Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Sign in using an external account

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Mar 13, 12, 9:14 am   #1
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Dallas, TX
Programs: AA EXP, WN A-List & CP, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Avis CC
Posts: 1,220
Separate AmEx forum - why no Chase UR forum?

I came looking for info on the Chase Ultimate Rewards program and I figured I'd find something similar to the American Express Membership Rewards forum. Nope. Only Chase stuff intermingled with other programs in this general credit card forum.

I submit that Chase Ultimate Rewards is now becoming popular enough that it should have it's own forum. What do you think?
ramalama8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 12, 9:20 am   #2
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Pittsburgh
Programs: UA, US, AF, DL, ...
Posts: 581
I think Chase UR has grown and I think it generates enough interest to warrant a separate forum.
cvarming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 12, 9:35 am   #3
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Miami & London
Programs: AA 2MM Perpetual Platinum; HH & SPG Gold
Posts: 20,996
Moderator action

Creation of new forums is a topic for Talkboard to consider, and the thread has been moved to that forum.

In my view Ultimate Rewards does not yet warrant a separate forum:

American Express Membership Rewards is available worldwide. The USA version has 15 airline partners and 6 hotel chain partners.

Diners Club Rewards is available worldwide. The USA version has 15 airline partners, 7 hotel chain partners, and one railroad.

Chase Ultimate Rewards is a USA-only program with 4 airline partners, 3 hotel chains and 1 railroad. It's an aggregation of Chase's existing card issuing relationships. (Chase is the affinity card issuer for all except one of the UR partners.) American Express and Diners offer frequent transfer bonus promotions; Ultimate Rewards does not.
mia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 12, 9:46 am   #4
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by mia View Post
Creation of new forums is a topic for Talkboard to consider, and the thread has been moved to that forum.

In my view Ultimate Rewards does not yet warrant a separate forum:

American Express Membership Rewards is available worldwide. The USA version has 15 airline partners and 6 hotel chain partners.

Diners Club Rewards is available worldwide. The USA version has 15 airline partners, 7 hotel chain partners, and one railroad.

Chase Ultimate Rewards is a USA-only program with 4 airline partners, 3 hotel chains and 1 railroad. It's an aggregation of Chase's existing card issuing relationships. (Chase is the affinity card issuer for all except one of the UR partners.) American Express and Diners offer frequent transfer bonus promotions; Ultimate Rewards does not.
I still don't see the reason why UR should not be separate.
zb1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 12, 10:07 am   #5
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Dallas, TX
Programs: AA EXP, WN A-List & CP, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Avis CC
Posts: 1,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by mia View Post
Creation of new forums is a topic for Talkboard to consider, and the thread has been moved to that forum.

In my view Ultimate Rewards does not yet warrant a separate forum:

American Express Membership Rewards is available worldwide. The USA version has 15 airline partners and 6 hotel chain partners.

Diners Club Rewards is available worldwide. The USA version has 15 airline partners, 7 hotel chain partners, and one railroad.

Chase Ultimate Rewards is a USA-only program with 4 airline partners, 3 hotel chains and 1 railroad. It's an aggregation of Chase's existing card issuing relationships. (Chase is the affinity card issuer for all except one of the UR partners.) American Express and Diners offer frequent transfer bonus promotions; Ultimate Rewards does not.
Understood. But when you look at the popularity of the program both in terms of amount of discussion it generates and that virtually every points blogger is calling this their new favorite program, it may be worth it to get out ahead of the curve.

Plus, Diners Club? I mean, sure, it's been around for a long while, but it's dying. If they have their own forum, I would certainly think that UR would qualify as well.
ramalama8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 12, 10:08 am   #6
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Pittsburgh
Programs: UA, US, AF, DL, ...
Posts: 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by mia View Post
Creation of new forums is a topic for Talkboard to consider, and the thread has been moved to that forum.

In my view Ultimate Rewards does not yet warrant a separate forum:

American Express Membership Rewards is available worldwide. The USA version has 15 airline partners and 6 hotel chain partners.

Diners Club Rewards is available worldwide. The USA version has 15 airline partners, 7 hotel chain partners, and one railroad.

