Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

What good is MilesBuzz! if .... [Legacy card threads moved to Credit Card Programs]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What good is MilesBuzz! if .... [Legacy card threads moved to Credit Card Programs]

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2013, 9:33 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by nsx
That's what UA Fan's thread was for, but...

UA Fan's thread was moved to Credit Card Programs. I'm not sure that was a good move.

I hope Internet Brands can some day figure out how to display the same thread in 2 forums. Until then, how about the following:

Mods could add one sticky in MilesBuzz for all the top deals, whether they are credit cards or anything else. The top deals will reside in a Wiki at the top of the thread. Anyone with 90 posts and 90 days can edit the Wiki and update it.

Presto: MilesBuzz is again one stop shopping, more convenient than ever!
Actually the above blue-bolded text would solve most of this debate! I can't imagine it's that hard since other online communities do so...but I guess that would distract IB from important improvements like making the front page prettier.

Without UA Fan's sticky thread the CC forum would be much harder to navigate for CC offer purposes, as there is an awful large scope of what falls within the CC forum - from credit score questions to CHIP and PIN discussions. A wiki would be nice.
Old May 18, 2013, 10:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by savedbyhim01
Looks like a ploy to increase page views (ie: ad rates).
What on earth makes you say that?

For one, mods are unpaid volunteers and receive absolutely no direction from Internet Brands about what to do. Mods don't have jobs or bonuses at stake or anything, and the mods are completely free to do (and, in my experience, always do) what they believe is in the best interests of the community.

Two, your argument makes zero sense. Even IF IB were trying to force the mods to increase page views and earn more ad revenue, wouldn't the best way to do that to make the community happy? Angering the community by performing actions that the community doesn't like only serves to decrease involvement on the site, which decreases page views and ad revenue.

I just wanted anyone reading this to be completely clear that this poster's accusation absolutely not the case.
Old May 18, 2013, 11:08 pm

Programs: The Golden status boy
Don't see the problem.

If you want to collect AA miles, go to the AA forum. If you want United, go there. If you want to see what shiny new promo the credit card companies are dangling, go to the credit card forum.

I find it ironic that so many complain about bloggers spoon feeding the masses and then complain that their quest to get miles and points is no longer as packaged as they would like.
Old May 18, 2013, 11:29 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
I actually like the moving of the credit cards to their own forum. But then I'm not a churner (excellent credit, but everything's locked down tight because of an ongoing identify theft issue) and it's nice not to have to dig through 5 CC threads for every non-CC thread.

And I like the idea of MB being a one stop of non-credit card current promos because it lets you pick up a handful of miles/points in programs you might not otherwise be aware of. Am I going to fly Cathay Pacific any time soon? Not likely. Would I like to pick up free 1,000 miles from there and move them into a program that I'll actually use some time soon? Yeah, that would be nifty.
Old May 18, 2013, 11:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by spankytoes
Don't see the problem.
Me neither as most of these issues were dealt with at a TalkBoard level and every member was invited to offer their input about forum reorganization, including the creation of a UR forum.
Old May 19, 2013, 6:01 am

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by PaulMSN
Very bad decision, in my opinion.
I must agree. I just don't have the time to search out multiple forums regularly that way. I'll find myself relying more and more on the bloggers to do that for me.
Old May 19, 2013, 6:14 am

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by spankytoes
Don't see the problem.

If you want to collect AA miles, go to the AA forum. If you want United, go there. If you want to see what shiny new promo the credit card companies are dangling, go to the credit card forum.

I find it ironic that so many complain about bloggers spoon feeding the masses and then complain that their quest to get miles and points is no longer as packaged as they would like.
Many of us live in non-hub cities and are constantly wanting to evaluate many programs, airline and credit card, and not just maximize the value of one airline's program. FlyerTalk has become a lot less useful. (I've never been one to criticize the role of the bloggers - they fill a very important niche, and now increasingly so.)
Old May 19, 2013, 7:28 am

Originally Posted by jackal
What on earth makes you say that?

For one, mods are unpaid volunteers and receive absolutely no direction from Internet Brands about what to do. Mods don't have jobs or bonuses at stake or anything, and the mods are completely free to do (and, in my experience, always do) what they believe is in the best interests of the community.

Two, your argument makes zero sense. Even IF IB were trying to force the mods to increase page views and earn more ad revenue, wouldn't the best way to do that to make the community happy? Angering the community by performing actions that the community doesn't like only serves to decrease involvement on the site, which decreases page views and ad revenue.

