Wiki Posts
Search

an OMNI/Sports forum?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2012, 2:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by kipper
I do have to ask why the OMNI/Games forum wasn't held to the same standard, by having those questions answered before it was created?
As you know, the games thread sub-forum was part of a bigger overhaul of Omni wrt posts counting, a separate games sub-forum, & then making that forum a non-post counting forum. There were long & lengthy threads on each of the topics, probably more than any other topics ever brought up for TB consideration (other than mileage run being kept open to all), so I think the case for/against were made, even if not in the 7 questions format.

Answering the questions is a way to help make a case for a new suggestion (whether that be a new forum or something else), especially if it's an area TB members might not be familiar with. It's not the only thing we take into consideration, but it's a good start.

Cheers.

Last edited by SkiAdcock; Aug 2, 2012 at 2:36 pm Reason: switched a couple of things to make for easier reading...
Old Aug 2, 2012, 7:52 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
In June, the following threads were active (I probably missed some). I think the people who believe there's usually only one or two threads about sports active in Omni are mistaken.

2011-12 NBA Season ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page)
2011-12 NHL Season ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page)
2012 MLB Season ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page)
2012 NCAA Baseball: Regionals to the CWS ( 1 2)
2012 U.S. Open (golf) ( 1 2)
Any member who bodybuilds?
Anyone else following Lin-Sanity???? Jeremy Lin #17 NY Knicks ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page)
ATP rankings (tennis) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page)
ESPN: 'Woman hit by ball sues little leaguer'
EURO 2012. ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page)
How many hours does a National League baseball game usually last?
is Tiger Woods the most overrated sports star? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page)
It's Soooooooo Hard to be a Washington Redskins Fan ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page)
Madrid tennis Open (WTA and ATP) ( 1 2 3 4 5)
No Triple Crown at the Belmont tomorrow
Official 2010 College Conference Realignment Rumor Thread ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page)
Red Sox Tickets in August - How to best get them?
Roger Federer ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page)
Roland Garros (French Tennis Open) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page)
The downfall of Penn State football and Joe Paterno + Sandusky trial [merged threads] ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page)
The Pavilion: OMNI Cricket Thread ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page)
Tiger Woods is amazing!!! ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page)
Two NFL cheerleaders arrested at Tampa bar... ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page)
US Tennis Open (Flushing Meadows) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page)
Where will LeBron end up? ( 1 2 3 4 5)
will Phelps bomb in London? ( 1 2 3 4)
Wimbledon Tennis Grand Slam tournament ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page)
WTA (Tennis) ( 1 2 3 4 5)
Yankees Vs. Red Sox - 2012.(.1.2.3.4.5.....Last Page)
Old Aug 2, 2012, 8:08 pm
Original Poster

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by cordelli
In June, the following threads were active (I probably missed some). I think the people who believe there's usually only one or two threads about sports active in Omni are mistaken.

Anyone else following Lin-Sanity???? Jeremy Lin #17 NY Knicks ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page)
Official 2010 College Conference Realignment Rumor Thread ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page)
The downfall of Penn State football and Joe Paterno + Sandusky trial [merged threads] ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page)
Thanks for compiling that. It looks like in June, that's 29 threads, only one of which was related to the Olympics.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 8:29 pm
Original Poster

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
The following are qualitative criteria that the TalkBoard believes are useful to consider when evaluating proposals to create, close, split, or move forums. Whenever a forum change is discussed on the TalkBoard Topics, the TalkBoard encourages posters to fully address these criteria in addition to any other reasons supporting or opposing the change.

1. Will the forum be (or is it now) beneficial to FlyerTalk? Yes, it will give those in OMNI a separate sports forum, so they don't have to search nearly as hard for the sports-related topics.

2. Will the new forum benefit a relationship with FlyerTalk? E.g., does the forum provide value for FT members, such as a friendly ear highly placed in the company It's OMNI, so it's off topic anyway.

3. Is FT the best place to discuss this subject? It's OMNI, so while it's not the best place to discuss sports, it's not the best place to discuss anything in OMNI, necessarily.

4. Is there a passionate following? This is essential in order to provide dedicated expert helpers to get questions answered. Considering there were 29 sports threads in June, most of which had more than 1 page of posts, and many of which have been going on for months, if not years, I'd say so.

5. Is a critical mass of posts and readers anticipated or existing? We need adequate traffic to keep everyone visiting frequently. One living forum is more valuable than two mostly dead ones. Again, there were 29 threads in June, a month where football hasn't started, hockey was only occurring for less than half of the month, US Open tennis isn't until the end of August, etc.

