Organization of Airline Programs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Organization of Airline Programs

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2012, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
I doubt Mrs. Slocombe would be referring to content. I'm sure, however, we'd hear about her pussy.
You do realize that you had me up all night watching Are You Being Served reruns, right?

When initially reviewing this topic, I wasn't aware there was previous discussion on the issue here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/india...-airlines.html

In a review of that thread, I count:
  • 4 members in support of renaming it back to the old name
  • 9 members in support of the new name or who do not support renaming it back to the old name
  • 1 member who has no preference
  • 6 members who post unrelated commentary on the thread and do not express any comment on the subject itself

Given this information, I would be likely to favor the current (new) name and consistency it brings to FlyerTalk.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by jackal
Given this information, I would be likely to favor the current (new) name and consistency it brings to FlyerTalk.
But that isn't the only place the topic is being discussed. It came up on the Chai Stall thread as well as here. And not everyone has 'voted' on each thread. And I thought that ultimately it is TB which votes, not the general membership. But certainly I do think that the membership should be heard, and just using that thread isn't necessarily representative of the general population.

I personally am somewhat surprised that one person who is not a regular poster on that forum managed to have the title changed, without input, which tends to be counter to how such changes are made (Especially in light of the numerous geographic fora changes and the input which was solicited)

Last edited by exbayern; Apr 24, 2012 at 9:23 am
Old Apr 24, 2012, 9:30 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
You do realize that you had me up all night watching Are You Being Served reruns, right?

When initially reviewing this topic, I wasn't aware there was previous discussion on the issue here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/india...-airlines.html

• 9 members in support of the new name or who do not support renaming it back to the old name
  • 6 members who post unrelated commentary on the thread and do not express any comment on the subject itself

That's not accurate.

My count was:
  • 4 members in support of renaming it back (PVDtoDEL, snod08, Simz, and zenith2010). Since then, AoI forum regulars Hyderago, lallyr, deepakbhatia, bollyfan, and zoonil have voiced that they support renaming it back, along with AoI community member exbayern, who admittedly is only a lurker on our forum. This topic has also been discussed in other places, such as Chai Stall and a few other threads, where there was other support of renaming it back.
  • 2 members in favor of keeping the name as it is (Babu, who has said that he would have no objections if it were changed back even though he likes it the current way, and lo2e, who most certainly not a frequent poster/reader of AoI)
  • 9 members who were indifferent to the change. (GUWonder, Oliver2002, SeeBuyFly, Keyser, B747-437B, Mr. Bean, SQ421, AJLondon and rurouni212). They all said "We don't care what you call it" - which certainly doesn't mean that they support it in current form. It just means that they don't want to spend time/effort lobbying to get it changed back.

That's a very different picture than you were posting.

Last edited by PVDtoDEL; Apr 24, 2012 at 9:20 pm
Old Apr 24, 2012, 9:37 am

I'd only like to clarify that I am at the moment a lurker at AoI due to circumstances, but tend to post more frequently when I my travel year includes more India. (And I tend to defer to the wisdom on that board as there is far more there than I possess )

But I don't consider my voice in current lurker status to carry any less weight as a result. I know that whenever I do come back to that community, they welcome me, and I still consider myself part of that community even if I read more than post these days. I post far more on the UA forum, but don't really consider myself part of that particular community.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 9:42 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by exbayern
I'd only like to clarify that I am at the moment a lurker at AoI due to circumstances, but tend to post more frequently when I my travel year includes more India. (And I tend to defer to the wisdom on that board as there is far more there than I possess )

But I don't consider my voice in current lurker status to carry any less weight as a result. I know that whenever I do come back to that community, they welcome me, and I still consider myself part of that community even if I read more than post these days. I post far more on the UA forum, but don't really consider myself part of that particular community.
Indeed. We all consider you a valuable member of our community. I just wanted to state that upfront so nobody comes running with "exbayern hasn't posted on AoI in x decades!" ()

The simple fact that you read the forum often means that you deserve a say. And thankfully, here at FT, you actually get one
Old Apr 24, 2012, 10:03 am

Programs: AMEX Cent AU, UA Plat, 9W Plat, Amtrak S+, HHonors Slv
I'll chime in and also request that we go back to AOI, and also that we standardize the "Airlines of" moniker for the others. AOI is just the traditional name that we're all used to, and I think it would be nice to keep it at that since it sounds better, is placed better, and has a tremendous member-backing for the old name.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
Indeed. We all consider you a valuable member of our community. I just wanted to state that upfront so nobody comes running with "exbayern hasn't posted on AoI in x decades!" ()
Thanks - I even still have my Kingfisher baggage tags to prove my membership in AoI.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 4:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by bhatnasx
I think that these "lumped" airline fora should be placed together - as a newbie wouldn't know where to go to find India-based airlines or Russian-based airlines on their own.

