Search

Comments Welcome: Voting Underway-Create Spirit Airlines Forum

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2012, 9:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by RichMSN
I would suggest that you stop trying to ascribe any ulterior motive to the vote other than "there just isn't enough volume," which to me is probably why others voted against it.
* That's why I voted against it.

Originally Posted by lin821
If you read the detailed explanation of how new forums are being considered on FT, you'll know there's nothing there about CEOs. Seriously. Please cut it.

FWIW, it may be hard for you to accept, but there's just not enough good arguments for TB to approve this motion. I don't know about what's in the store for the future. But I don't think you are helping your case or cause at all.
+1.

Originally Posted by Mary2e
I've never flown US Air. Never flown Spirit either. I not only do not hate the CEO, I've never heard of him.

The airline didn't meet the qualifications for a forum, no matter how hard to try to make it appear that there is a bias.
+1.

I'm basically done w/ this thread. Even if gkbiiii isn't moving on, I am.

Cheers.
Old Feb 26, 2012, 2:43 pm

Interesting to see how TalkBoard members do not understand what goes on inside the airlines. Sending letters to inverstor relations without explaining exactly what FlyerTalk is... well, don't expect a good response. Most airline employees in investor relations and PR don't know about this community or don't understand this community.

As much as I would like to see a Spirit Forum and think that FlyerTalk can benefit from it, it is up to the TalkBoard members to decided, and some of these members are business travelers that just don't like the LCC's because they don't offer the perks they are used to... I know most of them will trash me or delete this comments for saying this, but it is the truth.

As an airline employee and academic resercher in Loyalty Marketing and behavioral decision making, I've been able to understand what airline customers think of frequent flyer programs. In my opinion, Free Spirit should not even exist... just by doing simple math (using basic mile acquisition cost and fees charged), in 70% of the cases it costs more to redeem an award than buying the same ticket without using miles. In the end, customers get angree, but still fly Spirit because they are price sensitive and most of the times they are the cheapest.

To NK, Free Spirit is a good source of ancilliary revenue which genereates profits by giving customers miles but taking advantage of very complicated rules that VFR customers do not understand. Many LCC's, like EasyJet and Ryanair, have tried FF Programs and decided to discontinue them because they were very expensive to operate and customers never understood them... since NK is not a true LCC (*LCC definitions vary), and more of a hybrid LCC with hub and spoke + some O&D markets, they have been able to keep this program thanks to the revenues it generates from the cobranded credit card with BofA. Nevertheless, I think they are struggling to meet contractual targets of new card acquisitions and if they don't sign more partners, the program might struggle and prove to be unprofitable.

I don't think NK's management wants to push for a Free Spirit Forum in Flyertalk, since it will give customers an option to better understand the program and the award system...

This is a research papaer I wrote last year for a Research Conference:

http://scholarworks.umass.edu/cgi/vi...nf_hospitality
Old Feb 26, 2012, 3:35 pm
Ambassador, New England

Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice
Originally Posted by Rojo
I know most of them will trash me or delete this comments for saying this, but it is the truth.
You must be thinking of some other website that actually censors members' opinions. FT is not one that does that, and never has.
Old Feb 26, 2012, 7:25 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Sixt Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Avis First, Caesars TR Diamond, Mlife Gold
You know that Ben was the former Senior Vice President of Marketing for US Airways. From his days there, he knows quite a bit about Flyertalk and its view of him.

Spirits main problem with their BofA card, is that it is geared to top wage earners; people whom will not fly Spirit. Why they promote a World Mastercard (how many Spirit flyers even qualify for this) is beyond me. Their focus should be on secured cards, basic starter cards and debit cards. It seems to me, Spirit could make cash buy selling miles, something Us Airways has done with great abandon.
Old Feb 26, 2012, 8:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by gkbiiii
You know that Ben was the former Senior Vice President of Marketing for US Airways. From his days there, he knows quite a bit about Flyertalk and its view of him.
Yes, I did know that having read post#166. The horse, however, is still dead.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Interesting to see how TalkBoard members do not understand what goes on inside the airlines.
Why do you assume TB members don't understand airlines?

