Wiki Posts
Search

Suggestion: Easy Questions Forum

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2012, 11:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, IC Ambassador, Marriott Gold
Suggestion: Easy Questions Forum

I think sometimes it's overly difficult to find what should be a simple answer. So how about a forum where you post a simple question and expect a simple answer. Tonight I was looking to see if UA sold qualification miles, and didn't see anything to lead me to believe they do, but an easy question forum would be a great place to ask. I think it might also help newbies get more engaged, because they could ask what DL or EYW mean without getting attacked and told to search the glossary.

I'll attempt to answer the questions it seems TB examples for forums.

1. Will the forum be (or is it now) beneficial to FlyerTalk?
I believe so. I think it can help newbies to learn in a more relaxed forum, and can be an easier way for people to ask questions.

2. Will the new forum benefit a relationship with FlyerTalk? E.g., does the forum provide value for FT members, such as a friendly ear highly placed in the company
I think a lot of the general type easy questions wouldn't need company involvement. A question about why a flight isn't available doesn't need a company response, but a quick KVS search could do it.

3. Is FT the best place to discuss this subject?
Sure. Think of it as FT for Dummies, Intro to FT, or for our British friends, the Prime Minister's questions.

4. Is there a passionate following? This is essential in order to provide dedicated expert helpers to get questions answered.
I think there would be. My posting numbers aren't the most prolific, but I feel like I'd spend time in the new forum trying to knock out the easy questions.

5. Is a critical mass of posts and readers anticipated or existing? We need adequate traffic to keep everyone visiting frequently. One living forum is more valuable than two mostly dead ones.
How many posts are active each day that would fall into this category? Wouldn't 100 posts a day be a low end of the expected numbers?

6. Is this the best place on FlyerTalk for this subject? This is the classification issue. The answer depends primarily on achieving and maintaining critical mass. It also depends on whether or where the discussion might (or does) occur in the absence of the forum.
I think pulling out these easy questions can lead to more in-depth discussion and a first step of knowledge.

7. For proposals to split a forum, is the split expected to improve the signal to noise ratio? Why?
N/A

Procedural Statements by the TalkBoard

8. The TalkBoard does not anticipate using automatic sunsetting of forums, preferring instead to create forums only when we they are strongly expected to succeed.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 6:08 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Since you mention the UA Forum; please know you could have posted your question in the following thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-ask-here.html

Originally Posted by Ocn Vw 1K
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about the new United Airlines – its operations or its Mileage Plus program, formed from the merger of United and Continental. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about the merged, integrated United Airlines, that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

These are the two rules for this thread:
1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread or if the question is really about United or Continental operating as a separate carrier before the airlines are fully integrated.

2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.
Also, please see: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...maximizer.html

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Dec 23, 2012 at 6:44 am
Old Dec 23, 2012, 9:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by SomeGuy
I think sometimes it's overly difficult to find what should be a simple answer. So how about a forum where you post a simple question and expect a simple answer....I think it might also help newbies get more engaged, because they could ask what DL or EYW mean without getting attacked and told to search the glossary.

I'll attempt to answer the questions it seems TB examples for forums.

1. Will the forum be (or is it now) beneficial to FlyerTalk?
I believe so. I think it can help newbies to learn in a more relaxed forum, and can be an easier way for people to ask questions.

2. Will the new forum benefit a relationship with FlyerTalk? E.g., does the forum provide value for FT members, such as a friendly ear highly placed in the company
I think a lot of the general type easy questions wouldn't need company involvement. A question about why a flight isn't available doesn't need a company response, but a quick KVS search could do it.

3. Is FT the best place to discuss this subject?
Sure. Think of it as FT for Dummies, Intro to FT, or for our British friends, the Prime Minister's questions.

4. Is there a passionate following? This is essential in order to provide dedicated expert helpers to get questions answered.
I think there would be. My posting numbers aren't the most prolific, but I feel like I'd spend time in the new forum trying to knock out the easy questions.

5. Is a critical mass of posts and readers anticipated or existing? We need adequate traffic to keep everyone visiting frequently. One living forum is more valuable than two mostly dead ones.
How many posts are active each day that would fall into this category? Wouldn't 100 posts a day be a low end of the expected numbers?

6. Is this the best place on FlyerTalk for this subject? This is the classification issue. The answer depends primarily on achieving and maintaining critical mass. It also depends on whether or where the discussion might (or does) occur in the absence of the forum.
I think pulling out these easy questions can lead to more in-depth discussion and a first step of knowledge.

7. For proposals to split a forum, is the split expected to improve the signal to noise ratio? Why?
N/A
SomeGuy, thanks for the suggestion. Something for us to consider (in the new year; most are on holiday now). Also as an fyi, IB's been working on a Wikipedia feature which is active in a few forums & I believe will be going sitewide, so that may be of help also.

Cheers.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
I have long supported the idea of a separate "newbies" forum (not necessarily titled that). This proposal goes along in the spirit of that, and for that, I definitely appreciate it. I am not sure this specific formula (limiting it to easy questions) is the correct approach, but I remain open to further discussion on this idea.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.