Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

Motion Failed: Require Login to View Mileage Run Forum

Motion Failed: Require Login to View Mileage Run Forum

Old Dec 6, 2012, 7:37 am

Programs: EBG4Life, EBD, 1MM
I thought the new Talkboard was obliged to take up the discussion of OMNI post count first. However, it is interesting to note that 2 of the members voting no are no longer on TB.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 7:48 am
Suspended

Programs: Gold, plat, diamond and more
Originally Posted by livious
I thought the new Talkboard was obliged to take up the discussion of OMNI post count first. However, it is interesting to note that 2 of the members voting no are no longer on TB.
Im pretty sure the new TB (at least the new members) are very busy with the takeover, reading up etc, so after a bit more time, Im pretty sure this discussion will air again.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 7:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
I really have no horse in this race as there is no way, ever, I would take a mileage run. I hate being in aluminum tubes and only agree to it because I like arriving in various places and boats are too slow.

That said, this seems like a motion which is excellent for the members and miserable for the owners.

Members want to restrict information as much as possible to cut down on competition for good deals. The owners want to attract as many viewers as possible in the hope that they will click on an ad or two and help IB's bottom line.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Dovster
I really have no horse in this race as there is no way, ever, I would take a mileage run. I hate being in aluminum tubes and only agree to it because I like arriving in various places and boats are too slow.

That said, this seems like a motion which is excellent for the members and miserable for the owners.

Members want to restrict information as much as possible to cut down on competition for good deals. The owners want to attract as many viewers as possible in the hope that they will click on an ad or two and help IB's bottom line.
But if it meant losing status?
Or if miles were <1 cpm and you could use the miles to fly international F
Old Dec 6, 2012, 8:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
But if it meant losing status?
Or if miles were <1 cpm and you could use the miles to fly international F
If Michelle Pfeiffer told me that she would spend an hour with me at the JFK Hilton and then I would get on a return flight to TLV, I would not agree.

Does that answer your question?
Old Dec 6, 2012, 8:58 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
If Michelle Pfeiffer told me that she would spend an hour with me at the JFK Hilton and then I would get on a return flight to TLV, I would not agree.

WOW, you really are serious!!
Old Dec 7, 2012, 8:36 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
At last count, there were over 37 points and miles bloggers, presumably all of whom would have access to a restricted Mileage Run forum and most of whom are monetarily incentivized to draw clicks and reads.

It seems to me that all a mileage run requirement would mean at this point is that newbies would get their info from those blogs instead of from FlyerTalk.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond

Does that answer your question?
Yes.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 12:36 pm

Programs: UA1k; Bonvoy Titanium; Hilton Gold; IHG Gold; AA Plat Pro
I agree...
Old Dec 7, 2012, 1:25 pm

Programs: UA/AA
That's the big joke about the Mileage Run forum. Most who troll there are just looking for good air deals, not mileage runs.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 4:01 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by kokonutz
At last count, there were over 37 points and miles bloggers, presumably all of whom would have access to a restricted Mileage Run forum and most of whom are monetarily incentivized to draw clicks and reads.

It seems to me that all a mileage run requirement would mean at this point is that newbies would get their info from those blogs instead of from FlyerTalk.
That's a really good point, koko. So we might as well give the blogs the ability to link to a FlyerTalk public forum discussion of the particular deal.
Old Dec 8, 2012, 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by kokonutz
As the awareness of FlyerTalk grows in the media, we get a lot of requests from first time posters for help with mileage runs (usually posted in the MR forum, then moved to the MR Discussion forum by the mods). Several per day at this time of year.

Which blogs offer mileage run help, and is closing off the MR forum to new members or to non-members viewing MR help threads, something that is compatible with the commercial interests of IB to monetize FT?

It would seem to me that newbies wouldn't gravitate to blogs, but to other forums where MR help is available, such as MilePoint. Is the role of the TalkBoard to incentivize the use and popularity of FT's commercial competition by restricting access to the MR forum?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.