Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

Motion Passed: Create a Chase Ultimate Rewards Forum

Motion Passed: Create a Chase Ultimate Rewards Forum

Old Mar 14, 2013, 1:01 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
TB motions are not polls...

Just a friendly reminder for those who are so desired to vote:

You cannot vote, unless you are one of our 9 TBers.

Only TalkBoards can cast votes on TB motions.

If you want to win TBers over and vote your way, you better elaborate why and how you want them to vote. Replies with only a "yes" or "no" don't carry too much weight, imho.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 2:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
I think it is a big enough program to warrant it's own area. I certainly use it much more than the others that already have this (MR and Diners Club, the latter is barely on my radar at this point).
Old Mar 14, 2013, 3:51 pm

Question Does this motion include all Chase cards?

(underline mine)

Originally Posted by mia
Note that the proposal is specifically for an Ultimate Rewards forum, not for a Chase forum. Chase co-branded cards (BA, UA, WN; Fairmont, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott; Amtrak) would still be primarily discussed in the sponsoring airline, hotel or rail forum, just as American Express co-branded cards are primarily discussed in the sponsor forums.
According to the wording of the global announcement our Community Director has made, it seems to be a forum for both Chase cards and UR:

Talkboard is considering whether to create a forum specific to Chase credit cards and their currency of Ultimate Rewards. Weigh in if you have an opinion.
So I went back and reread the motion, which apparently can be interpreted in either way:

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Moved by nsx and seconded by SkiAdcock:

"The TalkBoard recommends to the Community Director the creation of an Chase Ultimate Rewards forum in the Credit Card Programs/Partners category."
Perhaps TalkBoard should clarify whether this motion is meant to include all Chase cards, if so, whether modification of wording is necessary?
Old Mar 14, 2013, 4:17 pm

Yes. Please
Old Mar 14, 2013, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by lin821
(underline mine)

According to the wording of the global announcement our Community Director has made, it seems to be a forum for both Chase cards and UR:

So I went back and reread the motion, which apparently can be interpreted in either way:

Perhaps TalkBoard should clarify whether this motion is meant to include all Chase cards, if so, whether modification of wording is necessary?
SanDiego1K's announcement makes it sound like the Chase forum would be for all though SkiAddock's post makes it sound like it would just for Ultimate Rewards.

At the end of the day, cards like the MileagePlus Explorer card, the BA card, the Hyatt card, etc. - I would expect them to be discussed in the relevant forums. However, aren't there other travel related cards that aren't in Ultimate Rewards? Their Disney card comes to mind
Old Mar 14, 2013, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Some folks are confused on what is being proposed. The proposal is for a Chase UR forum (limited # of cards) not a Chase forum (lots of cards besides UR earners). This confusion may continue if a Chase UR forum is approved. Do we need more confusion?
Old Mar 14, 2013, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Yes please.

I'm always interested in ways to maximise my earning on either my Freedom or Sapphire card, and this would make a lot of sense. I feel that the Chase travel products are just as large as the Amex ones.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by philemer
Some folks are confused on what is being proposed. The proposal is for a Chase UR forum (limited # of cards) not a Chase forum (lots of cards besides UR earners). This confusion may continue if a Chase UR forum is approved. Do we need more confusion?
(bolding mine)

Seeing how the global announcement was worded, even our Community Directer was/is confused as well?!

Or did I misunderstand what Carol said, w/r/t "a forum specific to Chase credit cards and their currency of Ultimate Rewards?"
Old Mar 14, 2013, 6:40 pm

Yes please.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 7:00 pm

I "vote"/suggest YES- why should we have an AmEx section but neglect Chase UR?

Last edited by iTanNicNic; Mar 14, 2013 at 9:55 pm Reason: omitted a word
Old Mar 14, 2013, 8:39 pm

yes for Chase UR
Old Mar 14, 2013, 8:45 pm

Programs: All, but no status!
Originally Posted by kokonutz
For those asking for yes or no votes, would you mind expanding on your reasoning a bit?

As a TB member, I am on the fence.

Pros:
  • The Chase programs and cards are huge, popular and complicated
  • Earning and spending strategies are myriad
  • No one wants to be the idiot who wastes hard-earned points

Cons:
  • The program is popular today but could be a ghost town by next month
  • Some 'clever' tips and tricks talked about may cause the program to close the 'clever' approaches (of course, that talk still takes place in existing threads anyway)

Are there pros and cons I am not thinking of?
I think your list of pros is pretty good. I also think a separate forum is good because it's nice to have a place where regular people can honestly discuss all the aspects of the UR program, as opposed to on some of the other websites where there may be an ulterior motive to pushing people to apply for certain cards.

With all due respect, I really don't understand why the ghost town thing is really a problem. I think the UR program is going to be around for quite a while. If it ever becomes a ghost town, what's wrong with just letting it sit there? It's not costing anything. I don't really see how that's much of a con, even though I do agree that it's a possibility.

With regard for the concern about clever tricks being exposed, I think it's important to recognize that this is a proprietary program owned and run by Chase, the largest bank in the United States. Sharing information on FT isn't telling Chase anything they don't already know about. It would be different for a small, unsophisticated institution. And, learning about the clever tips and tricks is where FT can add value for us as members; if all someone is interested in is the basic overview of the program, they don't need FT for that.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 9:10 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by lin821
As the author, I intended this to be only for cards which earn UR points and of course for strategies of how to use UR points. Non-UR discussions would continue in the present locations.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 11:14 pm

Programs: All, but no status!
Originally Posted by nsx
As the author, I intended this to be only for cards which earn UR points and of course for strategies of how to use UR points. Non-UR discussions would continue in the present locations.
Aside from UR points, all the other Chase cards already have appropriate spots, so there's no need to pull them into an omnibus Chase forum.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 11:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by nsx
What about non-UR cards that aren't airline/hotel specific?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.