Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

Separate AmEx forum - why no Chase UR forum?

Separate AmEx forum - why no Chase UR forum?

Old Mar 22, 2012, 4:54 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Plat; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by millere2
Although I think you could use Marriott points at the Ritz anyway before? I never stay at either one so I am not sure.
Marriott and Ritz points are really the same. No difference.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 8:20 pm

Programs: AS, AA Gold, and Hilton
[QUOTE=mia;18199495]Flyertalk is a travel site, not a credit card board. ^

Many forget that this is a travel site. Some use it for their personel CC referral site or churn site.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 10:05 am

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Originally Posted by jjmiller69
Many forget that this is a travel site. Some use it for their personel CC referral site...
This recent discussion thread echos your sentiment (and mine):

Can the TB revisit the Commercial links in Signatures issue?

Last edited by lin821; Apr 23, 2012 at 3:28 am Reason: fixing thread link
Old Apr 26, 2012, 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Flyertalk is a travel site, not a credit card board.
Agree with you 100%. But, why did a moderator create a thread about the Apple gift card from Fidelity? http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...cards-etc.html
What do Apple gift cards have to do with travelling? At least FTers are utilizing Chase UR to maximize FF miles. Apple gift cards? I don't think so...
Old Apr 27, 2012, 8:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Ducati
Agree with you 100%. But, why did a moderator create a thread about the Apple gift card from Fidelity? http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...cards-etc.html
What do Apple gift cards have to do with travelling? At least FTers are utilizing Chase UR to maximize FF miles. Apple gift cards? I don't think so...
My 'guess' (and it's only that) is that the mod started the thread you reference in the MilesBuzz forum to keep the other ones about miles & points. Probably should be switched to the S.P.A.M. forum.

Cheers.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
My 'guess' (and it's only that) is that the mod started the thread you reference in the MilesBuzz forum to keep the other ones about miles & points. Probably should be switched to the S.P.A.M. forum.

Cheers.
My point is that mods expect us to follow the rules, but apparantly these same rules don't apply to them.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 6:23 am

My point is that mods expect us to follow the rules, but apparantly these same rules don't apply to them.
"Your point" is not under TB's purview. Not to mention any specific moderation action/decision is NOT open for public discussion.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 6:23 am

Programs: AC
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
If Chase gets its own forum, then so should Citi, C1, RBC, TD, HSBC.....
Lots of people are using chase to "chase" Hotel or FF pts now with convertability.
Don't think the request is unreasonable....
Old Apr 29, 2012, 5:28 pm

Programs: Hyatt Platinum, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, MileagePlus Silver & Others.
Originally Posted by lin821
My reply was to your question:

If you had took time skimming the forum sticky before starting this very thread, you would have known the answers to your very own question. By the way you asked your question, it appears you didn't read nor know it existed. Those criteria were established in Feb 2009, after your FT join date, so I don't think you may say it's before "your time."

Nothing personal, but you are not the first and will not be the last FTer who proposes a new forum without reading the sticky. That's why I said what I said in post#18. Please understand the frustration among those of us who frequent TB Topics Forum and read threads that repeatedly do not follow the game plan set for this forum. Over the years, I have been pointing out that link numerous times to those who have ideas for new fora. I tend to point out making good arguments are the best way to sell a proposal. Shooting the messenger won't help.

Personally, I don't think it's too much to ask for someone to post in this forum to at least read the sticky thread/s. And I thought it's polite to say "if you have to ask" without assigning any blame, especially it is the 1st sticky thread with only 3, abeit long, posts. YMMV.

I am sure TBers will be looking forward to your thought-out proposal that addresses all those criteria when you find time. Good luck!
I think you might be where bureaucracies go to buy red-tape. The IRS tax code seems less problematic than the hoops you'd like people to jump through just to start a discussion. Clearly enough of the FT membership felt/feel that a separate forum for UR/Chase is warranted to at least...discuss the idea in the informal method they were doing.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by suspire
Clearly enough of the FT membership felt/feel that a separate forum for UR/Chase is warranted to at least...
(underline mine)

How many FTers "felt/feel" that way, may I ask? And how many is "enough of the FT membership?"

Apparently, it's not that clear to me.

I am still patiently waiting for those in the pro camp to provide strong enough arguments to establish such forum.

