Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

WTH is this? An "advice" forum? Travel for free forum?

WTH is this? An "advice" forum? Travel for free forum?

Old Apr 19, 2013, 10:57 am

I'll first apologize to the OP and others for starting one of the offensive posts. I understand the complaint and I tried to demonstrate in my post that I'd done a significant amount of work on potential routes and airlines to start. I paid for an award booking service last year when I was even more of a newbie, and I'd prefer to make the booking myself now if possible. I'm going to FTU next week and there I hope to attend the Award Booking sessions so that I can do more myself. If anybody lives in Boston, I'd be happy to buy dinner or drinks in exchange for a tutorial on Expertflyer.

I'm a teacher and my gf just started a new job, so unfortunately we don't have a lot of flexibility with the dates we can travel, but I appreciate the advice I've been given on my original post.

I think the idea of subdividing the forum to move the "help" posts has some merit, but I do worry that it might not attract the same attention and the people who could help might bypass that forum. I hope there's a mutually agreeable solution.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 11:10 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA Gold, AS MVP Gold, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold, US
I guess the influx of award travel booking requests also come from every Tom, Dick, Harry getting a rewards card. Due to persistence c/c push from the bloggers, everyone who hears about "free" travel now wants to travel in first/biz class without realizing the requirements for each program.
If you look at some of the award requests, usually miles are divided into separate programs and not enough to conjure up a good reward flight (with exceptions) and when an individual cannot get a award seat, he/she starts thrashing the program for not being flexible or not releasing enough award seats.

I think individuals should have a goal before signing up for credit cards left and right. Having a bunch of miles with no immediate use in the foreseeable future is a big mistake.
My two cents...
Old Apr 19, 2013, 11:16 am

Programs: UA MPE, BA Blue, AA, IHG Plat Amb, Marriot Silver, HHonors Silver, National Exec, Avis First
Originally Posted by Travelergcp
I would. You have to give action to get it, and it's also a way to pay it forward.
^
Old Apr 19, 2013, 11:24 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
Originally Posted by mia
A few posts have been removed. Please write about the topic, not about each other or about the moderators. The thread may well be transferred to the Talkboard forum, but first let's see if there is a consensus on the problem, and kick around alternative solutions.
My 0.02 cents:

-Create a seperate sub-forum for those who want to travel for "free."
-You must be a member for one month AND have 10 posts before being allowed to post in said sub-forum.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 11:43 am

Programs: UA MPE, BA Blue, AA, IHG Plat Amb, Marriot Silver, HHonors Silver, National Exec, Avis First
Originally Posted by PainCorp
It's not just the fact that they are newbies that is bothersome (I'm still considered one by join age), it's the fact that they've become so accustomed to being lead by big red arrows, and being spoon fed instructions, that they become so lazy that they won't even look for answers before posting.

I've seen numerous threads where their answer was 2 posts above there's, and that's not an exaggeration.

I've also seen numerous threads started about some offer they got in the mail, that has been covered numerous times on every page for the last 10 pages in the thread for that particular card.

If they look and need help, that is one thing, but they aren't, and that's why it has become a problem.

The attack on mia was completely un-warranted, you are correct. But something does need to be done, which is what we are now discussing. There doesn't seem to be a clear cut answer, but if FT encourages these posts by not doing anything, it's going to become a big problem, very quickly.
^
Old Apr 19, 2013, 11:51 am

Programs: AA EXP,AS MVPG,MR Platinum,HH Gold
Agree 100%. Some of us enjoy providing routing advice/suggestions, but agree it's frustrating to see them sprinkled in unrelated places.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

...But really...there are so many people coming in expecting to be told what to apply for, and have their hand held, that it's pushing the threads for the cards we care about to the 2nd and 3rd pages, while the first page is basically the parody posts you see above. It's just getting crowded and clogged up...
This is characterization by conjecture. People are only asking questions -- you are assuming they want their hand held, or that they're lazy. They may just want something puzzling cleared up.

I have no problem with these threads being here. If I don't feel like opening one, I don't. This option is available to all, as is simply not responding to a request for information that one feels is not sufficiently worthy.

Last edited by mia; Apr 22, 2013 at 3:34 pm Reason: Remove personal characterization
Old Apr 19, 2013, 12:37 pm

re

A newbee forum with stickies on multiple FAQ's including "help me get to XXX" could be made with links to helpful threads for newbees who lack research skills....number one topic in newbee forum should be how to use search to get answers to questions that have been answered dozens of times. Tons of links to helpful research resources would give them a basic grasp of points and programs.
I get sick of reading help me threads started by people who read blogs on how to get tons of points by using their signup links to get bonuses and then need to be spoonfed how to do a booking....and when I get disgusted, and tell someone who wants to know how to get to Hawaii, to build a boat and paddle west or call a travel agent, I get reprimanded by the moderator.

Every help me thread (unless it is posted by a seasoned FT user with a truly egnimatic problem) should be answered by "read and use the search button to research your question, if you can't find the answer you are not trying hard enough. If you are too lazy to try, call a travel agent and pay them to figure it out for you!!" If enough people answer these posts this way, the poster will either research thier own answers (teach a man to fish).... or give up, and stop clogging up MileBuzz with redundant newbee requests for spoonfeeding.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 12:47 pm

Programs: The Mac Daddy of Heimlich County (and low-ball status)
just make a wiki option in each thread and i'm happy
Old Apr 19, 2013, 12:58 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by wise2u
A newbee forum with stickies on multiple FAQ's including "help me get to XXX" could be made with links to helpful threads for newbees who lack research skills....number one topic in newbee forum should be how to use search to get answers to questions that have been answered dozens of times. Tons of links to helpful research resources would give them a basic grasp of points and programs.
I get sick of reading help me threads started by people who read blogs on how to get tons of points by using their signup links to get bonuses and then need to be spoonfed how to do a booking....and when I get disgusted, and tell someone who wants to know how to get to Hawaii, to build a boat and paddle west or call a travel agent, I get reprimanded by the moderator.

