Reload this Page >

Motion Passed: Create Frequent Travel Tools & Services Forum

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Motion Passed: Create Frequent Travel Tools & Services Forum

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2012, 7:10 pm

never mind, alert sent to mods requesting merger from the other thread to this one, we're repeating the discussion there. pls delete this post.

-David
Old Mar 18, 2012, 7:33 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by HMPS
+++1. !

My sense /fear is that this will be overcrowded with commercial content, making it very difficult / time consuming effort for the members.

have you noticed the duplication to n th degree in variou blogs ?
No, I don't foresee an overcrowding of commercial content as I do agree in the centralization as it will be a one stop shop for the member which is a good thing as then everyone knows where/what forum (and sub-forum) to look in. I'm still not convinced what there is for F/t to gain-yes members reap the benefits ^ but what does "Flyertalk Corporate" reap as we're basically giving free advertising. Now if someone can tell me that it is IB's policy to allow forums for commercial ventures on FT gratis, then you have my vote. There I said it-what is in it financially for F/T-IB?

pete4212 makes an excellent argument ^ in favor here but i disagree with one part of his post

....Right now, tool owners have an incentive to (and do) spam as many forums as possible with "official" threads about their tool or service to get as wide a reach, and as many eyeballs, as possible....
with my comment being: "And should that in itself be allowed?". And then there's the transition/moving of the threads-who makes that decision and how is it done?

Originally Posted by LIH Prem
What should we do about the commercial services that currently post here on FT? This is already happening, the proposal simply controls where it goes.

We don't lose the ability to manage who posts and who doesn't post and we'll be able to moderate the new forum within the accepted guidelines the community already has. (goalie Dave, didn't TB have that discussion?)

If the service doesn't benefit the community, then they can't post in the context of proving information to the community. That doesn't change with this proposal.

I don't think we can afford to ignore what's already happening.

I guess I don't understand the emotional response.

-David
Bolding mine: And which imho was not done properly in some cases shouldn't have happened at all as with that a Pandora's Box has been opened. Maybe I'm gonna get myself in TB trouble for saying this but some motions are good (and some very good) but others imho, can be worse than the TSA's knee-jerk reaction to something and proving how inept they are (you know, freedom baggies and having to say your name to the TSO who is reviewing your I/D and BP) as no one bothered to look at the big picture. Yes I'm playing devils advocate and I wish more folks would do the same as when something looks good on its face and everyone is rah-rah, you step back and look at it-look at it from a corporate view and then look at it as to how can/could it negatively impact the general membership? The latter is a no brainer that it's a win but it's the former that I'm still hung up on.

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
There are currently many for profit services that are obviously money savers that FTers currently use. I guess the proposal here is to formally proceed with a forum format for useful for profit services. Those services for profit but clearly not useful will be commented on and evaluated ongoing. Even dialogue for not so useful services would be useful.

But I agree, what sort of parameters should be set before proceeding, and what legal ramifications exist? These and perhaps other areas should be evaluated before proceeding.
And who "comments and evaluates"? But the last sentence in your post which I also bolded goes hand-in hand with what I posted above as a response to my esteemed million mile flier living in paradise
Old Mar 18, 2012, 7:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by goalie
And who "comments and evaluates"? But the last sentence in your post which I also bolded goes hand-in hand with what I posted above as a response to my esteemed million mile flier living in paradise
Lol

In laymen's terms, those for profit services not useful, will experience a beat down.:-:
Old Mar 18, 2012, 7:49 pm

And which imho was not done properly in some cases shouldn't have happened at all as with that a Pandora's Box has been opened.
I can't do anything about the past, Dave. The question is what can we do now?

I think we manage it for the benefit of the community.

For the rest of it, I have no idea what you are arguing for or against.

-David
Old Mar 18, 2012, 8:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
I'm still not convinced what there is for F/t to gain-yes members reap the benefits ^ but what does "Flyertalk Corporate" reap as we're basically giving free advertising. Now if someone can tell me that it is IB's policy to allow forums for commercial ventures on FT gratis, then you have my vote. There I said it-what is in it financially for F/T-IB?
What does it matter? The profits of FlyerTalk and/or Internet Brands have never been under the purview of the TalkBoard, as they rightly shouldn't be. The TalkBoard represents only the FlyerTalk membership.

I take no stand on your vote, but I will make the observation that voting against this because it doesn't enhance the profit margins of Internet Brands while also admitting it does enhance the experience for FlyerTalk members seems to call into question what the TalkBoard stands for and who the TalkBoard represents.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 1:39 am

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by jackal
I'm still not convinced what there is for F/t to gain-yes members reap the benefits ^ but what does "Flyertalk Corporate" reap as we're basically giving free advertising. Now if someone can tell me that it is IB's policy to allow forums for commercial ventures on FT gratis, then you have my vote. There I said it-what is in it financially for F/T-IB?
What does it matter? The profits of FlyerTalk and/or Internet Brands have never been under the purview of the TalkBoard, as they rightly shouldn't be. The TalkBoard represents only the FlyerTalk membership.

