Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Motion Passed: Create a Korea Forum

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2012, 8:58 am

Programs: Skyteam
Originally Posted by lin821
Show me "the real FT money", and please don't recite the GDP or any other international trade numbers (again). Who are your Korea discussion crowd in Asia Forum and where have they been on FT? Even with my daily visit to Asia Forum, I just fail to miss most of them there. Thank you.
Bottom line is, FT as a for-profit-company to see dividends on the investment it made on this website. If trade and travel volumes don't count for anything in this day and age of global economy, I don't know what does. You have continuously disrespected the community of people supporting Korea Forum by denouncing them and belittling their efforts. Look again in all the subjects regarding Korea, do you really only see 3 to 5 people contributing? I've read your negative attacks on most of the proposed forums raised by respective users in FT. Your negativity shows through all of your posts in this website, it has been a continuous pattern. If you want to see change, stop disrespecting other's efforts, run for TB.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 9:45 am

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Originally Posted by tcook052
The Japan forum flourishes thanks to the massively helpful input of many locals and those FTers who visit frequently and enjoy discussing a wide variety of topics but it didn't get that way overnight and I am confident a Korean forum would also build a faithful following and be equally as "interesting" an FT forum to visit.
(bolding mine)

Exactly! Neither of the Asian countries that has a standalone forum on FT is any overnight wonder. All of them had used years to establish and enrish themselves.

From my personal observation, over the last 6 years, the number of contributing FTers and types of threads on Korea have been about at the same level or frequency in Asia Forum. Korea hasn't even got more "exposure" in destination forum since September 2009 when OP first introduced his Korea Forum proposal. However, tcook52, you did start participating in Korea discussion since 2010 and you probably is the only new face that I've seen in said discussion. I exclude those one-post and/or one thread wonders due to the (statistical) outliner effect.

You have your crystal ball and I have mine. Our prediction, if there would be a Korea Forum, seems to go a very different way.

Originally Posted by skchin
Bottom line is, FT as a for-profit-company to see dividends on the investment it made on this website. If trade and travel volumes don't count for anything in this day and age of global economy, I don't know what does.
In other words, you don't have the number in FT context I was asking. Thank you for your answer.

You have continuously disrespected the community of people supporting Korea Forum by denouncing them and belittling their efforts. Look again in all the subjects regarding Korea, do you really only see 3 to 5 people contributing? I've read your negative attacks on most of the proposed forums raised by respective users in FT. Your negativity shows through all of your posts in this website, it has been a continuous pattern. If you want to see change, stop disrespecting other's efforts, run for TB.
One doesn't disrespect the other person just because each has their own and different opinions. Please don't apply another faulty logic on my matter-of-fact arguments. If you have numbers or data to prove me wrong, please say so. I am more than happy to stand corrected.

Last I check, TalkBoard welcome feedback from all FTers. A FTer doesn't have to be a TBer to participate in our TB Topics Forum.

Whether all my posts on FT is negativity, I believe other FTers can do their own search and dig into my posting history, then decide for themselves if they would agree with you. If all I ever offered on FT was nothing but negativity, I don't know where and how I got to befriend as many FTer as I have. Thank you, FT!

Look again in all the subjects regarding Korea, do you really only see 3 to 5 people contributing?
You twist my words in so many wrong ways and also miss the key words, "consistently participating and contributing", in my million dollar question. I respect every FTer who takes time participating on and contributing to FT, no matter how small or trivial the topic may be.

Allow me to quote my own big question with highlight:
Other than you, the OP, how many other FTers have been consistently participating and contributing to Korea discussion threads in Asia Forum?
As to why I have this specific question, here's one of the criteria for TB to consider a new forum:

4. Is there a passionate following? This is essential in order to provide dedicated expert helpers to get questions answered.
(bolding mine)

Just so you know I am not trying to be difficult. I am just plain rational and logic and trying to get some answers for our TBers. Since I haven't seen any new "data" from the pro camp and I pretty much already speak up all my mind on this topic, I'll excuse myself from this "playground" so other FTers can have their saying before this motion concludes.

Last edited by lin821; Aug 8, 2012 at 12:11 pm Reason: adding clarification & fixing a wrong reference link
Old Aug 8, 2012, 10:08 am
In Memoriam

Spain/Portugal/Gilbraltar Forum has the same concept. I'm sure Spanish, Portugese, and several French speaking separists could say the same thing in the Iberian peninsula.

It isn't the most politically correct way, however it's the closest thing without creating a subforum for N. Korea.
Get back to us after there is a forum for North Korean Airlines like there is Korean Airlines.

this is a political football that has no business in a travel BB.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 11:59 am
Suspended

Programs: Gold, plat, diamond and more
Originally Posted by underpressure
Get back to us after there is a forum for North Korean Airlines like there is Korean Airlines.

this is a political football that has no business in a travel BB.
Reminds me of the Baltic issues on my SU+ proposal. Hopefully these political implications/hurdles wont stop any good proposal on a travel BB.