I think you might be where bureaucracies go to buy red-tape. The IRS tax code seems less problematic than the hoops you'd like people to jump through just to start a discussion.
FWIW, I didn't write up the guidelines. Please don't shoot the messenger.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 6:30 pm

Programs: Hyatt Platinum, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, MileagePlus Silver & Others.
Originally Posted by lin821
(underline mine)

How many FTers "felt/feel" that way, may I ask? And how many is "enough of the FT membership?"

Apparently, it's not that clear to me.

I am still patiently waiting for those in the pro camp to provide strong enough arguments to establish such forum.

FWIW, I didn't write up the guidelines. Please don't shoot the messenger.
I'm not shooting the messenger. But you seem either awfully smug or rather anal about the rules when even the moderators (as far as I can tell, you aren't a mod--correct me if I am wrong) don't seem particularly worried and where even Mia implied she enjoyed the differing point of view.

I am just not sure why you posted so many times about the rules and in a school marmish way of rapping people's knuckles and pointing us to Post 3754566 in Thread Alpha-Zebra-Foxtrot-Charlie--that's what puzzles me. It was easy enough to just ignore the thread, since it's not like there are a ton of threads sprouting up (unlike a week ago, where every other thread was entitled 'OMG Chase is going to shut us all down') on the topic. It's a single thread and several people were discussing the idea. Your posts just came across as...unnecessarily trying to assert authority and power.

As for how many FTers feel an informal discussion is warranted on the need for a UR forum(which is my full quote--not that enough FTers feel there should be a UR forum)--I don't know. I was actually enjoying reading the discussion--without feeling the need to post to the thread--until it seemed to get killed. Which may be because the pro-UR camp feels daunted by having to take the time to put together a formal proposal in triplicate.

Who knows. I don't feel passionately on the topic, but I just felt you were being unnecessarily snarky.

And for the record: I think an UR-specific forum is a good idea because the program is broad enough with enough cards tied into the program to warrant it. As a primary Chase UR user, I'd prefer a forum dedicated to it so I wouldn't have to sift through a lot of other posts. As simple as that, but I'm not sure if I posted my argument in the correct fashion under the correct protocols.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 12:33 am

As for how many FTers feel an informal discussion is warranted on the need for a UR forum(which is my full quote--not that enough FTers feel there should be a UR forum)--I don't know. I was actually enjoying reading the discussion--without feeling the need to post to the thread--until it seemed to get killed. Which may be because the pro-UR camp feels daunted by having to take the time to put together a formal proposal in triplicate.
Just read TalbBoard Topics Forum more regularly and you'll see what makes an active discussion TB thread. A popular idea or proposal simply doesn't "get killed" in TB Forum and/or on FT.

Who knows. I don't feel passionately on the topic, but I just felt you were being unnecessarily snarky.
IMHO, usually that's what "kills" the discussion: lack of participation from either side of the camp. Even the OP hasn't returned to this thread to fully explain himself. YMMV.

Originally Posted by ramalama8
Not appreciative of the snide undertone, but I do appreciate the link. I actually looked through all of the criteria and the guidelines are not at all definitive in ruling out Chase UR. In fact, based on these guidelines, I think I could make a pretty good case that the UR program is a pretty good candidate for a new forum. If I get a bit more time later today, I might make a point-by-point case toward that end.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 7:28 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
I am not a moderator in this forum, nor in Miles Buzz, but I can tell you that the correct way to raise this question is directly with the moderator who created the thread. There are two methods:

1. Click the triangular Alert icon in the lower left corner of the post. This will submit your message directly to all of the Miles Buzz moderators.

2. Send a Flyertalk Private Message to the individual moderator who started the thread.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 8:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
In reading this thread (and taking out the multiple TB guideline & moderator comments and only counting first time yes/no/maybe comments), it seems that FTers are about equal in the yes we should have a Chase UR forum/no we shouldn't have one, with a couple in the maybe category.

Cheers.
Old May 1, 2012, 10:57 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Plat; Hilton Diamond
I've been noticing quite a few "UR" mentions in the CC forum (on both sides of trade requests.) I would take that as an indication that there are a number of folks both accumulating and wanting to use UR points here on FT. So I would think there is "interest" within the FT user base.

And while I tend to agree with SkiAdcock that "just because the other guy (Amex) has one isn't a strong enough case", that PLUS what seems to be an "interest" from the FT userbase does make it a possible forum addition.

Personally, I wouldn't think it would be a bad thing to give UR its own forum and see how it goes.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.