively.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.