Proposal - Turkey sub-forum in Europe section

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2012, 11:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: Turkish Airlines Miles and Smiles
Thumbs up Proposal - Turkey sub-forum in Europe section

I propose a sub-forum in Europe section dedicated to the "Turkey"
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/europ...ng-turkey-702/
Turkey is the 6th most visited country in world. and Turkish Airlines Becomes #1 in the World, Flying to the Most Countries Worldwide, I think it deserves her own forum
Old Dec 8, 2012, 12:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
It helps TB members when considering new forums if questions below are answered.

The following are qualitative criteria that the TalkBoard believes are useful to consider when evaluating proposals to create, close, split, or move forums. Whenever a forum change is discussed on the TalkBoard Topics, the TalkBoard encourages posters to fully address these criteria in addition to any other reasons supporting or opposing the change.

1. Will the forum be (or is it now) beneficial to FlyerTalk?

2. Will the new forum benefit a relationship with FlyerTalk? E.g., does the forum provide value for FT members, such as a friendly ear highly placed in the company

3. Is FT the best place to discuss this subject?

4. Is there a passionate following? This is essential in order to provide dedicated expert helpers to get questions answered.

5. Is a critical mass of posts and readers anticipated or existing? We need adequate traffic to keep everyone visiting frequently. One living forum is more valuable than two mostly dead ones.

6. Is this the best place on FlyerTalk for this subject? This is the classification issue. The answer depends primarily on achieving and maintaining critical mass. It also depends on whether or where the discussion might (or does) occur in the absence of the forum.

7. For proposals to split a forum, is the split expected to improve the signal to noise ratio? Why?

Cheers.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 10:36 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I love Turkey and enjoyed my menemen last weekend for breakfast , but I wonder what the relationship is between the OP, his FB page (http://www.facebook.com/SummerInTurkey/info) and http://www.goturkey.com, "Turkey's official tourism portal". I opine, if I am not overstepping my bounds as Forum Moderator and as a member, TalkBoard would probably like some transparency prior to committing themselves, even with greater development of the rationale for such a Forum if it comes from a travel provider or publicist, as worthy an idea as it might be.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by JDiver
I love Turkey and enjoyed my menemen last weekend for breakfast , but I wonder what the relationship is between the OP, his FB page (http://www.facebook.com/SummerInTurkey/info) and http://www.goturkey.com, "Turkey's official tourism portal". I opine, if I am not overstepping my bounds as Forum Moderator and as a member, TalkBoard would probably like some transparency prior to committing themselves, even with greater development of the rationale for such a Forum if it comes from a travel provider or publicist, as worthy an idea as it might be.
Thank you for this research.

To the OP: on FlyerTalk, you will stand a far greater chance of increasing tourism to your country if you persuade airlines to file cheap (mileage run-worthy) fares to IST combined with a minimum stay of at least 2-3 days (to force them to get out of the airport and spend a few lira) than you ever will by persuading the TalkBoard to form a Turkey forum. FlyerTalkers don't pick places to go because a forum exists or even (in many cases) because a place is interesting to visit; they fly because the fares to earn miles are attractive.

Notwithstanding all of the above, I am neither opposed nor support a Turkey forum at this time and would gladly hear arguments in favor of either position. That said, I love me a good döner kebabı (which is sadly too hard to find here in the U.S.).
Old Dec 10, 2012, 9:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JDiver
Hi Jdriver, Menemen is my favourite breakfast for sundays as most of Turks
sorry maybe i could not understand you very well because of my english ability. I am businessman in an engineering company, i am not working at travel industry. the reason behind my suggestion : I just saw a Peru forum and IMHO Turkey is much more touristic as well as business destinations than Peru thats why i make a suggestion. I did not know its procedures anyway it is just suggestion and i really believe it will helps this forum to better and attracts more people from Turkey. I will provide more information to support my suggestion soon and after then you can decide if it worths to create a forum or not.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 9:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
It helps TB members when considering new forums if questions below are answered.

The following are qualitative criteria that the TalkBoard believes are useful to consider when evaluating proposals to create, close, split, or move forums. Whenever a forum change is discussed on the TalkBoard Topics, the TalkBoard encourages posters to fully address these criteria in addition to any other reasons supporting or opposing the change.

