Ritz-Carlton Rewards Forum

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ritz-Carlton Rewards Forum

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2012, 3:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
RC property discussions currently reside in both the Marriott & Luxury hotel forums.

Property comparison discussions (such as how does RC XX compare to Four Seasons XX or Aman XX) reside in the Luxury hotel forum.

If I understand the OP correctly, he would like to see RC get its own forum because RC has a rewards program, CC tie-ins, etc, and see discussions re: those & properties (not comparison threads) go in to a separate RC forum.

That might make sense (or not), just as it might make sense (or not) to have RC become a sub-forum of Marriott since the rewards program is basically the same w/ 2 different front ends, or it might make sense to just change the Marriott forum title to incorporate RC (or not).

There are 3 possible items for TB to consider, based on this thread & the other changing the forum title thread.

Cheers.
I think a subforum within Marriott would be a good compromise, but ultimately I believe a standalone forum would be best. The main forum reads the following for Travel and Dining:

Travel&Dining
These topics are for discussing travel issues, food and drink.
and since RC Rewards is a points based loyalty program I think it would be most consistent and appropriate to file it under Miles&Points.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 4:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
The following are qualitative criteria that the TalkBoard believes are useful to consider when evaluating proposals to create, close, split, or move forums. Whenever a forum change is discussed on the TalkBoard Topics, the TalkBoard encourages posters to fully address these criteria in addition to any other reasons supporting or opposing the change.

1. Will the forum be (or is it now) beneficial to FlyerTalk?
Yes, I believe a consolidated forum to discuss all things Ritz-Cartlton would be beneficial. As it is discussion is distributed throughout Luxury Hotels and Marriott Rewards, with some redundancy, duplicate threads, and other inconsistencies. I think it would be useful for those like myself only interested in Ritz-Carlton related discussion to have a place without needing to sift through endless Marriott Rewards and Marriott property related threads.

2. Will the new forum benefit a relationship with FlyerTalk? E.g., does the forum provide value for FT members, such as a friendly ear highly placed in the company
Yes, I believe so for the same reasons as stated above. I'm do not have an affiliation with Marriott or the Ritz-Carlton to know if they will leverage such a forum but I know a little bit about the social media initiatives the individual hotel locations have used. Perhaps this is something they would consider adding in the future.

3. Is FT the best place to discuss this subject?
Discussion is already taking place on FT, clearly there is an interest. Since the Ritz-Carlton and other luxury hotel chains are increasingly leveraging points based rewards and recognition programs I believe this is an FT worthy discussion.

4. Is there a passionate following? This is essential in order to provide dedicated expert helpers to get questions answered.
I would say so. Some luxury hotel guests prefer the Four Seasons, but I'm a very loyal Ritz-Carlton guest. Been a lifelong guest and have fond childhood memories at the St. Louis and former Boston location. Over the years I've traveled to nearly 20 properties worldwide and consider myself fairly aware and knowledgeable of their properties, amenities, and the rewards program.

5. Is a critical mass of posts and readers anticipated or existing? We need adequate traffic to keep everyone visiting frequently. One living forum is more valuable than two mostly dead ones.
I would say so. As it is discussion is spread across various areas of FT, and I believe a single forum would be superior to a hodge podge of threads throughout various forums. Ritz-Carlton is opening many new properties throughout Asia and the Middle East, and is also pursuing other growth opportunities.

6. Is this the best place on FlyerTalk for this subject? This is the classification issue. The answer depends primarily on achieving and maintaining critical mass. It also depends on whether or where the discussion might (or does) occur in the absence of the forum.
I believe it would be better than what we have now. Allow Marriott discussion to focus on Marriott properties, Luxury Hotels to center around with non-RC and point related discussion.

7. For proposals to split a forum, is the split expected to improve the signal to noise ratio? Why?
Splitting the forum would be an acceptable alternative IMHO, but a separate forum altogether would be ideal. It would take some adjusting and possibly moving threads around but ultimately I believe it would be an enhancement for FT readers seeking Ritz-Carlton related discussion.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 4:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by AAerSTL
Allow Marriott discussion to focus on Marriott properties, Luxury Hotels to center around with non-RC and point related discussion.
In that case where would Marriott Rewards members collecting or redeeming at RC discuss their topics?
Old Jun 29, 2012, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i would argue marriott is removing the "gap" between RC and its other brands

but i now recognize the position that it is different from other chains, in terms of being a "subsidiary" or something like that
Old Jun 30, 2012, 8:16 pm

Ritz Carlton thread

As a newbie poster but frequent visitor for information and help, wouldn't it be good to look at this from the point of those coming here for information? Say you are new to the credit card game, you google search the new card you have received to see if you are fully taking advantage of that specific cards offerings, or if you could maximize its potential. While you are correct that the Marriott Thread is a mix of basically the same features, the fact is my card is Ritz Carlton branded. I search for Ritz Carlton, and information in the thread is geared towards that end.