Chase Ultimate Rewards is a USA-only program with 4 airline partners, 3 hotel chains and 1 railroad. It's an aggregation of Chase's existing card issuing relationships. (Chase is the affinity card issuer for all except one of the UR partners.) American Express and Diners offer frequent transfer bonus promotions; Ultimate Rewards does not.
I think the number of transfer partners is a useless metric. There is definitely a lot of interest in the Chase UR program, and lets not forget that the amex MR forum is used for more than just the MR program. Chase may not have a lot of transfer bonuses, but they sure have a lot of promotions on the earning side.

Just my two cents.
cvarming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 12, 10:10 am   #7
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: ORD
Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Posts: 3,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramalama8 View Post
I came looking for info on the Chase Ultimate Rewards program and I figured I'd find something similar to the American Express Membership Rewards forum. Nope. Only Chase stuff intermingled with other programs in this general credit card forum.

I submit that Chase Ultimate Rewards is now becoming popular enough that it should have it's own forum. What do you think?
+1

Second that. Chase cards are really growing fast.
HMPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 12, 10:12 am   #8
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: IAD/DCA
Posts: 21,509
American Express Membership Rewards 9,822 113,844
Diners Club Club Rewards 1,435 12,022

Credit Card Programs 5,143 71,178

chase in thread title after jan 1 2010 - 255
Kagehitokiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 12, 10:14 am   #9
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: ORD
Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Posts: 3,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvarming View Post
I think the number of transfer partners is a useless metric. There is definitely a lot of interest in the Chase UR program, and lets not forget that the amex MR forum is used for more than just the MR program. Chase may not have a lot of transfer bonuses, but they sure have a lot of promotions on the earning side.

Just my two cents.
Mod's explanation has cold logic....true at this level.

However it appears taht Chase is "going aftr" the AMEX cutomers.

If there were a dedicated forum, participation here may / will increase, forcing Chase to pay more attention and add to the CUSTOMER friendly features.
HMPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 12, 9:15 pm   #10
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: CVG
Posts: 14,128
I think that there's an amount of interest in Chase UR on Flyertalk that is a bit overblown due to the plugs for the card from various bloggers associated (or formerly associated) with Flyertalk.

While I'm not opposed to the idea of Chase getting its own forum, at this point Chase UR is still pretty new and who knows if it will last (think Citi with its Thank You Points).

AMEX and its MR has been around for a long time and not really expected to go anywhere.
peteropny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 12, 9:54 pm   #11
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Anywhere I need to be.
Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP
Posts: 13,889
If Chase gets its own forum, then so should Citi, C1, RBC, TD, HSBC.....
__________________
RIP AA. 1934-9 Dec 2013.
AA_EXP09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 12, 9:56 am   #12
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Dallas, TX
Programs: AA EXP, WN A-List & CP, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Avis CC
Posts: 1,220
So I guess my question is then what determines when a program gets its own forum?
ramalama8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 12, 10:39 am   #13
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Miami & London
Programs: AA 2MM Perpetual Platinum; HH & SPG Gold
Posts: 20,996
Flyertalk is a travel site, not a credit card board. FlyerTalk card discussions are organized by program, not by vendor. Chase is an affinity card issuer for three airlines and three hotel chains, but these companies use other card issuers in other countries and primary discussion of co-branded cards belongs in the airline or hotel program forum.

Most "Chase" threads in Credit Card Programs are not about Ultimate Rewards, they are about the process of applying for cards to earn new account bonuses, about churning (and these threads have a high level of repetition). There are only 37 threads in the past 12 months with "Ultimate Rewards" or "UR" in the title.

There is a different character to the discussions about Ultimate Rewards vs Membership Rewards or Club Rewards. Much of this is dictated by the simplicity of Chase's program: with only one airline partner per alliance, no history of transfer bonuses, and no international versions, there simply isn't as much to learn. (This is an observation, not a criticism. It's a nice program.)
mia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 12, 12:04 pm   #14
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Home
Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Posts: 7,234
Quote:
Originally Posted by mia View Post
Flyertalk is a travel site, not a credit card board.
This nails it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramalama8 View Post
So I guess my question is then what determines when a program gets its own forum?
If you have to ask, this.
lin821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 12, 1:36 pm   #15
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: IAD/DCA
Posts: 21,509
there should be some kind of script that automatically posts this in every new forum thread >
What is the TalkBoard and How are New Forums and Other Suggestions Considered?
Kagehitokiri is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 4:55 pm.