FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TalkBoard Topics (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkboard-topics-382/)
-   -   Separate AmEx forum - why no Chase UR forum? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkboard-topics/1324355-separate-amex-forum-why-no-chase-ur-forum.html)

ramalama8 Mar 13, 2012 9:14 am

Separate AmEx forum - why no Chase UR forum?

I came looking for info on the Chase Ultimate Rewards program and I figured I'd find something similar to the American Express Membership Rewards forum. Nope. Only Chase stuff intermingled with other programs in this general credit card forum.

I submit that Chase Ultimate Rewards is now becoming popular enough that it should have it's own forum. What do you think?

cvarming Mar 13, 2012 9:20 am

I think Chase UR has grown and I think it generates enough interest to warrant a separate forum.

mia Mar 13, 2012 9:35 am

Moderator action

Creation of new forums is a topic for Talkboard to consider, and the thread has been moved to that forum.

In my view Ultimate Rewards does not yet warrant a separate forum:

American Express Membership Rewards is available worldwide. The USA version has 15 airline partners and 6 hotel chain partners.

Diners Club Rewards is available worldwide. The USA version has 15 airline partners, 7 hotel chain partners, and one railroad.

Chase Ultimate Rewards is a USA-only program with 4 airline partners, 3 hotel chains and 1 railroad. It's an aggregation of Chase's existing card issuing relationships. (Chase is the affinity card issuer for all except one of the UR partners.) American Express and Diners offer frequent transfer bonus promotions; Ultimate Rewards does not.

zb1965 Mar 13, 2012 9:46 am

Originally Posted by mia (Post 18191557)
Creation of new forums is a topic for Talkboard to consider, and the thread has been moved to that forum.

American Express Membership Rewards is available worldwide. The USA version has 15 airline partners and 6 hotel chain partners.

Diners Club Rewards is available worldwide. The USA version has 15 airline partners, 7 hotel chain partners, and one railroad.

Chase Ultimate Rewards is a USA-only program with 4 airline partners, 3 hotel chains and 1 railroad. It's an aggregation of Chase's existing card issuing relationships. (Chase is the affinity card issuer for all except one of the UR partners.) American Express and Diners offer frequent transfer bonus promotions; Ultimate Rewards does not.

I still don't see the reason why UR should not be separate.

ramalama8 Mar 13, 2012 10:07 am

Understood. But when you look at the popularity of the program both in terms of amount of discussion it generates and that virtually every points blogger is calling this their new favorite program, it may be worth it to get out ahead of the curve.

Plus, Diners Club? I mean, sure, it's been around for a long while, but it's dying. If they have their own forum, I would certainly think that UR would qualify as well.

cvarming Mar 13, 2012 10:08 am

I think the number of transfer partners is a useless metric. There is definitely a lot of interest in the Chase UR program, and lets not forget that the amex MR forum is used for more than just the MR program. Chase may not have a lot of transfer bonuses, but they sure have a lot of promotions on the earning side.

Just my two cents.

HMPS Mar 13, 2012 10:10 am

Originally Posted by ramalama8 (Post 18191382)
I came looking for info on the Chase Ultimate Rewards program and I figured I'd find something similar to the American Express Membership Rewards forum. Nope. Only Chase stuff intermingled with other programs in this general credit card forum.

I submit that Chase Ultimate Rewards is now becoming popular enough that it should have it's own forum. What do you think?

+1

Second that. Chase cards are really growing fast.

Kagehitokiri Mar 13, 2012 10:12 am

American Express Membership Rewards 9,822 113,844
Diners Club Club Rewards 1,435 12,022

Credit Card Programs 5,143 71,178

chase in thread title after jan 1 2010 - 255

HMPS Mar 13, 2012 10:14 am

Originally Posted by cvarming (Post 18191820)
I think the number of transfer partners is a useless metric. There is definitely a lot of interest in the Chase UR program, and lets not forget that the amex MR forum is used for more than just the MR program. Chase may not have a lot of transfer bonuses, but they sure have a lot of promotions on the earning side.

Just my two cents.

Mod's explanation has cold logic....true at this level.

However it appears taht Chase is "going aftr" the AMEX cutomers.

If there were a dedicated forum, participation here may / will increase, forcing Chase to pay more attention and add to the CUSTOMER friendly features.

peteropny Mar 13, 2012 9:15 pm

I think that there's an amount of interest in Chase UR on Flyertalk that is a bit overblown due to the plugs for the card from various bloggers associated (or formerly associated) with Flyertalk.

While I'm not opposed to the idea of Chase getting its own forum, at this point Chase UR is still pretty new and who knows if it will last (think Citi with its Thank You Points).

AMEX and its MR has been around for a long time and not really expected to go anywhere.

AA_EXP09 Mar 13, 2012 9:54 pm

If Chase gets its own forum, then so should Citi, C1, RBC, TD, HSBC.....

ramalama8 Mar 14, 2012 9:56 am

So I guess my question is then what determines when a program gets its own forum?

mia Mar 14, 2012 10:39 am

Flyertalk is a travel site, not a credit card board. FlyerTalk card discussions are organized by program, not by vendor. Chase is an affinity card issuer for three airlines and three hotel chains, but these companies use other card issuers in other countries and primary discussion of co-branded cards belongs in the airline or hotel program forum.

Most "Chase" threads in Credit Card Programs are not about Ultimate Rewards, they are about the process of applying for cards to earn new account bonuses, about churning (and these threads have a high level of repetition). There are only 37 threads in the past 12 months with "Ultimate Rewards" or "UR" in the title.

There is a different character to the discussions about Ultimate Rewards vs Membership Rewards or Club Rewards. Much of this is dictated by the simplicity of Chase's program: with only one airline partner per alliance, no history of transfer bonuses, and no international versions, there simply isn't as much to learn. (This is an observation, not a criticism. It's a nice program.)

lin821 Mar 14, 2012 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by mia (Post 18199495)
Flyertalk is a travel site, not a credit card board.

This nails it. ^

Originally Posted by ramalama8 (Post 18199216)
So I guess my question is then what determines when a program gets its own forum?

If you have to ask, this.

Kagehitokiri Mar 14, 2012 1:36 pm

there should be some kind of script that automatically posts this in every new forum thread >
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkb...onsidered.html