I just wanted anyone reading this to be completely clear that this poster's accusation absolutely not the case.
I could be wrong. I don't know the background of the mods or who makes the decision. If it is true that they are unpaid volunteers and not at all influenced by the website owner, then you have a valid point. If it is a decision to increase page views, I don't really have a problem with it. Website owners have the right to do what they like. I would fully understand changing the structure to create more impressions.

As for your last point, I agree. It would be a short-sighted decision. In the short term it could increase page views by forcing users to sift through many sub-forums to find the info they are looking for. In the long-term you are right that it would alienate users over time.

If it is not a revenue based decision, why make it? It is clear that virtually everyone disagrees with it.
Old May 19, 2013, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by jackal
...Angering the community by performing actions that the community doesn't like only serves to decrease involvement on the site, which decreases page views and ad revenue...
That is exactly what you are doing. I personally am using FT much less now that MB contains mostly useless information.

I like the OLD MB.
Old May 19, 2013, 9:30 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
MilesBuzz! is not a condensed edition of FlyerTalk. You can make your own digest by using MyFlyerTalk and subscribing to forums or threads you wish to follow. Subscribing allows you to follow threads even as they migrate to another forum. Using MyFlyerTalk allows you to easily and quickly navigate between your subscribed forums. Click the Yellow and Red icon in the upper right corner of any FT page to get started.

Last edited by mia; May 19, 2013 at 1:39 pm
Old May 19, 2013, 9:40 am

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Originally Posted by 84fiero
Originally Posted by nsx
I hope Internet Brands can some day figure out how to display the same thread in 2 forums.
Actually the above blue-bolded text would solve most of this debate! I can't imagine it's that hard since other online communities do so...but I guess that would distract IB from important improvements like making the front page prettier.
(bolding mine)

Actually, please imagine it is really that had and currently impossible here on FT. Read the following existing threads over Suggestions Forum you'll know why:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/sugge...le-forums.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/sugge...le-forums.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/sugge...rk-though.html

I have no objection to your last sentence though. I don't have a single clue how IB prioritizes "important" improvements on FT.

I don't know the background of the mods or who makes the decision. If it is true that they are unpaid volunteers...
FT MODs are unpaid volunteers and have always been. You can following the newest discussion here.

If it is not a revenue based decision, why make it? It is clear that virtually everyone disagrees with it.
(underline mine)

Everyone? Really? Are you sure?
Old May 19, 2013, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So I went to the Credit Card Programs forum. It is really boring with just the various credit card threads to view. I suppose all the order freaks are very happy about it, though.
Old May 19, 2013, 10:50 am

Programs: Enough to Cause a Migraine
Thumbs up Glad To See The Change!

Originally Posted by MileageAddict
As listed in the description for this forum, "Discussion of the latest frequent flyer & hotel program buzz...only"

Now that there is a credit card forum, all discussion of credit card offers and programs should be posted there.

MileageAddict

MileageAddict:
I applaud whose ever decision it was to move the credit card discussions to the existing credit card forums.

Frankly, I was baffled how the discussions were not originally contained in the credit card forums.

Prior to the credit-card fueled blogs, and the rapid-fire growth of “churning” , this forum was to discuss matters of great mileage earning deals that popped up.

It was annoying to have to sift amongst the massive credit card discussions to find some “nuggets” buried amongst these discussions that should never have been in this forum in the first place.

I’m very happy to see the return of this forum to what the content once was!
Old May 19, 2013, 11:04 am

I can agree that Milesbuzz is for only "buzzworthy" items and if the buzz wears off and it becomes a BAU offer, then move it.

However, what is the the buzz about somene needing to get from X to Y using Z points? I think that most people find little if any buzz about those posts.
Old May 19, 2013, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by mia
You can make your own digest by using MyFlyerTalkand subscribing to forums or threads you wish to follow. Subscribing allows you to follow threads even as they migrate to another forum. Using MyFlyerTalk allows you to easily and quickly navigate between your subscribed forums. Click the Yellow and Red icon in the upper right corner of any FT page to get started.
^^^^^ (MyFlyerTalk is the single most useful feature on FlyerTalk. If you don't already use it, you should. HUGE time-saver!

Last edited by jackal; May 19, 2013 at 8:14 pm Reason: Clarifying meaning

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.