Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2012 election results for 2013 Talkboard

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2012, 6:46 am

Programs: Too many
Originally Posted by Dovster
When I first ran for TB there was a rule that said that at least one member had to be from outside the US/Canada.

The rule was not really necessary as there was already one such member on the board and Attorney28 and I were both elected, making non-North Americans 33% of TB, which actually resulted in Americans being under-represented in proportion to their membership on FT.

I thought the rule was undemocratic and unfair (even though I could be the beneficiary of it when I sought to run again). It seemed to me rather silly that you could have a result, when there are four openings on TB, like the following:

Philadelphia Joe: 1000 votes
New York Mary: 900 votes
Baltimore Melvin: 859 votes
Dallas Jim: 790 votes
Tel Aviv Yossi: 12 votes

Winners? Philadelphia Joe, New York Mary, Baltimore Melvin, Tel Aviv Yossi.

When I got onto TB I made a motion to abolish this rule. 5 members voted in favor, 3 against, 1 abstained. In those days, 6 "aye" votes were required for a motion to pass, so technically this one was defeated. Randy, however, saw that this was a fairer way to handle elections and put the rule into effect himself.
Interesting insight.
I would be curious to know the demographics of what FT is made up of these days.
I still some day would love to see perhaps the following

3 USA members
2 Europe
1 Middle East
1 Asia
1 Africa
1 Australia/Pacific

or something similar
Old Nov 29, 2012, 6:56 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
@Dov: trying to think of a name for attorney..., ah football something, but never mind...

@jinxy: sounds like the complex way the non-permanent members of the security council are chosen
Old Nov 29, 2012, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Jinxy
Interesting insight.
I would be curious to know the demographics of what FT is made up of these days.

3 USA members
2 Europe
1 Middle East
1 Asia
1 Africa
1 Australia/Pacific

or something similar
Again, if those people are capable of winning election then they deserve a slot on TB. If they aren't, they don't.

Of course Carol could put this kind of system into place herself, but I wouldn't vote for a quota system. I agree with Dov -- it's simply not democratic, IMO.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 7:07 am

Programs: Too many
Originally Posted by RichMSN
Again, if those people are capable of winning election then they deserve a slot on TB. If they aren't, they don't.

Of course Carol could put this kind of system into place herself, but I wouldn't vote for a quota system. I agree with Dov -- it's simply not democratic, IMO.
Of course you would say that RichMSN you are based in the US.
Perhaps similar feeling would be had if an Australian based FF forum did something similar, however as FT talks up being a global community..how about reflecting it within the talk board. And it has nothing to do with votes or winning an election.
The majority of people that vote (and it was a tiny number this year) will vote for US residents, especially if they know nothing about the system or what goes on (or even read the threads themselves) Some may just pick a random name.

However if it was truly opened up to reflect the entire world demographic, then I think a lot more people would vote.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 7:57 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Now that I am back from the Caribbean and South America, I'd like to thank Spiff and bhatnasx for their time and effort, and to congratulate the newly elected TalkBoard members (and thank all who ran as part of their concern for the FT community).
Old Nov 29, 2012, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Perhaps similar feeling would be had if an Australian based FF forum did something similar, however as FT talks up being a global community..how about reflecting it within the talk board. And it has nothing to do with votes or winning an election.
The majority of people that vote (and it was a tiny number this year) will vote for US residents, especially if they know nothing about the system or what goes on (or even read the threads themselves) Some may just pick a random name.

However if it was truly opened up to reflect the entire world demographic, then I think a lot more people would vote.
This makes no sense to me. It *is* open to the entire world demographic, as you put it. Any FT member can run and win a spot on the TB. We've had members of the TB from Australia and from Europe.

And I don't even look at geography before I vote. I don't ignore those from outside the US and I don't vote for someone because they are from the US, either.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 8:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...

I understand your concerns that there is a lack of international representation on TalkBoard, and can see why you might say that. However, everyone is allowed to vote, and everyone can run for a position on TalkBoard.

I think that perhaps the greater issue is how to include more people who want to give back to the FT community, rather than only having 9 TalkBoard positions that will open over a 2 year cycle. Yes, those people can volunteer to serve as moderators, but may or may not ever be accepted as one, since there's no stated policy for moderator terms/openings.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 10:53 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Interesting insight.

3 USA members
2 Europe
1 Middle East
1 Asia
1 Africa
1 Australia/Pacific

or something similar
This seems to exclude Canada and all of Latin America.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 11:21 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium

I think you do a disservice to FTers that vote (which includes int'l FTers voting) to imply that they'll vote only for US-based FTers. One could turn it around & say that int'l FTers would vote for only int'l FTers, and I don't think that's the case either.

Approximately 40% of the candidates were int'l-based, which I think the Community Director said was reflective of FT membership.

Speaking for myself, I didn't pay attention to where someone was based when I voted. I read their platform/candidate statements & I read their answers (for those who answered) in the Q&A. Those were more important to me in getting a grasp on the candidates & how I think they'd be as TB members than their location.

Also, in 2012 there were 5 location and/or airline forums created by TB. All 5 were international, not US-based, forums. In 2011, there were 6 location and/or airline/car rental forums created. 5 of 6 were international, not US-based, forums.

I don't think having US-based TB members has hindered the int'l FT community.

Cheers.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 11:26 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Exiled in Express
I actually missed the voting window this year, perhaps the link to voting can be a little more obtrusive/in your face next year?
There was a site-wide announcement for the entire voting period that had a link to voting. During the last few days the site-wide announcement did a count-down until the voting period ended w/ a link to voting. It was mentioned in the Talkmail newsletter with a link to voting.

If you've got suggestions beyond that to make it more 'in your face', I know the CommunityDirector would be glad to hear them.

Cheers.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 12:35 pm

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by oliver2002
@Dov: trying to think of a name for attorney..., ah football something, but never mind....
Football Hooligan?
Old Dec 2, 2012, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
I would have voted for the best candidates, no matter where they live if:

I had power during Hurricane Sandy.
I wasn't on vacation in LIM and EZE for 2 weeks.

4 weeks was a long time to be away from Flyertalk. I was almost cured.

dh
Old Dec 3, 2012, 12:29 am

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
Originally Posted by Dovster
Football Hooligan?
Forum Hooligan
Old Dec 4, 2012, 4:38 pm

In this past election, I voted for 2 Americans and 2 non-Americans. One of the non-Americans I voted for I chose due to their answers in the Q&A forum. In past elections, I've voted for non-Americans due to being familiar with their posts in other boards around the site. I see a number of Australians, for example, posting in the UA forum.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.