Every help me thread (unless it is posted by a seasoned FT user with a truly egnimatic problem) should be answered by "read and use the search button to research your question, if you can't find the answer you are not trying hard enough. If you are too lazy to try, call a travel agent and pay them to figure it out for you!!" If enough people answer these posts this way, the poster will either research thier own answers (teach a man to fish).... or give up, and stop clogging up MileBuzz with redundant newbee requests for spoonfeeding.
Couldn't disagree more. We seem to have developed a culture here about reading and responding to threads better left ignored by many and left to a few who are willing to respond with a constructive answer. Just because a question seems stupid to one person, it isn't necessarily a stupid question. Everybody started somewhere.

It might be beneficial to create a separate forum or dedicated thread for newbies and routing questions. There might be a need for updating the FAQs or improving FT's search functions or developing a "how to" thread for general guidance.

I find it a little presumptuous, however, that FT members think that the only proper answer to these types of newbie threads is "their" answer.

As for clogging up MilesBuzz, there seem to be very few one-day Amex offers for 75K or 100K MR cards--the only types of offers recently that require quick notification and fast action that might be affected by too many topics on page one of MilesBuzz. And, I've never had any problem finding information about the Citi, Chase, US Bank, or Amex cards that have been around for awhile.

Perhaps some other folks should be polishing up their search skills. . .
Old Apr 19, 2013, 1:05 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Looking at MV blog today I was wondering why would anyone pay $111 to use their own points when there are so many great people on FT who help....well I see the other side now...
Old Apr 19, 2013, 1:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mrredskin
just make a wiki option in each thread and i'm happy
They don't even read the OP though. So many times I've seen people ask a question that is answered in or linked to in the OP, which was edited days earlier.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by PaulMSN
This is characterization by conjecture. People are only asking questions -- you are assuming they want their hand held, or that they're lazy. They may just want something puzzling cleared up.

I have no problem with these threads being here. If I don't feel like opening one, I don't. This option is available to all, as is simply not responding to a request for information that one feels is not sufficiently worthy.
I wish more here were like you! ^

Originally Posted by lwildernorva
Couldn't disagree more. We seem to have developed a culture here about reading and responding to threads better left ignored by many and left to a few who are willing to respond with a constructive answer. Just because a question seems stupid to one person, it isn't necessarily a stupid question. Everybody started somewhere.

It might be beneficial to create a separate forum or dedicated thread for newbies and routing questions. There might be a need for updating the FAQs or improving FT's search functions or developing a "how to" thread for general guidance.

I find it a little presumptuous, however, that FT members think that the only proper answer to these types of newbie threads is "their" answer.

As for clogging up MilesBuzz, there seem to be very few one-day Amex offers for 75K or 100K MR cards--the only types of offers recently that require quick notification and fast action that might be affected by too many topics on page one of MilesBuzz. And, I've never had any problem finding information about the Citi, Chase, US Bank, or Amex cards that have been around for awhile.

Perhaps some other folks should be polishing up their search skills. . .
Both of you should consider yourselves a tremendous asset to FT. THANK YOU!! ^

Read the op, and the rest of the thread.

How's that for advice? But really...there are so many people coming in expecting to be told what to apply for, and have their hand held, that it's pushing the threads for the cards we care about to the 2nd and 3rd pages, while the first page is basically the parody posts you see above. It's just getting crowded and clogged up.

The problem is, a lot of these questions can already easily be answered by the existing search system, which they aren't using. When you are asking about when points post, or reconsideration phone numbers, or something along those lines, which 90% of questions are, it's very easy to find the answer to those questions using the existing FT search system. And the other 10%? It's easily found on the blog that sent them here.
Nobody is forcing you to read or to respond to any of these threads. Try to remember that.

Originally Posted by wise2u

@:-) Simple, STOP CLICKING ON THEM! Or if you can't stop on your own, ask for help with that.

Last edited by mia; Apr 23, 2013 at 7:31 am Reason: Prune quotations. Remove inflammatory language.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 2:08 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Bender464
Nobody is forcing you to read or to respond to any of these threads. Try to remember that.

@:-) Simple, STOP CLICKING ON THEM! Or if you can't stop on your own, ask for help with that.
Then why have -any- subforums at all?

Clearly there's a need for assistance with planning award travel, and a need that isn't addressed in a forum specific to a particular airline/hotel. We already parse out questions that deal with those specific aspects of travel, so why not carry it a bit further and have a forum for people who aren't looking for help on -just- AA or -just- Hyatt?

Any rational argument to move threads looking for assistance planning the use of Skymiles to the Delta forum also holds true to people looking for more general help with an assortment of miles.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 2:20 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Stoughton
Any rational argument to move threads looking for assistance planning the use of Skymiles to the Delta forum also holds true to people looking for more general help with an assortment of miles.
The primary reason we move Delta requests to the Skymiles forum is because that's the forum where the Delta knowledge is deepest. The challenge presented by these AOR-generated mileage collections is that MilesBuzz! is the forum where there is the broadest knowledge, the members who can look at a city pair and know that one program (or alliance) is likely the best match. It's appealing to think we could create a new forum which would preserve that characteristic, but would it attract the knowledgeable posters needed to make it successful?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.