Motion Failed 23 Jan 2013 - Create an Airlines of Mainland China Forum

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Motion Failed 23 Jan 2013 - Create an Airlines of Mainland China Forum

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2013, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I believe China is the world's second largest market for commercial aviation as is poised to become the world's largest market soon enough. Why not create a separate forum for each of the big 3 Chinese carriers and then have another forum called "other airlines of the PRC"? If Agean, Alitalia, El Al, Qatar merit their own forums I don't see why CZ, CA and MU do not. Certainly more flyertalkers have flown on either of the big 3 Chinese airlines than on Agean or El Al.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 9:30 am
Suspended

Programs: Gold, plat, diamond and more
Originally Posted by AlwaysFlyStar
That is kind of a bold statement to make. PRC doesn't consider it a separate country, ROC doesn't consider itself a separate country. The UN doesn't consider it a separate country. Every country in the world acknowledges Taiwan as a part of China. (Though a few countries consider ROC to be the real China) Anyway, I think that there should be just one thread for Chinese airlines that don't have their own thread. I don't think the Taiwanese carriers need to be separated from the rest of the China thread, though I do want a China thread personally.
You are right. Im not fully into all the intricate details. But it at least seems that Taiwan for all practical matters is independant. Not that I think it matters in this context, as we dont have to vote on that.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 10:04 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by travelinmanS
I believe China is the world's second largest market for commercial aviation as is poised to become the world's largest market soon enough. Why not create a separate forum for each of the big 3 Chinese carriers and then have another forum called "other airlines of the PRC"? If Agean, Alitalia, El Al, Qatar merit their own forums I don't see why CZ, CA and MU do not. Certainly more flyertalkers have flown on either of the big 3 Chinese airlines than on Agean or El Al.
Totally second that, but unfortunately it seems to be a far cry from what the current level of metrics is. Hopefully a combined forum will get all the traffic scattered, thus spiralling discussion on these carriers, ultimately leading to separate forums for the biggest alliance carriers.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 10:22 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Dynasty Frequent Flyer (Elite Plus),Accor Platinum
I am in support of a china based airlines thread. The website needs to change with the times. More and more Chinese are gradually learning English and will use this website if it can show to be the number 1 source of information. Separation of China airlines and Air China is a must without considering political or geographic to avoid confusion which happens too often.

By the way is there going to be an actual place to vote or will the moderators just view the posts and get the general picture?
Old Jan 11, 2013, 10:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by tris06
By the way is there going to be an actual place to vote or will the moderators just view the posts and get the general picture?
TB members are the ones who actually vote.

Cheers.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 9:36 pm

Programs: A3, BA, OZ,
Originally Posted by tris06
Separation of China airlines and Air China is a must without considering political or geographic to avoid confusion which happens too often.
I actually think that if they don't have their own forums, it would be easier to have them in the same thread, so they can have their own clear stickies at the top of the page. If we have only Air China in the "Mainland China Forum" (Aka the only forum that says China) it will make the mistake so much easier to make.

"China airlines… Must be in the Forum that says China. Oh look, Air China, there it is…"
Old Jan 12, 2013, 1:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Yes! Please go for it.

I am fully supportive of A China-based airlines forum (ex-Taiwan). ^

As someone based on of Beijing at the moment, I often find myself looking for information on PRC airlines. Information such as services quality, frequent flyer programs, lounge access and other travel related information.

Having a forum that provides a platform for members to share valuable experience and tips relating to flying Chinese airlines will be a great help to many who travel to/from China and within China.

I personally would contribute whenever I can and hopefully will provide tips to those who need travel tips. Other FTers such as moondog will be a great resources for this proposed forum.

BTW, where do Air Macau, HK Airlines and HK Express fit in this mix? I know Dragon Air fits under CX, but Macau, HK Ex and HK Airlines are largely owned by PRC based airlines (i.e. HK Airlines and Express are majority owned by Hainan Airlines).
Old Jan 12, 2013, 3:17 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
BTW, where do Air Macau, HK Airlines and HK Express fit in this mix? I know Dragon Air fits under CX, but Macau, HK Ex and HK Airlines are largely owned by PRC based airlines (i.e. HK Airlines and Express are majority owned by Hainan Airlines).
Except for KA which still stays in CX forum, my suggestion is to include those few others in the proposal, and add that in forum description. I assume mods can help with this, and that it doesnt need a formal vote?

In any case my research that the traffic on those carriers is extremely limited.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 6:12 am

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
This motion is about PRC FFP and airlines, not politics...

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
im going to quote myself then shut up
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
<snip>

5295 39325 asia australia south pacific - includes china - that is a lot, especially vs some above
2799 17495 north south america
2591 15960 europe
2486 15472 middle east africa

threads posts - sorted by threads
"China Airlines" is a Taiwanese or Taiwan-based carrier.

Unlike what jiejie did, your preliminary search didn't distinguish Taiwanese carriers from PRC ones. You do realize in your rough search term "china", you have included "China Airlines" in those 5295 threads? I didn't bother to recheck your numbers, but what kind of PRC FFP/airlines topics and traffic are covered in those 5295 threads?