I take no stand on your vote, but I will make the observation that voting against this because it doesn't enhance the profit margins of Internet Brands while also admitting it does enhance the experience for FlyerTalk members seems to call into question what the TalkBoard stands for and who the TalkBoard represents.
I'm asking simply because I'd like to know-both as a member of F/t and as a TB member if F/t is giving away free advertising-but no one can give me/or is willing to give me an answer. I know that the membership gains from this whether centralized or not and centralization IS better-I just think that not enough homework has been done on this however, with that being said, I have rec'd pm's from members asking me to vote in favor and have read and re-read all the posts and where I was elected to serve all if F/t, I have cast my vote in favor.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 8:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Motion passed...

On March 19, 2012, Talkboard passed 7-1-1:

"TalkBoard recommends that a Frequent Travel Tools & Services forum be created that:

* allows the centralized discussion of any tool, service or software that is frequent travel related,
* allows links to that tool, service or software's web site by any FlyerTalker,
prohibits direct sales on FT for frequent travel related tools and services as spam
*lets the members decide what they want to talk about in terms of those tools without undue influence by the tool and service providers nor artificial limits imposed by FlyerTalk
* allows but does not require participation by the owner/provider of the tools and services, including a ‘master thread’ regarding a provider’s tool or service started by the provider
* allows online booking/bidding threads to be moved to the FT online booking/bidding forum and hardware and more general software technology not directly related to frequent travel tools and services threads to be moved to the FT Travel Tech forum.

The vision of the TalkBoard is that this forum exist for discussion of the frequent travel tools and services that Flyertalkers want to talk about and use."

Voting Yes: bhatnasx, cholula, goalie, kokonutz, nsx, RichMsn, SkiAdcock
Voting No: Spiff
Abstain: jackal
Old Mar 19, 2012, 8:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Just a fyi. jackal posted in the private forum why he abstained and it was (IMO) a valid reason. He said he was going to post in the public forum as well to let you all know his reasoning, but I know he's busy with a relocation at the moment. Presumably he'll be on at some point to explain, but it wasn't to game the system or do a coward's no.

Cheers.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 10:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Thanks, Sharon.

I abstained in order to avoid any potential conflict of interest. My new employer has the potential to be affected by the presence of this forum, so it would not have been fair of me to cast a vote on this motion.

Plus, I get to claim to be the first person to legitimately abstain under the new and improved abstention rules. Previously, I would have been conflicted about casting an "abstain" vote, as it would have, in effect, been a "no" vote and consequently, I would be taking an active stand on the issue. My only recourse under the previous rules would have been to not vote, which came with its own set of negative consequences. With the new rules truly ensuring that an abstention has no bearing on the outcome of the vote and isn't simply a "coward's no," I have no conflict about abstaining from the vote, and it was the clear choice for me to make.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 5:47 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Thanks, Sharon.

I abstained in order to avoid any potential conflict of interest. My new employer has the potential to be affected by the presence of this forum, so it would not have been fair of me to cast a vote on this motion.

Plus, I get to claim to be the first person to legitimately abstain under the new and improved abstention rules. Previously, I would have been conflicted about casting an "abstain" vote, as it would have, in effect, been a "no" vote and consequently, I would be taking an active stand on the issue. My only recourse under the previous rules would have been to not vote, which came with its own set of negative consequences. With the new rules truly ensuring that an abstention has no bearing on the outcome of the vote and isn't simply a "coward's no," I have no conflict about abstaining from the vote, and it was the clear choice for me to make.
I look forward to reading about your new employer in the new forum! ^
Old Mar 20, 2012, 8:54 pm

Thanks, Sharon.

I applaud your honesty ^. Have a Tootsie-Pop®
Old Mar 20, 2012, 10:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Thanks, Sharon.

Good for you to recognize when a conflict exists. It does take courage to do the right thing, even when negative perception is there.^
Old Mar 21, 2012, 6:38 am

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Thanks, Sharon.

Thank you for taking the time to explain why you abstained.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 7:35 pm
Community Director Emerita

Open for use:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...ead-first.html
Old Apr 3, 2012, 11:10 am
Suspended

Programs: Gold, plat, diamond and more
This was another great move by the current TB^

btw, am I the only one to wonder how it is possible to represent the membership by voting no to proposals WITHOUT bothering to, pre or post vote, explain?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.