Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

an OMNI/Sports forum?

an OMNI/Sports forum?

Old Aug 3, 2012, 10:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Since one of the concerns/reasons for creating a sports sub-forum is that they're cluttering up the front page of Omni, I thought I'd do a further break-down of my #s for August '11-May'12.

70 pages.
18 pages had 0 sports posts (25.7%)
21 pages had 1 sport post (30%)
16 pages had 2 sport posts (22.8%)
9 pages had 3 sport posts (12.8%)
6 pages had 4 sport posts (8.5%)

That means that on non-big sporting events months, 78.5% of the pages had 0-2 sports posts.

That says to me that there isn't a need to create a sports sub-forum. Other than big sporting events months, sports threads don't take up a lot of space on Omni.

Nor am I into discrimination per se. While I may not be a big fan of all sports, that doesn't mean FTer shouldn't be able to discuss them in the regular Omni forum.

On a dif note - I'm not sure this (mentioned in cordelli's list) qualifies as a sports thread per se: "Shaq O'Neal will play the Grown Ups 2 movie"

Cheers.

Last edited by SkiAdcock; Aug 3, 2012 at 10:11 am Reason: add the Shaq line...
Old Aug 3, 2012, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by cordelli
Or Maybe Not if the totally useless connection between big sports months and sports threads is the theory. May, 2012. I stopped counting at 30, there's certainly many more.
[B]-
First, what's your point related to the topic? If you're just being pedantic, I'll point out that you didn't list 30, you're comparing a list that had the disclaimer "I probably missed some", and a quick scan reveals at a minimum, with the greatly relaxed definition :

will Clemens be treated the same was as Bonds?
Arrest made in Erin Andrews hotel-peephole case
2012 Div 1A College Football Thread
Flyertalk Fantasy Football 2012
Rudy: good movie or great movie

(and the gratuitous "there are certainly many more")

But again, what's your point. Supporting or objecting to a Sports sub-thread?
Old Aug 3, 2012, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Mary2e
I'm not getting this sudden "need" to break out forums into finer and finer topics. The off-topic area is for just that, non-travel related off topic posts. The reasons Omni was broken out were spelled out pretty clearly in other discussions. Quite honestly, I disagreed with the initial split, but it was of Randy's doing, and no one has suggested putting it back together.
Exacto. No need for esports in eseparate eforum.
Old Aug 3, 2012, 10:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by kipper
I'm working on it, but that's not going to happen until at least tonight.

I do have to ask why the OMNI/Games forum wasn't held to the same standard, by having those questions answered before it was created?
Because the Games thread was born from a discussion amongst the TalkBoard. You want us to make a case to ourselves?

It's up to others if they wish to make a case for a forum by answering the questionnaire. I certainly don't require it.

It's doubtful that I'll seriously consider a vote to further fragment OMNI. And moving sports threads to the Games forum is a non-starter since those threads would be off-topic in that forum.
Old Aug 4, 2012, 3:18 pm

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
I ignore most of the US sports ones, but occasionally contribute to tennis ones.

If they get ghettoised into a different sub-forum, I probably won't bother. So while there is no very strong case for building the sub-forum, it would actually create a disincentive for some of us who do currently contribute to some sports threads that interest us.
Old Aug 5, 2012, 1:44 pm
Original Poster

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by Jenbel
I ignore most of the US sports ones, but occasionally contribute to tennis ones.

If they get ghettoised into a different sub-forum, I probably won't bother. So while there is no very strong case for building the sub-forum, it would actually create a disincentive for some of us who do currently contribute to some sports threads that interest us.
Didn't that happen with the games forum as well though? Yet, that wasn't a consideration there.
Old Aug 5, 2012, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Didn't that happen with the games forum as well though? Yet, that wasn't a consideration there.
Why is this important to you?
Old Aug 6, 2012, 8:44 am

I'm not sure what you mean by the above.

As cholula mentioned, "one of the main reasons we created an OMNI Games sub-forum was for a place to put games that required little to no human interaction and thus were not deemed worthy of post count credit. Some games are still in regular OMNI as they combine fun and/or some sort of interaction with their posts. Posts get counted in OMNI and OMNI/PR. They don't get counted in OMNI/Games."