In case you had missed it, our China Ambassador jiejie's analyses of 2012 data provides a more in-depth insight to what kind of traffic had been about PRC-based FFPs on FT:

Originally Posted by jiejie
I did a quick pass through the Other Asian, Australian, and South Pacific FFPs subforum for 2012 and identified the threads having to do with Airlines of the PRC (excluding Taiwan, HK, Macau). Summary:

Total subforum threads in 2012: 510
Total about Airlines of China: 133 = 26% of threads

Breakdown of Main content of these 133 threads, per original poster and in decreasing order of frequency:

1) Airline fleet, specific aircraft, product and/or service: 35
2) Airline contacts, booking, reservations, online, seat selection, fares, and paid upgrades (non-FFP related): 17
3) Transiting and layovers in Chinese airports, visa (less), procedures: 12
4) Baggage policies, limits, interlining: 11
5) Frequent Flyer Programs, mileage earns, Alliance-related: 10
6) General airline quality, safety, or comparative: 10
7) New routing/service announcements: 9
8) Lounges and Clubs: 8
9) Reviews, trip reports, opinions (non-questions): 7
10) Ticket policies, card billing, irrops policies: 6
11) Cust. Svc grumbles: booking, boarding denials, delays: 5
12) Promotion or award announcements, deals wanted: 3

Obviously this doesn't address posts per thread, nor am I interested in going to that level of detail, since I think it matters less. And I don't know if 2012 is representative or not of previous years. But using the assumption that it is, it's pretty clear that FFP issues have not been much of a priority with FT members so far.

So, given overall volume and this pattern of thread questions, does it still make sense to create a new subforum? Alternatively, could answers to some of the common questions that keep popping up be handled in a Sticky at the top of the existing forum?
Anyway, I think that there should be just one thread for Chinese airlines that don't have their own thread.
I actually think that if they don't have their own forums, it would be easier to have them in the same thread, so they can have their own clear stickies at the top of the page.
I am sure you know the difference between "thread" and "forum", but I am really confused by your above sentences in bold. A thread cannot have its own sticky at the top of a page. It's possible to have a wikipost within a thread though, which is in its beta phase in some fora on FT.

If I may be clear for one more time, this TB motion does NOT include Taiwanese carriers. Unless TB would come back with another new motion, this is what 9 TBers are voting on this time:

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Moved by RichMSN and seconded by MSPEconomist:

The TalkBoard recommends to the Community Director the creation of a "Airlines of Mainland China" Forum.
I think more and focused discussion on PRC carriers and FFPs shall help TBers decide how they will cast their votes before the poll "closes on Jan 23, 13 at 11:24 pm."
Old Jan 12, 2013, 6:27 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by lin821
In case you had missed it, our China Ambassador jiejie's analyses of 2012 data provides a more in-depth insight to what kind of traffic had been about PRC-based FFPs on FT:
Well thats covering the truth. She did a "quick pass". I have provided data from a more thorough search- in case you missed it

Further the data is only from the Other carriers forum, and only 2012.

Code:
Originally Posted by jiejie  
I did a quick pass through the Other Asian, Australian, and South Pacific FFPs subforum for 2012
Originally Posted by lin821
I am sure you know the difference between "thread" and "forum", but I am really confused by your above sentences in bold. A thread cannot have its own sticky at the top of a page. It's possible to have a wikipost within a thread though, which is in its beta phase in some fora on FT.
I understood what he meant. Clearly stickies on top of the respective forums, not threads- which I agree with. Just typo; swithced threads and forums.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 6:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I personally would contribute whenever I can and hopefully will provide tips to those who need travel tips. Other FTers such as moondog will be a great resources for this proposed forum.
Many thanks for the plug, sir.

Like I've mentioned in the other thread on this topic, I'm mildly opposed to the idea, but if the motion were to pass, I'd support the new forum.

Insofar as the 两岸问题 is concerned, I'm a bit surprised that people still get so worked up over this. Nobody in these parts, so much as, mentions it anymore. My (mild) objection to the proposal at hand has nothing at all to do with that spat... I simply think we're on the (possible) verge of creating another ghost town.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 9:41 am

Programs: UA, CX, BR
As a regular user of all the relevant forums in regard to this question (Other Asian..., China..., Asia..., etc.), frequently flying around Asia and China, I'm mildly opposed to the proposal for the reasons Moondog gives. I basically think the present forums work. A couple of other points, picking up on UA Flyer's points:

...I often find myself looking for information on PRC airlines. Information such as services quality, frequent flyer programs, lounge access and other travel related information....

1. What would really be useful are stickies of general information for the major Chinese airlines. Whether in the existing forum or a new one.

2. Given the proposed forum title of "Mainland China" (to which I have no objections), HK and Macao, along with Taiwan, would stay outside. The ownership question is secondary.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 12:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K - National Executive.
Who cares??
Old Jan 12, 2013, 5:13 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by GergoryWilson
Who cares??
I^
Old Jan 12, 2013, 8:11 pm

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Thumbs up this would be very useful

As someone who took over 100 domestic flight segments in China last year, I am often looking for others' experience on China's constantly shifting domestic flight landscape. In addition to flights being added and dropped, train service is now an option sometimes and it is good share experiences.

Mainland China is the correct term to use, the same in Chinese, clear and not offensive to anyone unless they are easily offended on the Taiwan China subject.

I don't find wading through the current thread easy as I may be more time poor than others.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.