6. Is this the best place on FlyerTalk for this subject? This is the classification issue. The answer depends primarily on achieving and maintaining critical mass. It also depends on whether or where the discussion might (or does) occur in the absence of the forum. This is the best place on FlyerTalk for this subject, as it obviously doesn't belong in any of the other forums, other than OMNI, but this will be a sub-forum of OMNI

7. For proposals to split a forum, is the split expected to improve the signal to noise ratio? Why? In a relatively light sports month (no NFL football, no Olympics, only regular season baseball, hockey for only half a season), there were 29 active threads discussing sports in OMNI. A split would reduce the sports clutter on the front page of OMNI.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus

Out of how many total threads active in June (I assume that meant there was at least 1 post in the month)? I see 202 active in the last month as of today. Considering that June had the Stanley Cup finals, NBA finals, MLB, golf US Open, Wimbledon, tennis French Open, and two major quadrennial events - Euro and the run-up to the Olympics, it's quite possibly the busiest month in sports in the last 4 years. So approx. 15% of the threads with that level of activity hardly calls for a new permanent forum, IHMO.

During football season, there's usually a college football thread, a Washington Redskins thread, and the fantasy football thread at a minimum. Add to it baseball playoffs, and then hockey, and that's probably 4-5 that get bumped at least weekly, if not 3-4 times/week just to discuss games.

Again, I ask the question of why was the OMNI/Games forum not held to the same standard?
4-5 threads among 200 active in a month isn't significant enough for a new forum, IMHO. And if you followed closely, you know the real reason the Games Forum was created.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 10:41 pm
In Memoriam

Originally Posted by CPRich
it's quite possibly the busiest month in sports in the last 4 years.

Or Maybe Not if the totally useless connection between big sports months and sports threads is the theory. May, 2012. I stopped counting at 30, there's certainly many more.

Indycar's biggest star??????
White Sox are 5th Worst Fans in MLB
2011 PGA Tour ( 1 2 3 4)
Shaq O'Neal will play the Grown Ups 2 movie
Champions League 2012
Rome ATP masters series (tennis) tournament ( 1 2)
Why Do Sports Announcers Use Long Term Rivalry Statistics
Alabama grandfather faces felony charges for attacking youth softball ump
Olympic Tickets Presale 17th of May
Can Kevin Garnett save the Celtics? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page)
Saints Sean Payton suspended for 1 full year ( 1 2)
NFL Great Junior Seau Dead ( 1 2)
What's wrong with the New York Knicks from a fresh perscpective
$2 Billion for the Dodgers
EX trojan recruit exonerated of rape charges
Baseball (Little League) rules question ( 1 2)
BREAKING: USC Stripped of 2004 National Championship ( 1 2 3)

Old Aug 3, 2012, 12:08 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL, AS, LH, BA, VS, HHonors, Hyatt, Club Carlson, IHG, Marriott
deleted

Last edited by MVF Trekker; Aug 3, 2012 at 2:11 am
Old Aug 3, 2012, 5:29 am

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref

I put in Red the ones that I thought are ongoing threads and the ones you could see active on any given day. The rest are really short timers that are gone quickly.

2nd, I would not put the two cheerleaders one as a sports topic as this thread has little to do with sports

and if you think that all of the above is worthy of its own forum than someone has too much time on their hands.
Old Aug 3, 2012, 7:37 am

The following are qualitative criteria that the TalkBoard believes are useful to consider when evaluating proposals to create, close, split, or move forums. Whenever a forum change is discussed on the TalkBoard Topics, the TalkBoard encourages posters to fully address these criteria in addition to any other reasons supporting or opposing the change.

1. Will the forum be (or is it now) beneficial to FlyerTalk? Yes, it will give those in OMNI a separate sports forum, so they don't have to search nearly as hard for the sports-related topics.

2. Will the new forum benefit a relationship with FlyerTalk? E.g., does the forum provide value for FT members, such as a friendly ear highly placed in the company It's OMNI, so it's off topic anyway.

3. Is FT the best place to discuss this subject? It's OMNI, so while it's not the best place to discuss sports, it's not the best place to discuss anything in OMNI, necessarily.

4. Is there a passionate following? This is essential in order to provide dedicated expert helpers to get questions answered. Considering there were 29 sports threads in June, most of which had more than 1 page of posts, and many of which have been going on for months, if not years, I'd say so.

5. Is a critical mass of posts and readers anticipated or existing? We need adequate traffic to keep everyone visiting frequently. One living forum is more valuable than two mostly dead ones. Again, there were 29 threads in June, a month where football hasn't started, hockey was only occurring for less than half of the month, US Open tennis isn't until the end of August, etc.

6. Is this the best place on FlyerTalk for this subject? This is the classification issue. The answer depends primarily on achieving and maintaining critical mass. It also depends on whether or where the discussion might (or does) occur in the absence of the forum. This is the best place on FlyerTalk for this subject, as it obviously doesn't belong in any of the other forums, other than OMNI, but this will be a sub-forum of OMNI

7. For proposals to split a forum, is the split expected to improve the signal to noise ratio? Why? In a relatively light sports month (no NFL football, no Olympics, only regular season baseball, hockey for only half a season), there were 29 active threads discussing sports in OMNI. A split would reduce the sports clutter on the front page of OMNI.
kipper, thank you for taking the time to answer the questions.