1. Will the forum be (or is it now) beneficial to FlyerTalk?

2. Will the new forum benefit a relationship with FlyerTalk? E.g., does the forum provide value for FT members, such as a friendly ear highly placed in the company

3. Is FT the best place to discuss this subject?

4. Is there a passionate following? This is essential in order to provide dedicated expert helpers to get questions answered.

5. Is a critical mass of posts and readers anticipated or existing? We need adequate traffic to keep everyone visiting frequently. One living forum is more valuable than two mostly dead ones.

6. Is this the best place on FlyerTalk for this subject? This is the classification issue. The answer depends primarily on achieving and maintaining critical mass. It also depends on whether or where the discussion might (or does) occur in the absence of the forum.

7. For proposals to split a forum, is the split expected to improve the signal to noise ratio? Why?

Cheers.
thanks woow, it seems so diffucult to create a forum anyway i will give more information soon to support my idea to open dedicated forum for Turkey.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 5:18 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
I have no idea about fulfilling the criteria but this would get my vote any time given the popularity of that country and the business opportunities there.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 12:36 pm

Programs: AA ExP
Originally Posted by jackal
To the OP: on FlyerTalk, you will stand a far greater chance of increasing tourism to your country if you persuade airlines to file cheap (mileage run-worthy) fares to IST combined with a minimum stay of at least 2-3 days (to force them to get out of the airport and spend a few lira) than you ever will by persuading the TalkBoard to form a Turkey forum. FlyerTalkers don't pick places to go because a forum exists or even (in many cases) because a place is interesting to visit; they fly because the fares to earn miles are attractive.
Well! Apparently the OP has taken this advice to heart! I've never seen such a rash of IST MR fares. (But then again, I've not been on the scene all that long either.)
Old Feb 4, 2013, 11:02 am

Programs: Skyteam
IST subforum would be nice.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 11:14 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

I'm a bit disappointed there's no separate Turkey forum, even though the majority of the questions regarding it on FT revolve around its eponymous airline (and UA's G fare class).

TK's increasingly large number of destinations as well as its business and leisure appeal to the world (as opposed to just the "West") make the creation of a Turkey sub-forum seem to be a good decision. In fact, before noticing this curiously motivated thread, I was about to post the same topic.
Old Mar 2, 2013, 6:36 pm

Programs: UA/AA
Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
I'm a bit disappointed there's no separate Turkey forum, even though the majority of the questions regarding it on FT revolve around its eponymous airline (and UA's G fare class).

TK's increasingly large number of destinations as well as its business and leisure appeal to the world (as opposed to just the "West") make the creation of a Turkey sub-forum seem to be a good decision. In fact, before noticing this curiously motivated thread, I was about to post the same topic.
Agreed.

On a related topic, why is Cyprus listed in the Middle East forum?

It’s a member of the EU, uses the Euro, and every airline frequent flyer program categorizes Cyprus as a “European” destination.
Old Mar 9, 2013, 12:12 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
One question that might be useful to consider is whether a Turkey forum would fit in the Europe or Asia sections - by far, most of Turkey is geographically in Asia, with a tiny bit in Europe from Istanbul to the shared borders with Greece and Bulgaria.

Old Mar 10, 2013, 4:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
True, but for some purposes, Turkey is closer to Europe. For example, Turkey is trying to join the EU.

For the traveler, Turkey is somewhat unique. AFAIK it's considered to be Europe by FF program rules and it doesn't require advanced visas for many nations, including USA, which also is closer to Europe than its "Asian" neighbors.

Maybe Turkey belongs where most people would first look for it or where it's always been located on FT, but I'm open to being convinced.
Old May 12, 2013, 11:48 pm

Programs: Skyteam
Mega sales to Turkey has ceased for now. Interest may pickup once it's on sale again. I do look forward to my next Istanbul run.
Old May 27, 2013, 9:39 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Miles & Smiles (TK0) and others
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
True, but for some purposes, Turkey is closer to Europe. For example, Turkey is trying to join the EU.

For the traveler, Turkey is somewhat unique. AFAIK it's considered to be Europe by FF program rules and it doesn't require advanced visas for many nations, including USA, which also is closer to Europe than its "Asian" neighbors.

Maybe Turkey belongs where most people would first look for it or where it's always been located on FT, but I'm open to being convinced.
Turkey is marginally in Europe; most of the country is in Asia. I have seen it classified as part of the middle east. I think Turkey deserves its own forum, so I agree with the point of this thread.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.