Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Motion Failed: Require Login to View Mileage Run Forum

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2012, 4:36 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Starwood/Marriott, Hilton, IHG
Originally Posted by Cholula
*Unless you looked like jackal and then I'd probably call the cops.
LOL...Great way to end my Friday!
Old Feb 17, 2012, 5:53 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by GUWonder
So when it comes to currently active users of a forum and the display shows "192 (63 members & 129 guests)" as it did a few minutes ago in the MR Deals forum, then the 63 covers FTers -- including those who have choosen to hide their log-in status by way of the FT member profile feature -- while the 129 "guests" includes persons who may or may not be FTers?
To follow up: I had an answer from one of the IB techs that what you aver is indeed the case.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
I agree that one should have to log in to FT to see MR deals.
This way, many of the bloggers who lurk here will slow the spread of the deals.
Trick it should also be blocked IMO to those who haven't logged in.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by N1120A
Completely in favor. These give truly material benefit to a variety of people, not just to those willing to engage in discussion on specific programs (which would require a log in anyway). FT would see member numbers go up and we would see fewer quick deaths to deals. I would also favor locking out company reps from the Mileage Run forums.
But then the company reps could just create a different acct where they aren't posting on behalf of the company.
And what about those companies like KVS which could post availability or fare details?
Old Feb 17, 2012, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Splashdown
The simple sign-up and login process will keep the limited access deals more accessible to those of us who have chosen to join the team.
A very late Welcome to FT!
(I had no idea you existed, because you never posted!)
Old Feb 17, 2012, 7:10 pm

Yes, I support this.

I can't see a problem with logging in to my free account in order to view things that others post for free (even though they might have to do a little or a lot of digging to find them).

The crazy routings that BryanIAH comes up with are entertainment payoff enough!

If a few seconds of extra "effort" on my part can benefit the community, why not do it?

Old Feb 17, 2012, 9:07 pm

Programs: UA 1.5 Million Mile flyer, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz 5* and PC since 1985
Originally Posted by Cholula
All we're asking are two extremely easy steps that all of us have already taken.

Register a handle with FT and log-in.

That's it. Thirty seconds of your time. No mumbo jumbo, smoke, mirrors or parlor tricks involved.

Search bots can't log-in and if the folks who are looking to glean what information that our fellow FT'ers share and can't be bothered to make themselves known, tough luck IMO.

I'm supporting this proposal to the max unless I see overwhelming arguments to the contrary.
+ 1
Old Feb 17, 2012, 9:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
The MR forum moderators wanted to add our support to this motion to make MR available only to those FT members who are signed in. We feel it isn't too high a barrier to restrict those really interested in benefiting from one of FT’s main draws while keeping searchbots out.

jpdx said it well in this thread from almost 2 years ago which was the last time forum access restrictions were debated and approved before later being overturned upon further TB review:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkb...onnection.html

Originally Posted by jpdx
I would suggest that quality is the goal to strive for, even if it comes at the price of restricting access. The MR moderators welcome newbies with open arms, but we need the contributions of experienced posters. The forum becomes worthless if people stop sharing, and become argumentative and secretive.
We appreciate this opportunity to revisit the access debate and hope TB will consider voting in favor of this motion.

On behalf of BiziBB, rcs85551 and jpdx

tcook052
MR Moderator
Old Feb 17, 2012, 9:48 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Nexus, GE
I support this motion. I'd also highly support a higher level of access. Maybe 100 posts and 100 days before access like coupon connection (or whatever that level is now)
Old Feb 17, 2012, 10:10 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by Prospero
I don't think it is possible to determine this with any degree of certainty. There are too many variables at play outwith the control of FlyerTalk. Discussion on other IBBs, the proliferation of blogging activity and greater sophistication by airlines in detecting/monitoring "rough" transactions.

I have no real objection to this proposal. As written it's moderate and doesn't deviate from FT's mission.
It sounds like a reasonable enough change but I'm not sure how effective it will be; seems to be worth trying out.

Often the most popular deals/mistakes seem to hit one or more blogs pretty soon after they're on FT. Many (or nearly all?) of the popular bloggers are members of FT so this change wouldn't have any impact on that "outlet". I suspect there are a fair number of FTers who also belong to other IBBs (SD, etc), as well.
Old Feb 18, 2012, 12:05 am

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by astroflyer
I support this motion. I'd also highly support a higher level of access. Maybe 100 posts and 100 days before access like coupon connection (or whatever that level is now)
+1
Old Feb 18, 2012, 4:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
I support the motion.

I have also read the preceding 7 pages with interest
Old Feb 18, 2012, 4:56 am
Suspended

Programs: Gold, plat, diamond and more
Originally Posted by tcook052
The MR forum moderators wanted to add our support to this motion to make MR available only to those FT members who are signed in.

On behalf of BiziBB, rcs85551 and jpdx

tcook052
MR Moderator
Should convince any TBers on the fence. Great move^
Old Feb 18, 2012, 5:03 am

Programs: OnePass
My vote is against.

My feeling is that information should be free and unrestricted except when absolutely necessary. The arguments for restriction are, in my opinion, not strong enough, and that the consequences of keeping it public are exaggerated.

I often read FlyerTalk as a Guest since I consider it a good habit to not be logged into anything anywhere on the Internet except when necessary. Logging in is a nuisance and a risk since I often use computers that are not mine on a daily basis.

Secondly, there are methods to tell search engines such as Google to exclude content from their searches. Such methods should be explored.

Thank you.
Old Feb 18, 2012, 5:05 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Frankly I think that log in should be required to access any part of this Board. If you cannot be bothered to join then why should you benefit?

I support the motion 100%.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.