Search

Aeroflot +++ forum

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2012, 11:35 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Gold, plat, diamond and more
Aeroflot +++ forum

In my continued quest to improve FT I start this thread with a new forum proposal^

An Aeroflot (SU) forum has been suggested and debated before;

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkb...lot-forum.html

So why start a new thread?
- That thread is years old, and lots have happened with the program and airline since.
- We have a new TB, and what seems to be a more liberal acceptance of new forums.
- SUs size and importance justifies a new debate.
- Last time (quite recently actually) I revitalized a new forum thread I was bashed by OP/an evangelist for bumping an old thread (at times a TOS violation). That was EY, but my bump in any case led to its approval, and the forums seems rather succesful.
- And the fact that this proposal is slightly different- using the examples of India and Hawaii grouping a country/regions (smaller than the current continent groups).

I suggest a new forum in order of preference for 1) Airlines of Russia and former CIS, 2) Airlines of Russia or 3) Aeroflot.

Background:
I will mainly focus on SU, but there are numerous carriers in the region. S7 being the main competitour.
It was announced on 26 May 2009, that S7 Airlines would be joining the Oneworld alliance in 2010, sponsored by British Airways. S7 became a member of Oneworld on 15 November 2010, as the first Russian airline to join Oneworld. S7 Airlines has been Russia's fastest-growing airline and recently passed Aeroflot as Russia's largest domestic airline.

Aeroflot is the flag carrier and largest airline of the Russian Federation, based on passengers carried per year. Aeroflot operates domestic and international passenger services covering a network of 97 cities in 48 countries, mainly from its hub at Sheremetyevo International Airport.

Aeroflot has embarked on a fleet modernisation program, extensive route restructuring, and an image overhaul. The airline joined SkyTeam in April 2006, becoming the 10th member of the alliance

SU has their Aeroflot Bonus FFP.

As has been requested I use the TB formula;

(How the questions were answered last time http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/14279057-post48.html)

1. Will the forum be (or is it now) beneficial to FlyerTalk?

Absolutely. Aeroflot is a huge company in a major alliance, in a huge market. Further gathering Russian carriers in one forum, would help FTers with all travel related questions on the worlds largest country. Especially SU and S7 FFP should be of great interest to many on FT.

2. Will the new forum benefit a relationship with FlyerTalk? E.g., does the forum provide value for FT members, such as a friendly ear highly placed in the company

Clearly FFPs with easily accessible information will benefit from such a relation. Whether we can get lurkers is hard to say at such an early stage. This question however doesnt seem to be that important- for separating new forum candidates.

3. Is FT the best place to discuss this subject?

I take it FT is the best place to discuss any FFP? At least for english speakers.

4. Is there a passionate following? This is essential in order to provide dedicated expert helpers to get questions answered.

I would say there are passionate followers at least for SU. No metrics requirements are stated, and also hard for me as a general member to provide. But I think this forum is a very typical build it and they will come candidate- in lack of other venues- and with the huge potential.

5. Is a critical mass of posts and readers anticipated or existing? We need adequate traffic to keep everyone visiting frequently. One living forum is more valuable than two mostly dead ones.

See 4. And the idea to include more carriers.

6. Is this the best place on FlyerTalk for this subject? This is the classification issue. The answer depends primarily on achieving and maintaining critical mass. It also depends on whether or where the discussion might (or does) occur in the absence of the forum.

Yes, and I think this makes pefectly sense, as questions on Russian carriers are scattered all over. Other European carriers, OW, *A, within certain OW/*A carriers, and even geographical forums.

7. For proposals to split a forum, is the split expected to improve the signal to noise ratio? Why?"

N/A

Happy debating, motioning and voting
Old Jan 25, 2012, 12:18 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Seems like a good idea to me.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kokonutz
Seems like a good idea to me.
Which idea?

3 are presented.

In 2011, there were about 50 or so threads with the name "Aeroflot" in the title. Out of those 50 or so threads, about 37 of them could feasibly belong in it's own Aeroflot forum - the rest were properly placed in Coupon Connection, Mileage Run, Trip Reports, and Delta Skymiles (questions about using DL miles for Aeroflot).

37 threads in 1 year is pretty dismal.

I don't personally have the "If you build it, they will come" philosophy that others have - I have the "Yep, I see the demand for it, it's there, let's build it" philosophy...

So, I just don't see it at this time...that's not to say that it won't ever get there, but for now, I just don't see Aeroflot with its own forum.

For an "Airlines of Russia/Former CIS" - it think that's covered in the "Other European Frequent Flyer Programs" (and yes, I realize that Russia is in Europe & Asia, but FTers seem to predominatly post in the Other European FFP forum, not the Other Asian FFP forum).
Old Jan 26, 2012, 12:44 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
I think an "Airlines of Russia" forum would be more appropriate - the demand for a forum for Aeroflot, S7, and Transaero put together would probably make the forum more viable than a standalone Aeroflot forum.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 3:49 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by travelkid
I suggest a new forum in order of preference for 1) Airlines of Russia and former CIS, 2) Airlines of Russia or 3) Aeroflot.
To make it clear, "Airlines of Russia and former CIS" is the main proposal.

Originally Posted by bhatnasx
For an "Airlines of Russia/Former CIS" - it think that's covered in the "Other European Frequent Flyer Programs" (and yes, I realize that Russia is in Europe & Asia, but FTers seem to predominatly post in the Other European FFP forum, not the Other Asian FFP forum).
S7 is based in the Asian part. Which in itself is a solid argument for merging into one forum, instead of remaining confusion.

Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
I think an "Airlines of Russia" forum would be more appropriate - the demand for a forum for Aeroflot, S7, and Transaero put together would probably make the forum more viable than a standalone Aeroflot forum.
^ yep, thats the idea.

If I find time, and find out how I might dig up some numbers. Hopefully others can chip in. But to opposer of the forum, please let me know excaclty what statistics you want?
Old Jan 26, 2012, 4:51 am
Suspended
Original Poster

In 2011, there were about 50 or so threads with the name "Aeroflot" in the title. Out of those 50 or so threads, about 37 of them could feasibly belong in it's own Aeroflot forum - the rest were properly placed in Coupon Connection, Mileage Run, Trip Reports, and Delta Skymiles (questions about using DL miles for Aeroflot).

37 threads in 1 year is pretty dismal.
Instead of morning coffee I did a quick search. Which clearly reveals these numbers are misleading- based on my main proposal.

Some of the threads you mention do indeed belong in other forums, but Im pretty sure MR deals and TRs would also gain traction in SU+ forum.

In any case I also made the same search for "SU", and that added another 25 hits for 2011. 2011 searches for S7 or Siberia(n airlines) added another 25+, and Transaero or UN another 10-15.

We are easily talking 100+ threads for these 3 airlines alone. And then we add the remaining smaller airlines. When we include threads from the last few years this forum will be easily 200-300 just off from start if not more.

I also took a closer look on what forums Aeroflot threads are put in, about 15 different- even deducting CC, TR, TB etc you are still at roughly 10 forums with scattered info. Do the same for the other searches like "SU", "S7" etc, and you will find the number of forums for this scattered info increasing further and becoming quite high.

This should all be in one forum^

We are talking user friendliness here, and the ability to attract more users.

Last edited by travelkid; Jan 26, 2012 at 5:03 am
Old Jan 26, 2012, 6:28 am
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
We are easily talking 100+ threads for these 3 airlines alone. And then we add the remaining smaller airlines. When we include threads from the last few years this forum will be easily 200-300 just off from start if not more.

I also took a closer look on what forums Aeroflot threads are put in, about 15 different- even deducting CC, TR, TB etc you are still at roughly 10 forums with scattered info. Do the same for the other searches like "SU", "S7" etc, and you will find the number of forums for this scattered info increasing further and becoming quite high.

I agree, and throw in the ones with the two Ukrainian airlines (and even the one Belorussian!), and you are talking about some respectable numbers. Therefore I support "Airlines of Russia and CIS". (Note that CIS still exists, so "Airlines of Russia and former CIS" is not really realistic. Saying "Airlines of Russia and former Soviet Union" could extend it to the Baltic countries, and those are now mainly, and happily, in the SAS and Other European forums.)
Old Jan 26, 2012, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Instead of morning coffee I did a quick search. Which clearly reveals these numbers are misleading- based on my main proposal.

Some of the threads you mention do indeed belong in other forums, but Im pretty sure MR deals and TRs would also gain traction in SU+ forum.

In any case I also made the same search for "SU", and that added another 25 hits for 2011. 2011 searches for S7 or Siberia(n airlines) added another 25+, and Transaero or UN another 10-15.

Fair enough - but I was just commenting on "Aeroflot" in the thread titles for an Aeroflot-specific forum.

For a general "Airlines of Russia/CIS" forum, there may be more demand - which, if this thread flushes out & provest that demand, I'd be happy to support. (and FWIW, starting this afternoon, I'll have very limited FT access til Monday, so if I don't respond over the weekend, that's why).
Old Jan 26, 2012, 7:28 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SPBanker
I agree, and throw in the ones with the two Ukrainian airlines (and even the one Belorussian!), and you are talking about some respectable numbers. Therefore I support "Airlines of Russia and CIS". (Note that CIS still exists, so "Airlines of Russia and former CIS" is not really realistic. Saying "Airlines of Russia and former Soviet Union" could extend it to the Baltic countries, and those are now mainly, and happily, in the SAS and Other European forums.)
My main proposal certainly needs input for clarity of wording^

Idea is former Soviet Union. Baltic carriers possibly being excluded. I see them best fit included, but open to ideas.

AirBaltic (BT) previously had strong links with SAS, which owned 47.2% of the airline until January 2009. It operates frequent flights to SAS hubs in Copenhagen, Oslo and Stockholm. The airline formerly used the SAS EuroBonus frequent flyer programme, but now has its own: BalticMiles. Some products and services are still shared with SAS, including coordinated timetabling and shared airport lounges. AirBaltic is not a member of any airline alliance.

With BT posts divided between OEFFP and SK it looks better to gather the knowledge in a proper place, a new Aeroflot++ forum.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 7:57 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Which idea?

3 are presented.
I took the suggestion to be for an Airlines of Russia forum.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 2:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Me too.

Cheers.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 11:15 pm

I agree that there is a definite need for an Airlines of the FSU forum. Most of the people on here commenting on Russia also have quite a bit of experience in the other countries of the region and lots of other airlines (Air Moldova, Aerosvit, Xena, AZAL, Air Astana, Vladivostokavia) would be more logically located in that space than in either Europe or Asia.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 7:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I've brought this up for discussion in the private TB forum.

Cheers.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I agree with this.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 4:33 am

Programs: KLM Flying Dutchman forever, bmi Diamond Club (is there a theme here?), LH, BA, EK, DL nobody
I think Airlines of Russia just sounds better. But all those little CIS carriers do need a place somewhere. Where do you look for info on, say, Armavia (as long as it's stil flying)? In Other European FFs? Other Asian FFs?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.