Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

WTH is this? An "advice" forum? Travel for free forum?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WTH is this? An "advice" forum? Travel for free forum?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2013, 2:44 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Mountain Trader
Definitions notwithstanding, there's little "Buzz" involved with telling people over and over how to figure out what airline flies where.
Agreed, but there's no basis to criticize those who post such questions here when the Read Me sticky invites them to do so.

Credit card signup bonuses have changed the logic. It used to be that one chose an airline (or two) and looked for opportunities to earn miles in that program, including credit cards. Now, we have a wave of members for whom the process has been reversed - collect a series of unrelated card bonuses first, learn about the airlines, hotel chains and their programs later.

If a separate forum were created, would sufficient knowledgeable members visit it to provide assistance? If not, how would the questions be answered?
Old Apr 18, 2013, 2:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Travelergcp
+1 to that. There's a subset of us who are happy to help polite newbies who gave it a shot and got stumped, but a separate forum for those requests would be nice. And the newbies won't get flamed with "Why didn't you figured it out yourself?" posts on their first visit to FT.
If they legitimately tried and got stumped they don't get "flamed." The only ones getting "flamed" are the ones with one post asking basic questions, usually in a new thread, that have been covered in depth.

Originally Posted by mia
If a separate forum were created, would sufficient knowledgeable members visit it to provide assistance? If not, how would the questions be answered?
mia brings up an excellent point. While most experienced FTers would probably avoid it, I believe the people that are already doing their research, posting in the correct places, and getting legitimately stumped would get frustrated if they were quarantined to this new forum.

I think it's a great idea, but the implementation is going to be a PITA.

Here's a suggestion:
In certain forums you need so many posts and a join date so old, like Coupon Connection, etc, do this for MilesBuzz!, and the CC forums for creating a new thread. This way, it will hopefully cause them to read, and post in the appropriate forum. While this won't help with posts in existing threads that have been covered in depth for the last 10 pages, it should help with excessing threads that are redundant.

Last edited by PainCorp; Apr 18, 2013 at 2:54 pm
Old Apr 18, 2013, 2:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia
Yes, I would visit it. I would post a link to the bloggers' award booking services. They are the guys who got all these people started on this CC churning business. They can clean up the mess. They even make money in the process.

FT is not about helping people who have never contributed anything to learn how to travel for free. That's what the blogs are for - that's how they make their money.

I never blamed the people for posting here. I asked to create another forum. Or put them all in one stickied thread so that we don't have half the forum taken up by it.

Originally Posted by mia
Credit card signup bonuses have changed the logic. It used to be that one chose an airline (or two) and looked for opportunities to earn miles in that program, including credit cards. Now, we have a wave of members for whom the process has been reversed - collect a series of unrelated card bonuses first, learn about the airlines, hotel chains and their programs later.
And how is this my problem or "Buzz about Miles" if you don't have a strategy to redeem points before signing up for a CC?

Last edited by mia; Apr 18, 2013 at 3:13 pm Reason: Combine consecutive replies
Old Apr 18, 2013, 2:58 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by abcx
FT is not about helping people who have never contributed anything to learn how to travel for free. That's what the blogs are for - that's how they make their money.

I never blamed the people for posting here. I asked to create another forum. Or put them all in one stickied thread so that we don't have half the forum taken up by it.
I agree completely about the blogger comment, this could also touch on the vote that was just completed about creating a blogger forum. Maybe all of these threads could be shuffled there, as a majority of them are sent here from blogs.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Agreed, but there's no basis to criticize those who post such questions here when the Read Me sticky invites them to do so.

I very much agree with your observation, and let me also thank you for the high quality of moderating which you provide-that too is sadly becoming a lost art.

I'm afraid my answer to your question takes the tough path. I think new FTers should be thinking about how they want to use their miles and points before or at least while they are pursuing them. A good credit card can still yield miles worth $1,000 or more if used wisely. Yet, as you point out in summary, many do not spend even an hour looking at what they are getting and what they can do with it.