Sending letters to inverstor relations without explaining exactly what FlyerTalk is... well, don't expect a good response. Most airline employees in investor relations and PR don't know about this community or don't understand this community.
Recall that no one from TB sent a letter to NK

As much as I would like to see a Spirit Forum and think that FlyerTalk can benefit from it, it is up to the TalkBoard members to decided,
Correct, and they've decided that there is no need. Story's over

and some of these members are business travelers that just don't like the LCC's because they don't offer the perks they are used to
Seriously? How many times has it been shown, AGAIN AND AGAIN, that the forum was not approved because there hasn't been shown enough traffic for it. Everyone has made clear that they voted one way or the other EXCLUSIVELY BECAUSE OF THE TRAFFIC. Never before, and certainly not now, has TB ever considered their personal feelings of the airline in voting for it. Whether they hate it or not, they vote because of how the FORUM will do. They could care less about the airline itself.

I know most of them will trash me or delete this comments for saying this, but it is the truth.
Trash, yes. Delete - only because it's dilatory at this point since the vote has already happened. Not because of censorship

As an airline employee and academic resercher in Loyalty Marketing and behavioral decision making, I've been able to understand what airline customers think of frequent flyer programs. In my opinion, Free Spirit should not even exist... just by doing simple math (using basic mile acquisition cost and fees charged), in 70% of the cases it costs more to redeem an award than buying the same ticket without using miles. In the end, customers get angree, but still fly Spirit because they are price sensitive and most of the times they are the cheapest.

To NK, Free Spirit is a good source of ancilliary revenue which genereates profits by giving customers miles but taking advantage of very complicated rules that VFR customers do not understand. Many LCC's, like EasyJet and Ryanair, have tried FF Programs and decided to discontinue them because they were very expensive to operate and customers never understood them... since NK is not a true LCC (*LCC definitions vary), and more of a hybrid LCC with hub and spoke + some O&D markets, they have been able to keep this program thanks to the revenues it generates from the cobranded credit card with BofA. Nevertheless, I think they are struggling to meet contractual targets of new card acquisitions and if they don't sign more partners, the program might struggle and prove to be unprofitable.

I don't think NK's management wants to push for a Free Spirit Forum in Flyertalk, since it will give customers an option to better understand the program and the award system...

This is a research papaer I wrote last year for a Research Conference:

http://scholarworks.umass.edu/cgi/vi...nf_hospitality
Old Feb 27, 2012, 8:49 am

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Question Do you know who serve TalkBoard?

Interesting to see how TalkBoard members do not understand what goes on inside the airlines. Sending letters to inverstor relations without explaining exactly what FlyerTalk is... well, don't expect a good response. Most airline employees in investor relations and PR don't know about this community or don't understand this community.
Are you referring to gkbiiii, who wrote that letter?

Originally Posted by gkbiiii
February 8, 2012

DeAnne Gabel
Director Investor Relations
Spirit Airlines

[email protected]

Dear Director Gabel,

I am writing to you today, ....
As an airline employee and academic resercher ...
If you are indeed a researcher, I would have expected you have no problem finding who are the current TalkBoard Members and locating their say on airline operations. Whoever you are accusing of not understanding what goes on inside the airline business is not serving our TB.

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
The 2011 Elections have just concluded.

Joining the board in order of votes:
  1. goalie - 696
  2. kokonutz - 560
  3. nsx - 538
  4. jackal - 419
  5. RichMSN - 408

Continuing Talkboard members are:

bhatnasx
cholula
SkiAdcock
Spiff
Or maybe you know something that I don't know. Can you provide evidence of any of the above 9 TalkBoard Members who wrote to investor relations?
Old Feb 29, 2012, 12:46 am
Community Director Emerita

Enough.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.