There is human interaction in the Omni sports threads & they're popular, so I'm still not sure why sports needs to be a sub-forum, other than non-sports folk don't want to see thread titles? They don't have to open/read the threads if they're not interested in the topic (well, that's true of any topic in Omni).

And once the Olympics are past, the # of sports threads will go back to normal.

Cheers.

Last edited by SkiAdcock; Aug 6, 2012 at 8:50 am
Old Aug 6, 2012, 8:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RichMSN
Why is this important to you?
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
I'm not sure what you mean by this?

Cheers.
Just pointing out that participation in threads if they were moved didn't seem to be a concern, so why should that be a concern now?

Yes, I realize why OMNI/Games was split, however, if participation in threads if they were moved wasn't a factor then, why should they be a factor in this discussion?
Old Aug 6, 2012, 8:58 am

Just pointing out that participation in threads if they were moved didn't seem to be a concern, so why should that be a concern now?

Yes, I realize why OMNI/Games was split, however, if participation in threads if they were moved wasn't a factor then, why should they be a factor in this discussion?
And again, as cholula mentioned, "one of the main reasons we created an OMNI Games sub-forum was for a place to put games that required little to no human interaction and thus were not deemed worthy of post count credit. Some games are still in regular OMNI as they combine fun and/or some sort of interaction with their posts. Posts get counted in OMNI and OMNI/PR. They don't get counted in OMNI/Games."

If you want us to consider a sports sub-forum you need to focus on why specifically this topic, amongst other topics such as workplace issues, dating, home repairs, cars, that appear in Omni regularly, needs to be split off into a separate one.

Cheers.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 9:57 pm

Now that the Olympics are over, we seem to be going back to regular Omni posting & sports threads don't seem to be taking over the forum. However, weddings & cats now seem to be the new thing

I don't think this will be brought up for a motion, but if it is I'll really need a lot of reasons why it should be created before I vote for it.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, if the OP wants us to consider a sports sub-forum she needs to focus on why specifically this topic, amongst other topics such as workplace issues, dating, home repairs, cars, that appear in Omni regularly, needs to be split off into a separate one. I haven't seen that yet.

I do, however, appreciate her asking us to consider it!

Cheers.

Last edited by SkiAdcock; Aug 15, 2012 at 10:04 pm Reason: duh - can i type any worse - fix typos...
Old Aug 16, 2012, 2:16 pm
Original Poster

Now that the Olympics are over, we seem to be going back to regular Omni posting & sports threads don't seem to be taking over the forum. However, weddings & cats now seem to be the new thing

I don't think this will be brought up for a motion, but if it is I'll really need a lot of reasons why it should be created before I vote for it.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, if the OP wants us to consider a sports sub-forum she needs to focus on why specifically this topic, amongst other topics such as workplace issues, dating, home repairs, cars, that appear in Omni regularly, needs to be split off into a separate one. I haven't seen that yet.

I do, however, appreciate her asking us to consider it!

Cheers.
There are still 10 sports-related threads on the front page of OMNI, and another 9 on the second page, only 5 of which pertain to the Olympics.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 2:46 pm

There are still 10 sports-related threads on the front page of OMNI, and another 9 on the second page, only 5 of which pertain to the Olympics.
I counted & I didn't see quite as many as you. FWIW - I'm not counting the cheerleaders getting arrested at a bar as a sports thread .

If you want us to consider a sports sub-forum you need to focus on why specifically this topic, amongst other topics such as workplace issues, dating, home repairs, cars, pets, that appear in Omni regularly, needs to be split off into a separate one. I haven't seen that yet from you.

Cheers.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's nice. It also doesn't mean we should have a dedicated forum for those threads.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 2:53 pm
Original Poster

I counted & I didn't see quite as many as you. FWIW - I'm not counting the cheerleaders getting arrested at a bar as a sports thread .

If you want us to consider a sports sub-forum you need to focus on why specifically this topic, amongst other topics such as workplace issues, dating, home repairs, cars, pets, that appear in Omni regularly, needs to be split off into a separate one. I haven't seen that yet from you.

Cheers.
Ok, so subtract 1.

The sports threads are recurring, over a long period of time, whereas many of the workplace issues, home repairs, cars, pets, etc., are active for a fairly short time, and then die. The sports threads often span at least one season, if not multiple seasons, or result in new threads for the next season, with each season typically being 4-6 months, if not longer.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.