Cheers.
Old Aug 3, 2012, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
kipper, thank you for taking the time to answer the questions.

Cheers.
Yes, thank you.
Old Aug 3, 2012, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I'm not getting this sudden "need" to break out forums into finer and finer topics. The off-topic area is for just that, non-travel related off topic posts. The reasons Omni was broken out were spelled out pretty clearly in other discussions. Quite honestly, I disagreed with the initial split, but it was of Randy's doing, and no one has suggested putting it back together.
Old Aug 3, 2012, 8:25 am
In Memoriam

If the purpose of Omni is for non travel related posts, then quite a few other forums should be deleted and moved into Omni. Probably over half of Flyertalk the last time I actually did the calculations is not travel related anymore, despite the forum having some travel name. By definition then those forums should be deleted and all their posts moved into Omni? We currently split out non travel related topics, though it was through evolution, and not actually splitting them from Omni, but there are certainly many specific non travel discussions outside of Omni in their own forums now.

Flyertalk has changed considerably since these forums were defined. Holding to definitions written a dozen years ago (or more) that in no way apply to the current use doesn't make any sense to me.

Some people keep all their mail in one folder, some people use subfolders. Neither is wrong, it's just a preference.
Old Aug 3, 2012, 9:02 am

As CPRich mentioned, June had the Stanley Cup finals, NBA finals, MLB, golf US Open, Wimbledon, tennis French Open, and two major quadrennial events - Euro and the run-up to the Olympics, so it's not quite surprising there were more threads.

Which supports my thinking that at certain times of the year(s), there are probably going to be more sports threads. But then I realized I rarely read the sports threads & just skim over titles, etc, so perhaps my thinking was off because they're not as much interest to me personally.

I thought it might be interesting to see what June/July looked like last year, so did a search back. That's when I discovered Omni threads only track back a year, so J/J '11 is now gone & I can't do a year-to-year comparison.

So I decided to go back a year month-by-month & see how often sports threads were on Omni, and see if there's a trend - ie, spikes or consistent.

I discovered they're pretty consistent - and not actually that overwhelming.

Aug '11: 110 posts, 8 sports, # per page: 0,0,3,4,1,0
Sept '11: 122 posts, 8 sports, # per page: 1,1,0,3,2,1
Oct '11; 99 posts, 12 sports, # per page: 1,4,2,4,1
Nov '11; 140 posts, 10 sports, # per page: 2,2,3,2,1,0,0
Dec '11: 121 posts, 5 sports, # per page: 1,2,0,0,1,0,2
Jan '12: 134 posts, 9 sports, # per page: 1,3,2,1,1,1,0
Feb '12: 177 posts, 14 sports, # per page: 1,2,3,0,0,2,4,2,0
Mar '12: 178 posts, 9 sports, # per page: 1,3,2,2,0,0,1,0
Apr '12; 186 posts, 15 sports, # per page: 0,1,4,4,0,1,3,1,1
May '12: 135 posts, 13 sports, # per page: 2,3,2,3,2,1

Not surprising, certain months other topics occurred a lot (ie, Nov/Dec a lot of holiday threads) & certain topics come up on a regular basis as well - workforce issues, car stuff, real estate & house repair stuff.

So I'm still in the I think certain times of the year we'll see a spike of threads on a topic (such as the Olympics) & other times it doesn't happen enough to justify a sub-forum camp.

On a personal note - while I'm following the Olympics I'm not opening every single thread. I just skim past to see any Olympic ones or non-Olympic ones I'm interested in & read those - of course I do that at any time of the year, including with regular sports threads or threads about the Fibonnaci sequence.

Cheers.
Old Aug 3, 2012, 9:19 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Thank you kipper for bringing this topic up and where my gut reaction was to say "no" simply based on the handful of sports threads I follow and that many sports threads are cyclical (i.e. the Stanley Cup Final* ), and some pop up based on a hot topic (i.e. Penn State and Tiger Woods), cordelli did a good job (x2) in showing that there are quite a few sports related threads and I would be in favor of this. Yes, as I mentioned, sports is cyclical but that is the nature of sports as it is with politics and granted, where the need for OMNI/PR was obvious, this subject was, at first read, not obvious to me but now that I think about it....

*it's the Stanley Cup Fina"l" and not Final"s" as the "s" belongs to the sport where you put the ball in the hoop
Old Aug 3, 2012, 9:28 am

Programs: HH Silver
Flyertalk has changed considerably since these forums were defined. Holding to definitions written a dozen years ago (or more) that in no way apply to the current use doesn't make any sense to me.
Respectfully it equally makes no sense to me to say that in OMNI, a forum where (almost) anything goes, we should be further redefining "anything".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.