Does anyone have total numbers on new forums like pre startup, and perhaps at T+ 1/6/12 months etc. Do we have proper empirical evidence that forum creation alone will increase volume. Present volume on Korea seems to be low to me.

And I would use different standards on forums outside FTs core values.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 4:26 pm

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
As someone with a business interest in Korea, and who finds himself traveling there more frequently each year, I would support this.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 4:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Create a Korea forum will pass...

In accordance with the recently changed guidelines that means we'll announce if a motion has passed or failed once enough yes or no votes have been recorded by TB members, this is the public notice that this motion will pass as it has secured 6 yes votes.

Please note that not all TB members have voted yet, and so a final announcement with who voted yes/no will not be posted until all 9 have voted or the voting period ends.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 4:52 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
As I posted in the other thread:
Originally Posted by nsx
I did a search for just Korea in the Asia forum and found 198 posts in the past year. That's not a lot but it's enough in my opinion, given that Korea is sufficiently different from other parts of Asia.
After reading all the comments in both threads, I have voted in favor of the new forum proposal.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 4:57 pm

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
In accordance with the recently changed guidelines that means we'll announce if a motion has passed or failed once enough yes or no votes have been recorded by TB members, this is the public notice that this motion will pass as it has secured 6 yes votes.
Excellent news and thanks for sharing it Sharon. ^
Old Aug 8, 2012, 5:36 pm

searching "korea" in the japan forum turned up 144 threads, three of which had korea in the title. most appear to relate to travel across the east sea. i did not search for names of korean cities/do. a similar search in the china forum turned up 127 threads. for comparison, there are 323 threads mentioning "korea" in the asia forum. based on reading the titles, i was able to find 2-3 threads in the korean air forum that related to korea generally (not counting requests for a korean forum, or the unfortunate debate over korean FAs). i don't read the asiana forum often, but it seems to have frequent (every 1-2 months) threads on navigating korean airports and customs.

i also searched, but was not able to find, the handful of threads i have read about trips to north korea. i had assumed they would be in the china forum but could not find them.

i can't help but think that part of the reason for the perceived absence of many korea-specific threads is the feeling that there isn't a specific place for them. i, for one, would read a korea-specific forum every day, and contribute as much as i can.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
I support this. South Korea ranks 15th in GDP among the world nations- this is a very significant country for air travel.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 6:22 am

Programs: Skyteam
Thank you all for the support! ^
I'd also like to thank the TB for seeing the value of Korea Forum and the benefit it'll have to the FT community.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 9:25 am

Programs: OZ Diamond
FT has grown and changed over the years. FTers' demand is what maintains existing fora, and FT traffic justifies creation of new ones. If you failed to notice, koko hasn't been successful in selling a Men's Forum on FT.

As to why and how I participate in Asia Forum is OT for the motion at hand. Simply put, I consider my posts in Asia Forum a form of giving back to FT.

FWIW, quite a few business travelers came to FT and stay comfortably in the airline fora of their preference. They have close to zero desire to engage in discussion over destination fora. Speaking from my personal experience, I know quite a few FTers who are very knowledgeable about my home country but hardly ever post in Asia Forum about it, let alone answering (destination) questions. Yet, you'll find their posts in airline fora easily.

(underline mine)

Rather than "visit FT", don't you mean "to visit South Korea?"

From the same Wikipedia reference, Malaysia outranks South Korea with 24.7 million international tourist arrivals in 2011. I don't see Malaysia discussion threads outnumber Korea ones in Asia Forum though.

I am also not sure how many of those 9 million South Korea tourists did know about FT, let alone visiting FT. Those numbers might be one indicator of business and leisure travelers to visit South Korea. Whether it can be translated directly into FT traffic, that's the question!

My question remains: "Have things changed significantly on FT w/r/t destination Korea since 2009?"
Out of 24.7 million visitors to Malaysia, I wouldn't be surprised the number of Singaporean crossing the border annually may take up fair bit of %age, most of them knows the country like theirs.

I am not sure how many of those 24.7 milion tourists did know about FT, let alone visiting FT. Whether it can be translated directly into FT traffic, that is the question!
Old Aug 9, 2012, 12:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
On August 9, 2012, Talkboard passed 8-1:

"Talkboard recommends the creation of a Korea forum."

Voting Yes: bhatnasx, Cholula, goalie, jackal, kokonutz, nsx, RichMSN, SkiAdcock
Voting No: Spiff
Old Aug 9, 2012, 1:38 pm
Community Director Emerita

Enjoy.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/korea-714/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.