Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

WTH is this? An "advice" forum? Travel for free forum?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WTH is this? An "advice" forum? Travel for free forum?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2013, 6:57 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

A few posts have been removed. Please write about the topic, not about each other or about the moderators. The thread may well be transferred to the Talkboard forum, but first let's see if there is a consensus on the problem, and kick around alternative solutions.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 7:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
WTH is this? A "how can I travel for free" forum?
Imagine that? New users coming to FlyerTalk with questions about actually traveling, rather than wanting to talk just about the latest "churn" - what is this world coming to?
Old Apr 18, 2013, 7:45 pm
Formerly known as cagalindo

Programs: Citi AA/HH/TYP Amex SPG/HH & Chase SP/PC
All the 'buzz' is getting thrown to the 2nd 3rd 4th page with all the new threads on 'how do i book this award route'

A section for users to request help booking award tickets, or how to rack up points for certain redemptions should be a NO BRAINER
Old Apr 18, 2013, 7:56 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Gold, AS MVP Gold, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold, US
Originally Posted by Jesperss
Hey guys -

I want to take my family of five in first class to Europe this summer over the July 4th holiday. Preferably non-stop. Our schedule is also limited and we can only fly on specific days. Also we need to all be on the same flight.

What credit card can I sign up to get these tickets for free?

Also we'd need hotel nights. We're checking in at 5AM and need a 10PM checkout. In addition we require breakfast and a suite upgrade. I don't have any status with a hotel chain.

What credit card can I sign up for the free hotel?
Old Apr 18, 2013, 8:32 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Steve M
Imagine that? New users coming to FlyerTalk with questions about actually traveling, rather than wanting to talk just about the latest "churn" - what is this world coming to?
Originally Posted by Jesperss
Hey guys -

I want to take my family of five in first class to Europe this summer over the July 4th holiday. Preferably non-stop. Our schedule is also limited and we can only fly on specific days. Also we need to all be on the same flight.

What credit card can I sign up to get these tickets for free?

Also we'd need hotel nights. We're checking in at 5AM and need a 10PM checkout. In addition we require breakfast and a suite upgrade. I don't have any status with a hotel chain.

What credit card can I sign up for the free hotel?
This excellent example (spot on btw ) is not about traveling, it's more in line with taking advantage of other member's goodwill and patience. It would be one thing if someone comes on and asks a specific question, but far too often people ask about the same destination, same airlines, and follow it up with a statement of basically "do it for me because I have no clue what the hell I'm doing." That's what we need to limit in this area of FT IMO and it looks like other members agree.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 8:41 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, 1 MM
Originally Posted by PainCorp
I think you're on to something. If we were to separate MilesBuzz into award-redeeming threads and mileage-gaining threads, that might be a start, and then we can do stepping stones from there to further correct as needed.

Thoughts?
Originally Posted by caGALINDO
All the 'buzz' is getting thrown to the 2nd 3rd 4th page with all the new threads on 'how do i book this award route'

A section for users to request help booking award tickets, or how to rack up points for certain redemptions should be a NO BRAINER
I am going to ask the same question again - what problem are we trying to solve by separating fori?

What is the buzz these days? The Citi AA threat with the question when the miles post after meeting the spend being asked for about the 100th time?

If you don't like a threat, skip it.

I for one agree with one of the previous posters that there is something to be learned from almost every question asked, I do enjoy reading some of the advice given to some of the most offending newby questions.

And by the way, I think the easiest way to address some of the concerns (mine included) about repetitive questions and "laziness" would be to provide a top notch search capability.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 8:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by drminn
I am going to ask the same question again - what problem are we trying to solve by separating fori?
Read the op, and the rest of the thread.

How's that for advice? But really...there are so many people coming in expecting to be told what to apply for, and have their hand held, that it's pushing the threads for the cards we care about to the 2nd and 3rd pages, while the first page is basically the parody posts you see above. It's just getting crowded and clogged up.