I think that the Hawaii-based airlines made sense as that forum was right next to the Hawaiian Airlines forum - so logically located for those seeing info. For India & Russia though, the new format is actually, IMHO, the least logical way of grouping. No new FT'er that doesn't know that the India/Russia forums exist will easily find or stumble upon these 2 fora.
With all due respect cuz I like & value your opinion, on this one I'll disagree. I started thinking about this due to this thread & the request to turn AofI back.

If I was new to FT I'd actually probably look for location if I wasn't looking for a specific airline program.

So India-based or Hawaiian-based or Russia-based would probably direct me closer to where I needed to be if I didn't find it under a specific airline program (which is how the rest of the airline programs are listed).

I would actually think it more strange to see Hawaii, India & Russia grouped together because the 3 have literally nothing in common other than "Airlines of".

Cheers.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 5:16 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich

Reading the discussion now, I would disagree - people really seem to dislike the change. The "consistency" argument doesn't really cut it with me I'm afraid, it sounds a little like the "we've always done things this way" that people come up with when they don't have a better argument. I can't see what is so imporant about consistency - if there were thousands of entries to plow through this might be valid, but there aren't.

I loved the sound of the old name, and I can sympathise with the regulars there who are disappointed by the change.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by BadgerBoi
Reading the discussion now, I would disagree - people really seem to dislike the change. The "consistency" argument doesn't really cut it with me I'm afraid, it sounds a little like the "we've always done things this way" that people come up with when they don't have a better argument.
But what about the argument:

"For people new to FT...

India-based or Hawaiian-based or Russia-based would probably direct me closer to where I needed to be if I didn't find it under a specific airline program (which is how the rest of the airline programs are listed).

I would actually think it more strange to see Hawaii, India & Russia grouped together because the 3 have literally nothing in common other than "Airlines of".

I was originally leaning towards the change back, but the more I think about it I'm leaning towards keeping it the same because I think it makes more sense from a logical point of view.

Cheers.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
But what about the argument:

"For people new to FT...

India-based or Hawaiian-based or Russia-based would probably direct me closer to where I needed to be if I didn't find it under a specific airline program (which is how the rest of the airline programs are listed).

I was originally leaning towards the change back, but the more I think about it I'm leaning towards keeping it the same because I think it makes more sense from a logical point of view.

Cheers.
I see your point, but it's not like it's an encyclopaedia where people would have to trawl through hundreds or thousands of entries to find what they want, once they manage to find the right area to look.

Someone new to FT is always going to have trouble finding what they want no matter how it's ordered. If it's my first time here and I want to find, say, opinions on Air France's business class product it's going to take me a while to figure that it's somewhere under Miles and Points. I think I'd be more likely to look first under "Travel and Dining" because I might think that it's about travel, not earning points.

Hmmm, thinking about this, perhaps I should start a push to have "Flying Blue (Air France, KLM, and Other Partners)" forum changed to "French and Netherlands and Other Places Based Airlines". That would help it to fit in better with the standard
Old Apr 24, 2012, 6:38 pm

Hmmm, thinking about this, perhaps I should start a push to have "Flying Blue (Air France, KLM, and Other Partners)" forum changed to "French and Netherlands and Other Places Based Airlines". That would help it to fit in better with the standard
Your perogative to do so, although airline programs (vs. multiple airlines within a region) usually go by the airline or FFname. If you want to lobby TB - and the Community Director - re: change, that's fine. Don't get too disappointed though if Flying Blue stays the same

Cheers.

Last edited by SkiAdcock; Apr 24, 2012 at 6:55 pm
Old Apr 24, 2012, 6:56 pm

Your perogative to do so, although airline programs (vs. multiple airlines within a region) usually go by the airline or FFname. If you want to lobby TB - and the Community Director - feel free to do so.

Cheers.
I've got no interest in doing this, I was just making the point that the standardisation argument is more or less bollocks.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 7:09 pm

I was just making the point that the standardisation argument is more or less bollocks.
Actually I disagree.

The 3 forums that currently exist that are not individual airlines/FF program based, can be either Airlines of or XX-based airlines - & thus consistent whichever way it goes. It would be inconsistent if one was Airlines of & the other 2 were XX-based.

I appreciate that some of the folk frequenting the forum prefer the old AofI, but in reading this thread there were a # who didn't care at all or thought the new way was fine too.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/india...-airlines.html

So speaking only for myself as a TB member, I'm ok with letting the new nomenclature stand.

And for those who are concerned about 'finding' it the new way, I'd recommend "My Flyertalk".

Cheers.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 7:46 pm

Actually I disagree.

Cheers.
Fine by me, we disagree, that's life. You've said nothing to change my opinion that the argument is bollocks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.