I think cluttering Miles Buzz just to force everyone to read such posts seems a disservice to both the readers and FT. Putting these requests in a seperate place would, I think, eventually raise the quality of questions to meet the quality of answers provided. Put another way, if no one posts to list the airports in Croatia, eventually someone will go look it up and the level of dialogue will have been bumped up a notch.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 3:07 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by mia

I believe a significant number of people would visit the "new" forum and try to help THOSE THAT HAVE DONE SOME RESEARCH and are more than just "one and done" type people. If you look at one of the threads, the person has very few posts and specifically said "thanks for helping me get the miles now help me make the booking.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 3:09 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
I would. You have to give action to get it, and it's also a way to pay it forward.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by mia
?
That's true. Maybe remove this text out of the "Welcome to MilesBuzz! Read me first!" sticky:

Have a lot of miles and points in a bunch of programs and don’t know what to do with them all? Ask away!
Old Apr 18, 2013, 3:18 pm
Suspended

I think for this topic to be pursued further, we need a more concise idea of how we want to fix this, in order to submit it to the TalkBoard to be voted on.

I see two sides to this:

1) Move all these posts with the people that want, what I will refer to as "big red arrows," to have their hand held and point them at exactly what they need to do. We could also refer to this as "The Blogger Problem"

2) Limit new thread posting in Credit Card forums and MilesBuzz! to users with more than 30 days tenure and more than 25, 50, etc posts of value. This could be used to ensure that new users are given the time to read existing threads, and, also, comment in them. If a user is new enough, mods could be alerted to that user to check qualification of post quality.

What do you all think of these two ideas?
Old Apr 18, 2013, 3:19 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by StreetSmartTraveler
That's true. Maybe remove this text out of the "Welcome to MilesBuzz! Read me first!" sticky:
The problem is, most of these users are not reading, so what's in the sticky is rarely read by them.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 3:28 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by abcx
...how is this my problem or "Buzz about Miles" if you don't have a strategy to redeem points before signing up for a CC?
Originally Posted by Mountain Trader
I think cluttering Miles Buzz just to force everyone to read such posts seems a disservice to both the readers and FT.
I do not understand the notion that anyone is "forced" to read a thread. Why do you read these? (I mean "you" collectively, not only the two posters whom I quoted.) I find they are easy to identify from the Titles, and I try to clean up the Titles that are uselessly vague. I do take the point about clutter, but why not just skip over these?

Originally Posted by StreetSmartTraveler
Maybe remove this text out of the "Welcome to MilesBuzz! Read me first!" sticky:
First we need to have a place to send them.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 3:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia
I do not understand the notion that anyone is "forced" to read a thread. Why do you read these? (I mean "you" collectively, not only the two posters whom I quoted.) I find they are easy to identify from the Titles, and I try to clean up the Titles that are uselessly vague. I do take the point about clutter, but why not just skip over these?.
Why have sub forums? Just put everything in one forum and we'll skip over the ones we're not interested in.

Seriously, you're a mod?
Old Apr 18, 2013, 3:42 pm
Suspended

Here is my suggestion:

Based on the information in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...ree-forum.html

I propose that FT and the TalkBoard create a new policy as it pertains to the MilesBuzz! and Credit Card forums and sub-forums. My suggestion is similar to the rule for Coupon Connection, limit the ability to make new threads to users with more than ~30 days of tenure, and potentially 25-50 posts of value.

The benefits of this as I see them to the FT community:
1. Less posts like those linked in the thread above.
2. New members will be forced to read the existing threads about a topic, and post in them, before starting new threads on existing topics which are covered in depth elsewhere.

Downsides:
1. This has the potential to be a moderation challenge.
2. New posters could potentially clutter up existing forums with repeated questions, but this already happens, so it may only get worse.
3. Confirming posts of value may become an issue with so many members recently joining.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 3:47 pm

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
Originally Posted by mia
I do not understand the notion that anyone is "forced" to read a thread. Why do you read these? (I mean "you" collectively, not only the two posters whom I quoted.) I find they are easy to identify from the Titles, and I try to clean up the Titles that are uselessly vague. I do take the point about clutter, but why not just skip over these?
By that logic, I shouldn't be concerned if I see Delta topics discussed in the JetBlue forum. I should just skip them because I'm not forced to read them.

I'm in a CPAP forum. Literally. One forum, not one separate forum or any organization of threads of any kind. It's a clusterf*ck to sort through pages and pages of topics, so much so that I stopped participating.

The mods there claim that because they have a higher percentage of older users who lack technical understanding (ageist, much?) and are likely delirious because of sleep trouble (really?) that it makes more sense to leave everything in complete disarray.

Riiiiight. FT heading down this road, apparently.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I like the idea of the mods just dumping all of these threads into one "Help!" thread. The mods are generally happy to clean things up around here - they just need to agree that these all deserve consolidation.

Frankly, if done, that thread could be a pretty encyclopedic database of how to book award travel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.