Originally Posted by drminn
And by the way, I think the easiest way to address some of the concerns (mine included) about repetitive questions and "laziness" would be to provide a top notch search capability.
The problem is, a lot of these questions can already easily be answered by the existing search system, which they aren't using. When you are asking about when points post, or reconsideration phone numbers, or something along those lines, which 90% of questions are, it's very easy to find the answer to those questions using the existing FT search system. And the other 10%? It's easily found on the blog that sent them here.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 9:01 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
Many of the "requests" ignore the first rule of redeeming FF miles - that is to be flexible. If all the requests were put in a single area, the requesters would be forced to see that flexibility and long term planning are the keys to getting an award.

Unfortunately, most of the requesters will not perform a search or not do any investigation on their own.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 9:40 pm
Formerly known as cagalindo

Programs: Citi AA/HH/TYP Amex SPG/HH & Chase SP/PC
Not all .... yet
Old Apr 18, 2013, 10:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by abcx
Yes, I would visit it.
I would as well. I like the idea, and I think a post count/join date limitation is the right way to separate the groups.

Yes, mia, I understand there is a FT procedure for this sort of suggestion, but you're going to get much more useful ideas if you keep the discussion running here.

Having said that, everyone posting ideas on this should avoid needless negativity. We were all newbies at one point.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 4:51 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by StreetSmartTraveler
That's true. Maybe remove this text out of the "Welcome to MilesBuzz! Read me first!" sticky:
^ The sticky text conflicts with the MB "subtitle". Maybe there was a reason for that at one time, I don't know. But the connotation of "Miles Buzz" doesn't seem to fit requests for help, etc. at least in my mind. "Help me plan the perfect honeymoon" isn't buzzworthy to any except the OP.

The cluttering of MB with non-buzz stuff, is a pet peeve of mine. Yes, one can skip reading threads that are not of interest. But why clutter the place unnecessarily? Sometimes the requests for help/noobies threads outnumber the buzzworthy ones. Also, scrolling through on my phone it's easier to have fewer irrelevant threads.

I will point out that MilePoint has a "Newbies" main forum. Forums I belong to on other (non-FF) subject matter have newbie/help type forums as well. This isn't an unusual thing at all. Heck, the AA forum here (maybe others?) has a Newbie Lounger - Flame-free - sticky thread!

Personally I think there are many of us that can and do try and help with such questions. If anything, having a dedicated forum for such would probably result in the posts being answered by those interested in helping answer, since those folks would be consciously visiting the "Help forum".
Old Apr 19, 2013, 8:15 am

Programs: SPG GL, AA GL
I do like the idea of a separate 'award help' forum. I've been on FT for a while, but there are times I need new ideas / award routes that I'm not aware of. Currently one would have to browse / search on AA forum, then UA, then US....etc.

And a newbie help forum would be nice too. Plus, some of the stickies need to be updated / clean up.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 9:17 am

Programs: Flying and sleeping
To elaborate on my one word post -

There is certainly a market for these types of "help me!" threads. Plenty of people have more experience collecting and redeeming points than I do. And, while I may be able to find a passable redemption, I may not know if it's the most valuable redemption. That is where other members can come in handy.

However, it is a bit of a cluster and there may well be a better way to organize things. Having been a moderator on forums, it's my experience that no matter how organized subforums or stickies may be, posters will always place threads incorrectly, even with a specific home for the topic.

I'm also in agreement that it's not the FAQ sticky that is encouraging people to start redemption threads. MilesBuzz is the top-most forum and the first click for most visitors to the site. Things just end up here.

Though I happen to be a noob around these parts, I'm not a noob to forum politics and organization. There's a better way. And, while I agree with OP's premise, the approach is miles off.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 9:21 am

I love those posts, they really help me to learn the opportunities out there for me as a newbie, stuff I'm not sure about. I read every one that involves flying out of NYC to get ideas for future redemptions.

That having been said, a seperate forum/subforum for them isn't a bad idea at all.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 9:40 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by adamak
I do like the idea of a separate 'award help' forum.
I think this would be an excellent change. There's a lot of people here who are -very- good at this sort of thing and who probably love the challange of figuring out a routing or ticketing scheme. Having all the requests in 1 place would make it easier for those who can help to find those who need help and work together for an award soultion.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.