Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

Discussion: TalkBoard motion pass/fail results reported in real-time? & related.

Discussion: TalkBoard motion pass/fail results reported in real-time? & related.

Old Feb 1, 2012, 10:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Dovster
So you do not consider it ridiculous that the forum was established before it was announced and that posts are being counted on the Game forum but not Omni?
You would have to discuss that w/ the Community Director.

Cheers.
Old Feb 1, 2012, 10:12 am
Original Poster

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
So you do not consider it ridiculous that the forum was established before it was announced and that posts are being counted on the Game forum but not Omni?
Well, I think we can all tell what the outcome of at least one vote was.

I do think that perhaps, in the future, the better option is for the CD to wait to create a new forum until the votes have been made public. However, should TalkBoard agree that once a motion receives enough votes that it will pass, or enough that it will fail, then perhaps the CD creating a forum as soon as a vote closes would not be taken as odd.
Old Feb 1, 2012, 10:12 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in PALMYRA, PA, USA
I think that it is awesome, incredible, wonderful and delightful that our Community Director is so responsive and efficient. Those with access to the private TB forum have known the outcome of all three of these votes for a week. She was clearly set to respond when the last vote was finally cast.

No sea gull manager, her! ^^^^^^^

As for Sharon's announcement, as I noted, the vote closed late on the east coast, not so late on the west coast where the CD tends to be.

I don't fault her for posting the results within 12 or so hours of the vote closing.
Old Feb 1, 2012, 10:13 am

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
You would have to discuss that w/ the Community Director.

Cheers.
But it was you, not her, who quoted my post about it and started your reply with "Oh good grief".
Old Feb 1, 2012, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by kipper
Well, I think we can all tell what the outcome of at least one vote was.

I do think that perhaps, in the future, the better option is for the CD to wait to create a new forum until the votes have been made public.
As noted, it's mostly just about time zones. And TB member(s) waiting until the last moment to vote. I am very pleased with the CD implementing recommendations quickly! Even ones like the games forum and their not counting that I voted against.

However, should TalkBoard agree that once a motion receives enough votes that it will pass, or enough that it will fail, then perhaps the CD creating a forum as soon as a vote closes would not be taken as odd.
Yes indeed.

And expect to see yet another announcement on that matter very, very, very soon! ^

Last edited by kokonutz; Feb 1, 2012 at 10:21 am
Old Feb 1, 2012, 10:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kokonutz
I think that it is awesome, incredible, wonderful and delightful that our Community Director is so responsive and efficient. Those with access to the private TB forum have known the outcome of all three of these votes for a week. She was clearly set to respond when the last vote was finally cast.

No sea gull manager, her! ^^^^^^^

As for Sharon's announcement, as I noted, the vote closed late on the east coast, not so late on the west coast where the CD tends to be.

I don't fault her for posting the results within 12 or so hours of the vote closing.
Notification once a motion will either pass or fail would allow the CD's responsiveness to not appear strange then. For some, it was a bit strange this morning.
Old Feb 1, 2012, 10:18 am
Original Poster

As noted, it's mostly just about time zones. I am very pleased with the CD implementing recommendations quickly!

Yes indeed.

And expect to see yet another announcement on that matter very, very, very soon! ^
You are, I believe, doing quite a bit of work on TalkBoard!!!
Old Feb 1, 2012, 11:56 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by N965VJ
Originally Posted by goalie
Actually, I'd rather see public discussion held, then closed and then have the vote take place as this would further eliminate the heated debate-and then if a motion passes or fails with the required number of votes before the voting period has ended, you could then post the results.

Public discussion opens
Public discussion held
Public discussion closes
Vote held
Vote results published

Yes, this might/could/would add time to the whole process but imho, it's a better way to go
I'm not sure closing threads for comment would end the debate; they could pop up elsewhere. For example: Talkboard is voting on allowing posts in Omni to count towards post totals in OMNI.
True that it won't end the debate but the way I see it is that if a motion has passed or failed, it's a done deal until someone wants to change it and afaic, that's the way to go. Move on from the current discussion as it stands as "it ain't gonna change the results" as imho, there are other issues to be discussed (or in other words, don't beat the dead horse) and that would be a deal breaker for me
Old Feb 1, 2012, 10:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Nice in theory to have real time results of votes.. but, in real life its better to have everyone vote confidentially until the vote closes and then post the results..
Old Feb 1, 2012, 10:54 pm

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
Nice in theory to have real time results of votes.. but, in real life its better to have everyone vote confidentially until the vote closes and then post the results..
Everyone would continue to vote confidentially under this proposal until the vote closes.

Unless, of course, a member decides to announce publicly that he voted (or how he voted) you would have no idea of who favors and who opposes a motion before the voting has finished.

You would simply know that the motion has passed or has failed.

As all the TalkBoard members already know the moment that someone votes if he was in favor or against the motion, and they are the only ones who can vote on it, there is nothing in this motion which would influence the outcome of a vote.
Old Feb 1, 2012, 11:07 pm

Programs: US,HH
Why the need for confidential votes? It is published at the end of the vote anyway. I'd like to know what is going on in real time. It does influence my voting decision.

I'm curious as to who was the hold out on this last vote and why.

Was she/he out of town? Ill? Undecided and waiting for more inpt from the FT members? Playing a game with the FT members and purposely making them wait?
Old Feb 2, 2012, 5:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by kellio33
Was she/he out of town? Ill? Undecided and waiting for more inpt from the FT members? Playing a game with the FT members and purposely making them wait?
It may be any or none of the above. Regardless, the published requirements of TalkBoard are that each member has a two-week window in which to vote.

As long as that requirement is met, I do not believe it is appropriate to hold any TalkBoard member in any less regard due to the specific time period in which they voted.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 7:06 am

Originally Posted by kellio33
Why the need for confidential votes? It is published at the end of the vote anyway. I'd like to know what is going on in real time. It does influence my voting decision.

I'm curious as to who was the hold out on this last vote and why.

I'm on the record in support of public, by TB member name, voting because I believe you deserve answers to your questions. And I could tell you the answers to at least some of your questions (although I can't get inside a TB member's mind to know their motivation), but that would be in violation of the TB's secrecy rules. Rules which unfortunately protect this sort of action/behavior from becoming known to the posters. That's frustrating.

You deserve the transparency you seek.

Unfortunately, I believe I am the only current TB member who supports public real time voting. Hence the compromise of announcing when a vote has enough votes to pass or fail. Not nearly far enough for me, personally. But a positive step in the right direction.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 7:12 am
Original Poster

I'm on the record in support of public, by TB member name, voting because I believe you deserve answers to your questions. And I could tell you the answers to at least some of your questions (although I can't get inside a TB member's mind to know their motivation), but that would be in violation of the TB's secrecy rules. Rules which unfortunately protect this sort of action/behavior from becoming known to the posters. That's frustrating.

Unfortunately, I believe I am the only current TB member who supports public real time voting. Hence the compromise of announcing when a vote has enough votes to pass or fail. Not nearly far enough for me, personally. But a positive step in the right direction.
Sometimes, you have to take baby steps, because as long as they are going forward, it's progress of some sort.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium

I would support this, *but* I have concerns about the pressure put on voters who may simply be away from their computers for a few days.

Personally, I think that voters have enough ammo as it is. It's easy to find out, using public tools how many posts TB members have made in the public TB Topics forum, for example, since a certain date has passed.

Here are the number of posts made in the last month by TalkBoard members in this forum:

162, 106, 103, 39, 34, 32, 23, 17, 0.

Last edited by RichMSN; Feb 2, 2012 at 7:36 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.