IMHO no harm in a thread that is useful and helpful for all to use, new and old.
Old Jul 1, 2012, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AAerSTL
Splitting the forum would be an acceptable alternative IMHO, but a separate forum altogether would be ideal. It would take some adjusting and possibly moving threads around but ultimately I believe it would be an enhancement for FT readers seeking Ritz-Carlton related discussion.
I agree with this. The Ritz Carlton experience is different than the Marriott experience and the discussion surrounding is varied too (based on discussion in the Luxury Hotel forum vs. the Marriott forum discussions). There are just as many Ritz Carltons as their are Fairmont hotels and I think there's enough of a following and discussion topics to allow for a separate forum.

FWIW, I'm not a big fan of subfora - primarily due to how they display on FT.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

st regis, park hyatt, waldorf...
Old Jul 2, 2012, 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by bhatnasx
There are just as many Ritz Carltons as their are Fairmont hotels and I think there's enough of a following and discussion topics to allow for a separate forum.
Sorry but the comparison to Fairmont that keeps getting made is IMHO invalid as unlike Fairmont, Marriott and RC have chosen to allign themselves with each other and that affiliation makes it harder to discuss them separately. Fairmont was never a partner of another hotel chain and so didn't trade on any corporate marketing relationship or association with another hotelier.

Trying to separate the conjoined Marriott/Ritz-Carlton twin is only asking for more confusion about topic location and overlapping threads in both forums and future complaints that it's too frustrating. That is merely MHO of course and YMMV.
Old Jul 3, 2012, 12:08 am

Originally Posted by tcook052
Sorry but the comparison to Fairmont that keeps getting made is IMHO invalid as unlike Fairmont, Marriott and RC have chosen to allign themselves with each other and that affiliation makes it harder to discuss them separately. Fairmont was never a partner of another hotel chain and so didn't trade on any corporate marketing relationship or association with another hotelier.

Trying to separate the conjoined Marriott/Ritz-Carlton twin is only asking for more confusion about topic location and overlapping threads in both forums and future complaints that it's too frustrating. That is merely MHO of course and YMMV.
Could not agree with you more...

Hello! Ritz-Carlton is Marriott is Ritz-Carlton.

If anything, possibly amend the current Marriott forum title to include Ritz.

But seriously, the people that come to FT know that Ritz is Marriott. And if they have any questions, go to the Marriott forum (and in some cases, the Luxury Hotels forum).
Old Jul 15, 2012, 4:10 pm

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
FWIW, I stay mainly at JW MR, MR, Ren, and RC properties. I have no problem ignoring CY, SH, FFI, and RI threads. I also often use the search feature (heaven forbid) and will search for specific hotels and/or cities I am interested in. Doing this in one forum would be much more convenient IMO especially since the programs are the same. Same rules, same redemption opportunities, same hotels. The only difference are their promos. Not to mention the vast resource of information already available via the search function regarding the aspects and nuances of the MR and RCR programs (same rules remember).

So my vote is for a joint Marriott Rewards & Ritz-Carlton Rewards forum. It is that already with the exception of the name.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 4:57 pm

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Originally Posted by tcook052
In that case where would Marriott Rewards members collecting or redeeming at RC discuss their topics?
Marriott Reward members would discuss all of their Marriott Rewards related topics in the MR forum (or whatever name it may be changed to) as they are now. Discussions of RC properties would continue there too because many MR members earn and burn at RC as they do at other MR brands.

If there is a separate RCR forum then they would discuss both RC and other Marriott brands earning and burning opportunities there also. After all their program, like the MR program, allows earning and burning at all Marriott brands (including RC).

Keep in mind these forums are not Hotel forums, but are frequent stay program forums. Therefore we have a choice:

1) A Marriott Rewards forum and a separate Ritz-Carlton Rewards Forum whose rules are identical and whose earn and burn opportunities are identical. There will be redundant discussions, some discussions about other Marriott brands by RCR members in their forum and other discussions about RC brand by MR members in their forum.

- or -

2) A combined Marriott Rewards and Ritz-Carlton Rewards forum whose programs are governed by common T&C.

#2 just makes way more sense IMO.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 12:31 am

Originally Posted by aaupgrade
Keep in mind these forums are not Hotel forums, but are frequent stay program forums.
They are supposed to be but in reality virtually anything Marriott related is up for discussion.

#2 just makes way more sense IMO.
Agreed. ^
Old Jul 16, 2012, 6:32 am

Programs: UA Aluminum 0.6MM, Bonvoy Life Sentence, Hyatt Eliteist, AA Super Plutonium
I would vote to rename the current MR forum to a joint name. I don't think we need an extra forum.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 8:32 pm

Programs: AC
sounds fine.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 9:22 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
In the Marriott forum there is a Poll thread on this very topic, http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...d-renamed.html, where any FT member can vote on their preferred option. The voting will last until Oct. 22. So there is a lot of time for everyone to make their voice heard.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.