Search

New forum for fee-happy airlines?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2012, 12:09 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
New forum for fee-happy airlines?

Since the Spirit forum proposal will fail, I would like to explore the interest in creating a forum for airlines that operate on the RyanAir model: loss leader fares with many added fees.

This would be different from the typical FT forum that focuses on one company or one geographic region. Instead it would contain information on how to navigate and even exploit the completely different fare and fee structure that these airlines use.

Reasons to have such a forum include:

1. FTers are unlikely to fly these airlines more than once or twice. We need a convenient way to educate ourselves before booking that trip, not afterwards.

2. We need a place to gripe about the travel experience or to brag about how we beat the system.

3. We will enjoy debating the pros and cons of this business model, especially if the company shills provide entertaining counterpoint.

To me, this is a no-brainer. The hard part is coming up with a fully descriptive name for this forum. I don't think "ultra-low cost carriers" does the job. It has to clarify that these airlines charge fees far in excess of what traditional airlines charge, with the total fees typically exceeding the fare. Maybe something like "Fees > Fare Airlines: Spirit, RyanAir, EasyJet"
Old Feb 15, 2012, 12:21 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
I'm VERY interested in poster input on this proposal.

My prejudice is that geography should trump business model for 'other' airlines.

But I am open to having my prejudice challenged. ^
Old Feb 15, 2012, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Do these airlines even have FT programs?

I agree with the Koko's prejudice. Also, considering that many carriers would be losing money but for added fees, I'm not so sure that these "special" airlines are too far different than the rest of the lot - once upon a time, the concept of Peoples Express was a joke, when in reality, they were just a few years ahead of their time.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 12:37 pm
nsx
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Why would that matter? IMHO the main purpose of the forum is to help us :

a) decide whether or not to use one of these carriers for a trip where they have a convenient flight, and, if we decide to use the carrier

b) avoid spending more money than we need to on the trip.

I doubt that very many FTers would fly these airlines frequently. That makes FF program discussion irrelevant.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 1:05 pm

Programs: UA*S/Club, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by nsx
To me, this is a no-brainer. The hard part is coming up with a fully descriptive name for this forum. I don't think "ultra-low cost carriers" does the job. It has to clarify that these airlines charge fees far in excess of what traditional airlines charge, with the total fees typically exceeding the fare. Maybe something like "Fees > Fare Airlines: Spirit, RyanAir, EasyJet"
I think a decent amount of these threads are captured by the "Budget Travel" forum -- maybe make a sub-forum for "Budget Airlines"?
Old Feb 15, 2012, 1:30 pm
nsx
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Bulldog83
maybe make a sub-forum for "Budget Airlines"?
People look for airlines where all the other airlines are. However IIRC it's possible for a forum to be listed in more than one place, so we should be able to add a Budget Airlines heading that gets you there.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 1:34 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Tricky to define as nowadays all airlines are fee happy to a varying degree. Ryanair, FlyBe and Spirit clearly yes; Easyjet, Delta, United et al less so
Old Feb 15, 2012, 2:26 pm

If such a forum does come to fruition, Allegiant should be grouped together with Spirit, easyJet and Ryanair
Old Feb 15, 2012, 2:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
nsx is going to have to overcome a # of legit objections for me to consider voting for this.

Cheers.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Allegiant is said to be rolling out a loyalty program this year. To get credits it is supposed to require all travel products be bought directly thru them but will cover air, hotel, etc. (no points/miles for booking with loyalty program partners unless it is bought thru G4). They want to emphasize they are a travel company not just an airline.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 7:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
I think since everyone of those airlines already has a home, it's hard to justify creating another forum which would actually dilute place places to find information about them, making ti harder, not easier.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
nsx is going to have to overcome a # of legit objections for me to consider voting for this.

Cheers.
Can you state some of these "legit" objections?
Old Feb 17, 2012, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by FATFlyer
Allegiant is said to be rolling out a loyalty program this year. To get credits it is supposed to require all travel products be bought directly thru them but will cover air, hotel, etc. (no points/miles for booking with loyalty program partners unless it is bought thru G4). They want to emphasize they are a travel company not just an airline.
Why they never have a loyalty FF program. I wasn't sure why they didn't have a FF program for all of those year. This should be consider to get a brand new FF program. It's extremely importance who want to earning more point or miles, too. This should be right choice for everyone else.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 3:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by nsx
1. FTers are unlikely to fly these airlines more than once or twice. We need a convenient way to educate ourselves before booking that trip, not afterwards.
I have a proposal: how about creating a new forum entitled "Airlines To Stay Away From"?

Old Feb 21, 2012, 10:48 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by nsx
Since the Spirit forum proposal will fail, I would like to explore the interest in creating a forum for airlines that operate on the RyanAir model: loss leader fares with many added fees.

This would be different from the typical FT forum that focuses on one company or one geographic region. Instead it would contain information on how to navigate and even exploit the completely different fare and fee structure that these airlines use.

Reasons to have such a forum include:

2. We need a place to gripe about the travel experience or to brag about how we beat the system.

3. We will enjoy debating the pros and cons of this business model, especially if the company shills provide entertaining counterpoint.

Bolding mine: Given the proposed thread has a negative connotation to begin with, imho, I think this would become the norm and be an absolute nightmare for moderators

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.