Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

Motion Failed: Require Login to View Mileage Run Forum

Motion Failed: Require Login to View Mileage Run Forum

Old Feb 16, 2012, 9:23 pm

Programs: UAL, Hawaiian, Hilton, AMEX
Count me on the side of the supporters.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 11:21 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Completely in favor. These give truly material benefit to a variety of people, not just to those willing to engage in discussion on specific programs (which would require a log in anyway). FT would see member numbers go up and we would see fewer quick deaths to deals. I would also favor locking out company reps from the Mileage Run forums.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 11:38 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by travelkid
Its clear the protection is very limited, but its a step in the right direction. You are noe even willing to try to sustain the deals.
Your above claim about me is simply false, as I do try to sustain deals or even recover them when possible. I am just not willing to advocate on behalf of ineffective -- occassionally even countereffective -- means.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 12:39 am

Programs: BA Rewards
I am in support of the motion.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 2:13 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
+1 to pretty much everything that HansGolden has said so far.

I support this motion.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 4:32 am
Suspended

Programs: Gold, plat, diamond and more
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Your above claim about me is simply false, as I do try to sustain deals or even recover them when possible. I am just not willing to advocate on behalf of ineffective -- occassionally even countereffective -- means.
Im glad to hear. What are your suggestions to protect the deals?

Im not sure if you mean the proposal is countereffective? How?

Noone has claimed its effective, but it surely has at least a limited effect, no?
Old Feb 17, 2012, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by HansGolden
(We live in an ADD world as we all know by our legions of non-FT friends that don't take 30 minutes to sign up for 100k Chase BA jackpots.)
Don't forget the legion of FT friends who do take the 30 minutes but don't take the extra 5 minutes to research how the BA program (and most/all other European FFPs) work, then show up over on the BA board and post a rant about how their two "free" roundtrips from LAX-LHR cost $1,100 in taxes and fees, when they should have used them for four free roundtrip upgrades from premium economy to business or two from business to first.

Back on topic, it seems like a minimal hurdle for people to register in order to see the great deals that are offered and filter search engines. It benefits the regular FT members and does not greatly inconvenience members of the public.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 7:49 am
formerly BackSlash3

Programs: AC P25, Marriott Gold, IHG Diamond AMB
Lockdown

I think the question we have to ask here is "Is the flyertalk community limited only to people who log-in?"

I see FT increasingly getting locked down in favour of a smallish group of insiders over the greater community at large. I would wager that for every insider (high post count individuals) there are 30 people who log-in but are casual flyertalkers, and upwards of 1000 people who don't login but read the forums.

It seems like the effect of requiring registration is to limit the mileage run forums to a smaller core audience of "more committed" flyertalkers. While this isn't up for vote right now, the support for a post minimum for the forum is worrying.

I would find it hard to believe that with the speed that deals get saturated that anyone is finding them on Google. I read the forum via RSS feed and sometimes don't see threads until after they're "FARE GONE".

Furthermore, it would seem that this would break RSS functionality for that forum. Either that or I would have to pass my username and password in cleartext in the RSS URL for it to work.

I don't think that FT should be limited to a smaller core audience just because the core audience wants the goodies to themselves.

I modestly propose that anyone be able to post to the mileage run deals forum, but only talkboard members be able to read it.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by BackSlash3
I think the question we have to ask here is "Is the flyertalk community limited only to people who log-in?"

I see FT increasingly getting locked down in favour of a smallish group of insiders over the greater community at large. I would wager that for every insider (high post count individuals) there are 30 people who log-in but are casual flyertalkers, and upwards of 1000 people who don't login but read the forums.

It seems like the effect of requiring registration is to limit the mileage run forums to a smaller core audience of "more committed" flyertalkers. While this isn't up for vote right now, the support for a post minimum for the forum is worrying.

I would find it hard to believe that with the speed that deals get saturated that anyone is finding them on Google. I read the forum via RSS feed and sometimes don't see threads until after they're "FARE GONE".

Furthermore, it would seem that this would break RSS functionality for that forum. Either that or I would have to pass my username and password in cleartext in the RSS URL for it to work.

I don't think that FT should be limited to a smaller core audience just because the core audience wants the goodies to themselves.

I modestly propose that anyone be able to post to the mileage run deals forum, but only talkboard members be able to read it.
I see nothing wrong with limiting information to people who participate and become part of the community. And this measure is only requiring a minute-long registration, *not* a post count minimum.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 8:13 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
Look at the grouse!

You mean Famous Grouse Scotch Whisky?
No, the famous "Trinity" Grouse

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiXcPj6AkXY
Old Feb 17, 2012, 8:38 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by RichMSN
I see nothing wrong with limiting information to people who participate and become part of the community. And this measure is only requiring a minute-long registration, *not* a post count minimum.
Why not a post count minimum along with the requirement to be logged into FT? Why not expand this approach to all of FT? There are deals and various "tricks" which do get posted in the airline and hotel program forums on FT too. Shouldn't those be "protected" too?
Old Feb 17, 2012, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Why not a post count minimum along with the requirement to be logged into FT? Why not expand this approach to all of FT? There are deals and various "tricks" which do get posted in the airline and hotel program forums on FT too. Shouldn't those be "protected" too?
No.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 8:48 am
Original Member, Ambassador: OneWorld Alliance

Programs: AA ExecPlat & 3MM; Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by BackSlash3

Sorry, but if you are unwilling to register, how are you part of the "community at large"? What is the biological term for those who benefit but don't contribute...

If the motion was for thousands of posts and years of membership your argument might have some basis, as it stands you it seems that you are making something that looks a lot like a Straw man argument.

I'm in support of this motion.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 9:33 am

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
supporting
Old Feb 17, 2012, 10:07 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Sagy
Sorry, but if you are unwilling to register, how are you part of the "community at large"? What is the biological term for those who benefit but don't contribute...

If the motion was for thousands of posts and years of membership your argument might have some basis, as it stands you it seems that you are making something that looks a lot like a Straw man argument.

I'm in support of this motion.
This motion is not going to just restrict viewing of the forum to those registered as FTers.

This motion would also involve blocking the forum visibility even from registered and heavily contributing members except during the period of time in which such FTers are logged into FT under their FT handle.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.