Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

Motion Failed: Require Login to View Mileage Run Forum

Motion Failed: Require Login to View Mileage Run Forum

Old Feb 16, 2012, 1:49 pm

Programs: AA Executive PLatinum CO Platinum DL Gold Hyatt Diamond Hilton no more :)
one thing leads to another.....

I'm for this ^ It may not do too much, but its a start. A year from now, I'm sure this subject will be discussed again, hopefully with some hindsight we will be able to look at things from a different point of view.

One problem that hasnt been mentioned is the effect that some of these deals create. Recently a few tricked fares got into the deals thread. (please no arguements on where they belong) When this happens, the vast difference in price (minus extras) usually causes a feeding frenzy or Pig Pile.
With all the feeds going out worldwide the airlines Close these within 24hrs.
Unfortunately, sometimes what they do effects other "things" if you get my drift. Some of these "things" have been around (and nurtured) for many months.
I am one of the few people in the special savings thread that can find "NEW" things, or workarounds for some of these .......ized temporary FIXXes put in place when the airline wants to shut one of these down. Its very time consuming. Sometimes I wonder if its worth it, but my community spirit usually wins out.

So as some of you prepare to vote, please consider that sometimes a flash type fare deal does effect other "things" that a lot of people seem to have overlooked in their opposition. Cheers

Last edited by giggy; Feb 16, 2012 at 2:02 pm
Old Feb 16, 2012, 1:52 pm

Thumbs up I am in favour of this motion.

The simple sign-up and login process will keep the limited access deals more accessible to those of us who have chosen to join the team.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 2:02 pm

Programs: AA ExP
Originally Posted by Prospero
I'd appreciate it if one of our experts here could explain (in layperson's language please ) what it is search engines, such as Google, do to mine information from open forums and how this information is churned to the detriment of FT members?
Well, I don't claim to be an expert. I've done SEO and worked with website admin, but I'm fairly entry level in both. Basically the main downside (that I'm aware of) of Google indexing MR Deals is that it simply offers more exposure to mistake deals, which inevitably kills them (unless the company is totally asleep at the wheel). It's not so much the SE access by itself kills stuff, but it's the whole package of public vs. private. Cholula did a great job of describing it in layman's terms:
Originally Posted by Cholula
The current system is vaguely akin to someone peeping through the windows into your house IMO. I'd not be too crazy about that. But knock on the door, tell me your name and the chances are pretty good I'll let you in to look around.
It's the difference between posting something on a billboard in Times Square where any bored passerby can take a peek vs. putting it inside a building in said square, but requiring people to sign the guestbook before them come in. Even with hawkers outside the door screaming about the great stuff inside, few people* will bother coming in to take a look because it means the minor hurdle of signing. On the other hands, millions of people will lustfully gawk at the half-naked people adorning Times Square and promptly forget which brand supplied their lust with fodder, mind-raping the provider without a bit of gratitude toward the provider. We've seen this happen many times in MR Deals, hordes of passing masses slurping up and killing the truly amazing deals that have hours of labor in them. Requiring registration will move those billboards inside. It's not a silver bullet, but it's a step in the right direction.

As giggy obliquely noted (and actually reminded me of the fact that I had momentarily forgotten), Tricks (or anything) posted in violation of MR Deals TOS in the main forum remain emblazoned permanently in Google Reader's RSS memory even after they are moved or removed by mods (given the current unrestricted arrangement).

* Those few people will be, on balance, the kinds of people we want.

Last edited by HansGolden; Feb 16, 2012 at 4:37 pm Reason: Added * point; added (given the current unrestricted arrangement)
Old Feb 16, 2012, 2:26 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by HansGolden

It's the difference between posting something on a billboard in Times Square where any bored passerby can take a peek vs. putting it inside a building in said square, but requiring people to sign the guestbook before them come in. Even with hawkers outside the door screaming about the great stuff inside, few people* will bother coming in to take a look because it means the minor hurdle of signing. On the other hands, millions of people will lustfully gawk at the half-naked people adorning Times Square and promptly forget which brand supplied their lust with fodder, mind-raping the provider without a bit of gratitude toward the provider. We've seen this happen many times in MR Deals, hordes of passing masses slurping up and killing the truly amazing deals that have hours of labor in them. Requiring registration will move those billboards inside. It's not a silver bullet, but it's a step in the right direction.
That's a better analogy than mine.
Thanks.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 3:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: Gold, plat, diamond and more
This is a motion with my full support. By time I hope the protection get even stronger.

Hopefully GUWonder is right. Its a dead horse now.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 3:07 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Some MR deals only ended up working out so well for so many FTers because interest in the MR deal got the attention of so many non-FTers that the airline backpedaled from earlier decisions to invalidate the deals. Not that I believe any of this will change any one's already made-up decision on this motion.

Over time any "protection" of deals provided by this motion will get weaker. Technology and pursuit of material self-interest or other self-aggrandizement will make sure of that.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 4:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: Gold, plat, diamond and more
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Some MR deals only ended up working out so well for so many FTers because interest in the MR deal got the attention of so many non-FTers that the airline backpedaled from earlier decisions to invalidate the deals. Not that I believe any of this will change any one's already made-up decision on this motion.
It would be nice with examples. BUT having masses in on the deal could contribute to the PR pressure, but the size of revenue loss on a mistake fare could make it impossible to honor. In any case this is not the issue, because the masses wont get in if its killed prematurely by falshing all over. Could as well call the airline to ask?

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Over time any "protection" of deals provided by this motion will get weaker. Technology and pursuit of material self-interest or other self-aggrandizement will make sure of that.
Its clear the protection is very limited, but its a step in the right direction. You are noe even willing to try to sustain the deals.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 4:41 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, DL former Gold, AA, SPG, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Count me in as in favor of requiring log-in for this forum.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by cyclogenesis
I support this motion.. C'mon, if you can't be bothered joining I do not believe you should benefit.. Further more I would be happy with a small number of posts.. Say 20...
ABSOLUTELY - I support it even though I do not have a vote.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 4:49 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by RichMSN
I've voted yes to this proposal.
And I did as well
Old Feb 16, 2012, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Look at the grouse!

You mean Famous Grouse Scotch Whisky?
Old Feb 16, 2012, 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
Me too.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HansGolden
It's the difference between posting something on a billboard in Times Square where any bored passerby can take a peek vs. putting it inside a building in said square, but requiring people to sign the guestbook before them come in. Even with hawkers outside the door screaming about the great stuff inside, few people* will bother coming in to take a look because it means the minor hurdle of signing. On the other hands, millions of people will lustfully gawk at the half-naked people adorning Times Square and promptly forget which brand supplied their lust with fodder, mind-raping the provider without a bit of gratitude toward the provider.
Sometimes the analogy becomes more complex than the concept it's supposed to simplify.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 8:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, any other status I can get via credit card
I support
Old Feb 16, 2012, 9:20 pm

Programs: Lifetime Silver Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
^
I support the motion.

-C (back in my hole)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.